Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

East Palestine, OH train wreck

Featured Replies

Not that it's in Ky but with the wreck last week and the unintentional dumping of chemicals into the Ohio river, the map I saw last night show a huge area of Kentucky's drinking water that could be effected by this accident. Anyone smarter than me that could clarify if we should be on alert or not?

Personally we are on alert because of this.  I live in Nky.  We are buying essentially a whole home filtration system.  

I feel bad for the people who live in Palestine.  From what I can see on TV, it looks like a lower income neighborhood.  They were all told it was safe to go back home, with little clean up and soil soaked in oil.  Many people have wells.  Doesn’t sound like they are getting much help and even less information.  I can’t help but think that if it happened in a wealthier neighborhood, there would have been a better response to the problem.  I am usually not a litigious person, but I hope the community unites and finds a really good law firm.

1 minute ago, Beechwoodfan said:

I feel bad for the people who live in Palestine.  From what I can see on TV, it looks like a lower income neighborhood.  They were all told it was safe to go back home, with little clean up and soil soaked in oil.  Many people have wells.  Doesn’t sound like they are getting much help and even less information.  I can’t help but think that if it happened in a wealthier neighborhood, there would have been a better response to the neighborhood.  I am usually not a litigious person, but I hope the community unites and finds a really good law firm.

I would say the same thing for a poor neighborhood in a big city.  

I hate to be that guy but I think it's only going to get worse.  

20 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

I hate to be that guy but I think it's only going to get worse.  

What do you mean?

25 minutes ago, theguru said:

What do you mean?

Long term ramifications.  The stuff that leaked is highly carcinogenic. 

22 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Long term ramifications.  The stuff that leaked is highly carcinogenic. 

I agree.  Look at the water, this is an absolute disaster and I feel very sorry for the people there.

 

The people there are not stupid, just poor.  Very, very sad situation.  Can you imagine not having any financial recourse but to return to your home and then putting your kids in a bath tub?  Sounds like a Grisham book in the making.

I have a little bit of knowledge in these areas and family members who work with NS at pretty high levels. Everyone needs to shift their concern from our treated water and turn it to the contaminated soil, the polluted air and the acid rain that will happen as a result. 

Many here at home (NKY) are very vocal about the water and they are correct that contaminants are running downstream, but every second that the river flows this contaminant is becoming more and more diluted as it nears us. Our water treatment (especially locally) has become so technologically advanced that they could clean water from issues even worse than this. Personally, if water is a concern, these individuals need to see some of the water tests from the areas where some barges are loaded or factories outflow (even after they perform whatever purification duties they have to do) that are located right here in town. There are smaller contaminations at these sites all the time, that impact our water much more directly. 

My concern is on the carcinogenic soil that kids will continue to play on for decades in that area. I worry about all the rain we JUST GOT yesterday and if some of the contaminated air from the disastrously burning of materials had made its way this way to now contaminate our soil or the puddle some kid jumped in yesterday after they got off the school bus. I worry about the ground water that people may rely on via wells in the area. I worry about their water (even treated) in the directly impacted area because the spill was substantial. 

There needs to be public outcry, and I don't believe for a second we'll ever be told all of the answers, even from my own families employer, but the outrage is in the wrong place, especially considering the NKY are, when it's directed at our treated water, IMO. 

  • Author

My outrage is directed directly at how NS is handling the issue in East Palenstine. I'm smart enough to know that the water I'm getting in NKY is contaminated with all kinds of stuff, but I also trust the purification system as I have worked in the treatment plants before. The main issue I have is these residents being told "All is well, go back home" when we all know that's not 100% true. 

15 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

My outrage is directed directly at how NS is handling the issue in East Palenstine. I'm smart enough to know that the water I'm getting in NKY is contaminated with all kinds of stuff, but I also trust the purification system as I have worked in the treatment plants before. The main issue I have is these residents being told "All is well, go back home" when we all know that's not 100% true. 

100% in lockstep here. 

No Politics Policy

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, lawmaker, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, White House, Capitol, General Assembly, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, bill, House Bill (HBxxx), Senate Bill (SBxxx), legislative process, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

I just listened to someone talk about this and he said the cleanup will require months of water, air, and soil testing.  He also said get out of there for now.  Seems like common sense to me. With that said, I would think many of the residents are in no position to afford leaving and I see this whole incident as another breakdown of the system where some of the "weakest" among us are left behind.  I think it is despicable. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.