8th Region Coach of the Year?

I have seen other regions have this conversation, so I figured it was time to start a thread for the 8th Region. With the insane competition in this years region, this one will be a tough vote for anyone. If I had a vote, I would do base it majorly on the most successful team lacking the best tallent. 

Here are my front runners (not in any order):

Bryant Hyatt - Anderson County: Coach Hyatt has brought the Bearcats back to where they were years ago. Over the last few years, Anderson County has struggled to find their identity. In the last 2 years, they have a combined record of 14-31. This year, they are currently sitting at 17-6, and have clinched the #3 spot in the toughest District in the region. Along with this record, they have a huge upset over Collins. My main reason behind this is the lack of talent this team has compared to other teams in the region. Every other team with a record similar has someone that should make the all-region team, and this team does not have that. 

Joseph Utter - Grant County: Coaching one of the best players in the region might seem easy, but it is not as easy as it seems. When there is talent around them it is not as hard, however Grant County does not have loads of talent outside of Dylan Hammonds. Coach Utter currently has his team sitting at 20-4, the most wins in the region. They have huge wins over Conner, Oldham County, and Owen County. This team was expected to be middle of the pack in my eyes, but they have made noise in the region throughout the year and plan on doing the same thing going into the postseason. 

Trent Steiner - Simon Kenton: This team was expected to be pretty good, but nowhere near where they are right now. The Pioneers lost some talent last year, but they had their 2 main pieces back in Travis Krohman and Gabe Dynes. After watching this team many times in the last 2 years I would say that last years team had more talent, but they lacked one thing: defense. Coach Steiner has turned this team into a defensive masterpiece only allowing 50 ppg. After only going 14-12 last year, this group is sitting at 15-8 and #3 in the region, and also clinched the #1 seed in the 32nd District. They have big wins over North Oldham, Cooper, and Ashland-Blazer. 

David Levitch - North Oldham: If he isn't on your list, then you missed one. Majority would say that he has some of the best talent in the region under his arms, but I believe majority of it is because of him. Outside of Dallas Roberts, there isn't many guys wearing a North Oldham jersey that shows a load of talent, they play within Coach Levitch's system. Playing probably the toughest schedule in the region, the 'Stangs are currently 18-5, #1 in the region and #4 in the state. North Oldham has multiple wins over teams ranked top-20 in the state, and since their grueling Christmas break schedule they have been unstoppable, winning all 7 games since the beginning of 2023. 

Chris Gaither - Collins: It seems like he is in this conversation every year, and it is well deserved. The Titans have put together another incredible season, and probably one of Coach Gaither's best coaching seasons of his career. In past years, he has had loads of talent and won with it every year. The one contrary to other years is that this team does not have that huge standout player, and surprisingly their best player is more of a standout in football than he is basketball. I have had the ability to watch this team many times this year and the 2 main things that continuously stand out is consistency and defense. This team will not beat themselves offensively, they are patient and get good looks each offensive possession. Defensively they are giving up 50.7 ppg against a tough schedule. Currently, they are 19-3 on the year, ranked #2 in the region and #15 in the state. 

Gaither. Team plays super sound on both ends. Seems to have created a team dynamic where winning is the priority for all the kids regardless of role. Hard to do!  I do think his teams have played tight in the past in the region tourney and at times he’s over coached and cost his team a few games. Curious to see if he’s evolved…

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Colonel-Rebel Fan said:

Josh Leslie, Oldham.  New coach, lost a lot from last year.  Pretty solid overall.

I would probably have him towards the upper-middle of the pack. He has one of the best players in the region, and has one of the biggest schools in the region to get his players from. 

I think the losses against some teams they should have definitely beat and some blow out losses to some teams that were not expected takes him out of the conversation. 

18 minutes ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

I would probably have him towards the upper-middle of the pack. He has one of the best players in the region, and has one of the biggest schools in the region to get his players from. 

I think the losses against some teams they should have definitely beat and some blow out losses to some teams that were not expected takes him out of the conversation. 

I agree mostly, but he’s new.  Will have a lot to prove next year for sure.

I would argue that Steiner and Utter have large schools to get players from and have never really made a real threat to winning the region.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Colonel-Rebel Fan said:

I agree mostly, but he’s new.  Will have a lot to prove next year for sure.

I would argue that Steiner and Utter have large schools to get players from and have never really made a real threat to winning the region.

I 100% agree with that, however more for Utter rather than Steiner. 
I feel that almost every year SK has been a threat to win it, just can not do it when the time comes.

• Like 1

You have several very qualified candidates for this honor this year; it's not so cut-and-dried.

At the end of the day, it will depend upon the criteria the voters give most credence to.   Wins?   Improvement in the wins column over last year?   Getting the most with less?   Development from December to February?   Big wins (and no bad losses)?

Hard to argue with Hyatt if you simply look at improvement over last year...

For big wins, it's hard to knock Levitch and Gaither, both of who have taken on - and beaten - "all comers".   Neither has a really "bad loss"....   

People sometimes forget Levitch is still in his early days as a head coach; he's only been a head coach for 5 years (which also means he's the longest-tenured coach in NOHS boys' history).  

I think Trent has surprised some folks with how potent this SK team has been, especially on the defensive end.    

Joe Utter has turned Grant into a consistent force.....if the Braves win the brutally tough 32nd, he grabs a few extra feathers for his cap....

I don't think it's fair to knock a coach down because their roster has a modicum of talent.    Coaching "talent" isn't always as easy as you think.    You coach the hand you're dealt....and hope for the best.

Nice thread!   Hadn't really thought about this.....but this will be a very interesting vote this year....and some deserving coaches will be passed by, unfortunately.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

My vote goes to Gaither, most certainly has done more with less.

With less? Kenyon Goodin is one of the best athletes in the state and he's shooting 50% from 3. Not to mention Quintin Simmons and the sophomore Cochran whose pushing 6'7. That trio is up there among best trios in the region. Gaither is a definite contender but its because of that record, not because hes over-performing his talent. In my humble opinion at least.

• Like 1

Based on BluegrassPreps.com state rankings, both North Oldham and Collins have outperformed their preseason or early-season rankings.   Woodford was ranked in the top 20 to begin the season, but has struggled with injuries since day one.  Woodford and Anderson's wins over Collins surprised me, but Collins overall record and ranking suggest they have outperformed expectations. North Oldham has been without their 2nd leading scorer for the last 5 or 6 games.  That injury may come back to hurt them down the stretch with games against Grant, Spencer, Collins and St. X.

Thus far, both Collins and North Oldham have exceeded early expectations and are ranked in the top 20 in the state - definitely making their coaches worthy of post-season accolades. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, wingt51 said:

With less? Kenyon Goodin is one of the best athletes in the state and he's shooting 50% from 3. Not to mention Quintin Simmons and the sophomore Cochran whose pushing 6'7. That trio is up there among best trios in the region. Gaither is a definite contender but its because of that record, not because hes over-performing his talent. In my humble opinion at least.

I think in comparison to other years this is with less. Their 2019-2020 squad was a special group of talent, had 2 D1 commits on the team. 

• Like 1

I think if the criteria was who has made the biggest difference in the way their team has played it would be Jacob Cheesman. He has those boys believing  they're going to win. They have a different mindset from what they have had in the past.

2 hours ago, Deaconjim said:

I think if the criteria was who has made the biggest difference in the way their team has played it would be Jacob Cheesman. He has those boys believing  they're going to win. They have a different mindset from what they have had in the past.

Plus, they have a little more talent also.

• Like 2