Somerset 35 Paintsville 34 (OT)

Carl Spackler

Final from Paintsville.  Paintsville scored to cut it to one in overtime. Somerset jumped offsides on the extra point so the Tigers decided to go for 2 and the win.  They punched it in but were flagged for an illegal formation and a personal foul/ejection after the play setting up a try from the 21. The pass was knocked down and Somerset held on.   After the game the Paintsville AD (according to the Paintsville broadcasters) charged the officials and was flagged and ejected AFTER the game.  Wild ending. 

• Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to Somerset 35 Paintsville 34 (OT)
30 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Final from Paintsville.  Paintsville scored to cut it to one in overtime. Somerset jumped offsides on the extra point so the Tigers decided to go for 2 and the win.  They punched it in but were flagged for an illegal formation and a personal foul/ejection after the play setting up a try from the 21. The pass was knocked down and Somerset held on.   After the game the Paintsville AD (according to the Paintsville broadcasters) charged the officials and was flagged and ejected AFTER the game.  Wild ending. 

If true it should be career ending. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, theguru said:

If true it should be career ending. 

You could see it on the broadcast. My only question is was he their AD like the announcers said.  He didn't make contact with them, the police got between him and the officials before it escalated.  The teams were shaking hands with no incident. Just some adults acting foolish. 

11 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

You could see it on the broadcast. My only question is was he their AD like the announcers said.  He didn't make contact with them, the police got between him and the officials before it escalated.  The teams were shaking hands with no incident. Just some adults acting foolish. 

In that case, maybe a 30 day suspension. 

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Sadly this isn’t the first time that school has done something like that. Back in the 1989 second round of the Class A playoffs Beechwood came back from 19-0 halftime deficit to defeat them 20-19. After the game their players and coaches attacked the refs and the Beechwood players. They thought the Refs were making bad calls on them. So there was a huge fight. 

Then in the 1991 Class A playoffs we beat them 54-12 in the 1st round. They had I think 15 players ejected. It got so bad the Ft Mitchell police wouldn’t even let them shake hands after the game. 

20 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Sadly this isn’t the first time that school has done something like that. Back in the 1989 second round of the Class A playoffs Beechwood came back from 19-0 halftime deficit to defeat them 20-19. After the game their players and coaches attacked the refs and the Beechwood players. They thought the Refs were making bad calls on them. So there was a huge fight. 

So, I was coaching at Beechwood in 1989 and I remember that game well but I do not have any recollection of incident you are referring to. 

3 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

It may have been the AD, but Somerset radio thought it was one of the coordinators.

From what I was told by someone at the game it was an assistant coach that went after and bumped the official. Paintsville can’t complain about the officials in this game. The white hat that was assigned to the game does all of their youth and middle school officiating.  One of the other officials is a Paintsville graduate and another is the uncle of a recent Paintsville player. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theguru said:

So, I was coaching at Beechwood in 1989 and I remember that game well but I do not have any recollection of incident you are referring to. 

I was in the 7th grade I remember it like it was yesterday. I thought there might be a video of it if the game somewhere. If there it I well send it to you. 

7 hours ago, theguru said:

I found the video I will send it to you. Why did we play Paintsville and Pikeville both on Saturday afternoon in 89 instead of Friday Night or do you know? 

4 hours ago, Czar said:

From what I was told by someone at the game it was an assistant coach that went after and bumped the official. Paintsville can’t complain about the officials in this game. The white hat that was assigned to the game does all of their youth and middle school officiating.  One of the other officials is a Paintsville graduate and another is the uncle of a recent Paintsville player. 

The officiating crew was awful the whole game.  On the two point conversation play on which Paintsville drew the 2 flags they deliberated for at least 5 minutes before making the call.  Overall the flags were running mostly in Paintsville's favor, but those last 2 were costly.