Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Easy Fix for Football Playoffs

Fix the Football Playoffs 32 members have voted

  1. 1. Does letting teams opt out of round 1 of the football playoffs solve the "problem"?

    • Yes, that solves the "problem".
      21%
      7
    • No, that does not solve the "problem".
      78%
      25

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I will give this its own thread. The annual discussion about the football playoffs is in full force in multiple threads. I have proposed a super easy solution that should satisfy everyone. 

Let teams opt out of round one of the playoffs!

Tell me why that doesn't solve the "problem".

  • Replies 93
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • What would be next?  Teams wanting the ability not to have to play Douglass in the regular season too?  I don't like it at all. Either cut the classes back or eliminate a round of the playoffs. 

  • The 4 classes was perfect. But, unfortunately not everyone got a ribbon. Too many thought it was unfair little Jim Bob played all those years and never got his chance to experience post season footbal

  • Because you signed up to play.

Seems teams opt out now if they want. I don't think it solves the issue of blow outs. I like 4th place or 5th place team gets eliminated and 1 seed gets bye while 2 & 3 seeds play.

  • Author
7 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Seems teams opt out now if they want. I don't think it solves the issue of blow outs. I like 4th place or 5th place team gets eliminated and 1 seed gets bye while 2 & 3 seeds play.

If we are trying to solve blowouts, there is only one solution. Reduce the number of teams playing football in the state to about 50. There will be blowouts in every round and perhaps even in a title game. 

Is that what people want fixed - blowouts?

I don't care for it at all.

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Because??

Because you signed up to play.

8 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

If we are trying to solve blowouts, there is only one solution. Reduce the number of teams playing football in the state to about 50. There will be blowouts in every round and perhaps even in a title game. 

Is that what people want fixed - blowouts?

I also would let teams eliminated to play extra game against eliminated team if they like. So would still get a post season game.

2 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I also would let teams eliminated to play extra game against eliminated team if they like. So would still get a post season game.

Too many issues for the players in playing a meaningless game after the season. 

  • Author
11 minutes ago, theguru said:

Because you signed up to play.

But you don't know how a season is going to go. Last year Conner beat Highlands and won their round 1 playoff game against Cooper. This year they are down and Douglass is up even higher. Conner could have conceded round 1 this year. 

9 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Too many issues for the players in playing a meaningless game after the season. 

Why would be optional or I'm fine not doing it.

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

But you don't know how a season is going to go. Last year Conner beat Highlands and won their round 1 playoff game against Cooper. This year they are down and Douglass is up even higher. Conner could have conceded round 1 this year. 

What would be next?  Teams wanting the ability not to have to play Douglass in the regular season too?  I don't like it at all.

Either cut the classes back or eliminate a round of the playoffs. 

Just now, Tigerpride94 said:

Why would be optional or I'm fine not doing it.

If the season is over, it's just a meaningless game and no reason to risk players any further. Let them move on to the next sport.

  • Author
28 minutes ago, theguru said:

What would be next?  Teams wanting the ability not to have to play Douglass in the regular season too?  I don't like it at all.

Either cut the classes back or eliminate a round of the playoffs. 

TP94 raised a question for me. What are we trying to fix? Blowouts? If that is what we are trying to fix, then every proposed change has to pass the test - will this stop blowouts? Cutting classes or eliminating a round of the playoffs will not fix that. More than half the games this coming weekend will be won by 3 TD's or more. Last year almost every single round 3 game in the entire state was won by 21 points or more. If we are trying to fix blowouts, that is impossible.

This is always the solution to the problem, "teams can opt out if they want".  It's a non-starter and just a way to end the argument.  It's not realistic and it's should not be up to a team to "opt out".  If I get arrested, do I get an option to "opt out" of jail?  If I'm bad at my job, do I get to "opt out" of getting fired? 

Come on man.  

Blowouts happen every week; this is high school football, not the NFL. I think the smoothest way to fix the issue without changing the number of classes is to give the 1st seed a bye.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.