Central Hardin at Apollo Predictions/Updates

Central Hardin at Apollo  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup of Districts 1 and 2

• Central Hardin
    • Apollo

This poll is closed to new votes

Scheduling wins this season for Tim Mattingly and Central Hardin included DeSales, Butler, and also includes the next two upcoming games at Apollo and back home to host John Hardin. Unless the wheels come off in the next two games, I expect Central Hardin to go on the road to Henderson County with a 4-0 record. This game at Henderson County will be their first test of the season. With injuries mounting, it is safe to say that Central Hardin will not be at full strength for this game and may need to score 36 or more points to keep up with a potent Henderson County offense. 

Back to the Apollo matchup. Although the Central Hardin defense has shut out two straight opponents, this week will be the first true test for a young defensive secondary. DeSales and Butler presented no true threat thru the air. Apollo could find success in throwing the ball this Friday but must keep DE Adam Hobbs from creating chaos in the offensive backfield. 

Another scheduled win for Central Hardin!

• Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to Central Hardin at Apollo Predictions/Updates
2 hours ago, Irish Cat said:

If Apollo plays as well as they did against OHS, I think they will win.  

We certainly looked good in the first half. Need to put together 4 quarters of football.

I’ve been telling folks locally, these next two weeks would be a good yardstick for us going into our district.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hardin County Preps said:

Irish Cat. Please help me understand how giving up 62 points in your last game is playing well?

To be fair, no one thought we would ever be in the game. Late into the first half it was 20-18 with the difference in score being two blocked PAT's. Apollo had blocked one of OHS's PAT's as well. You hear it all the time "this game was closer than the final score would indicate." It's a true statement here. A couple of miscues early in the second half took the wind out of Apollo's sails and got the clock running. Was it a masterpiece? No. Was it better than week one against Ocath despite the score being more spread? Yes. 

Edit: I haven't seen Central Hardin, but I would dare say that they wouldn't fare much better against OHS. I think OHS is better this year than they were with Wimsatt last year. 

Edited by wrn1979
Edited because I am suffering from expressive written aphasia today

@wrn1979OHS/Apollo game:

27-12

27-18 (Close as it got)

1 play later 35-18

Then 41-18 at half.

That said, Apollo has a quick QB and some good WR’s and a good RB.  They will score some points.  If they come out against CH like they did against O, it will be a good game.  I’ll take Apollo because Edge great coach and they got some playmakers.

Apollo 35-28

6 hours ago, Hardin County Preps said:

Irish Cat. Please help me understand how giving up 62 points in your last game is playing well?

In my opinion if Apollo plays to the level that they did on Friday than they will be competitive in the rest of the games on the schedule.  Owensboro's offense is not going to be contained unless up against an exceptional team such as St. X.  It would not surprise me if they go for 50+ the rest of the regular season.  

This is one of the reasons I like BGP.  This is a game I typically wouldn't pay attention to, but because of the info above, it really is an interesting game and one that's important for both teams in the pre-distict schedule.

It made me want to contribute here so:

These 2 teams have played 4 times since 1998 (before that - I don't know).  They also had a Covid cancellation in 2020.

2003 - Apollo 33  CH 16

2004 - Apollo 49  CH 7

2019 - CH 51  Apollo 20

2021 - CH 43  Apollo 13

Calpreps says  CH 34 - Apollo 19.

I'll be tuning in to see how it goes!  Good luck to both teams!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wrn1979 said:

To be fair, no one thought we would ever be in the game. Late into the first half it was 20-18 with the difference in score being two blocked PAT's. Apollo had blocked one of OHS's PAT's as well. You hear it all the time "this game was closer than the final score would indicate." It's a true statement here. A couple of miscues early in the second half took the wind out of Apollo's sails and got the clock running. Was it a masterpiece? No. Was it better than week one against Ocath despite the score being more spread? Yes. 

Edit: I haven't seen Central Hardin, but I would dare say that they wouldn't fare much better against OHS. I think OHS is better this year than they were with Wimsatt last year. 

I wouldn't agree that this game was closer than the score would indicate.  If I recall correctly the OHS 1st team offense scored a TD every drive except for the one where Apollo got an INT inside the 20.  Everyone I talked to expected a running clock and that is what we got, fairly early in the 3rd quarter.  

That being said Apollo was 1000% better than their first game vs OCHS.  It couldn't have got any worse there was no where to go but up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brown said:

@wrn1979OHS/Apollo game:

27-12

27-18 (Close as it got)

1 play later 35-18

Then 41-18 at half.

That said, Apollo has a quick QB and some good WR’s and a good RB.  They will score some points.  If they come out against CH like they did against O, it will be a good game.  I’ll take Apollo because Edge great coach and they got some playmakers.

Apollo 35-28

Fair enough on the score. I rarely can remember such things. I was discussing the game with our athletic director yesterday and regurgitated a number he gave. 

• Haha 1

Fair enough. Apollo has played a tougher schedule so far. Central Hardin did lose their leading rusher for 4-6 weeks Vs Butler but the strength of this team is their defensive/ offensive lines size and depth. TE/ DE Adam Hobbs and brother OL/DL Andrew Hobbs are big and athletic along the line of scrimmage. QB Zach Spurrier is also a run/pass threat at 6’3”. Brayden Robbins at 6’3” is also a threat at the TE/DE position. CH Vanbijenburgh puts most kick off in the end zone and made a 28 yard FG last week. Central Hardin has worn down the first 2 opponents with depth and size in the second half of these games. This could be the best  defense Apollo has faced.

• Thanks 1

During an interview before the season started, CH coach Tim Mattingly mentioned that this years team has the most size of any CH team in his 9 years at CH. If CH has a weakness it is in the defensive secondary. Only 2 players return from last season and one of those is out with an injury. If Central Hardin can get some pass plays to TE Adam Hobbs 6’5” 260# he can create matchup problems with any secondary in the state. CH is more RB by committee this season and can go 4 deep. 

Good luck to Apollo Friday. 

My favorite part of the thread was completely overlooking this game and the next one to preview Henderson Co vs Central Hardin.  Central may win this game, but I could certainly see a path to victory for Apollo.  After the first two games, I do not have much of a pulse on the Eagles, but they at least flashed some fight against Owensboro in the first half last week.  I know they're missing some guys in the trenches for the first 3 weeks and that has no doubt had an impact on them.  The trenches will be the key to the game.  If Apollo can't stop the run, it's going to be a long night.  If they can at least slow down the run, I think they can have enough success in the passing game to keep this game close and possibly steal it.  One area that needs to drastically improve for Apollo is the kicking game.  The PAT's have looked so bad thru the first 2 weeks that I would probably just go for 2 every time.  That could be the difference in this game or any close game Apollo is in this season for that matter.  Lastly, there is no way you can convince me that Central Hardin's defense is on the level of the Devils.  I'll go homer here and side with Coach Edge in most toss up situations.

Apollo 32 - CH 28

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1