Walton Verona vs. Holy Cross Covington Predictions/Updates

Who do you think will win this game?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win?

• Walton Verona
    • Holy Cross

7 minutes ago, CardinalsFan said:

Is WV their typical strong self?  HC lost this game 47-24 last year. Can the Bearcats put up that many points again this year?

-CardinalsFan

I will take the Bearcats. 38-20. Bearcats have a solid run game, passing game isn’t there. I think the Bearcats are just the same as last year. They lost a lot of talent to graduation. 

This is one of those games where Holy Cross’ best defense is going to be a run-control offense. Eat up the clock and avoid negative plays. Unfortunately, I don’t think their offense is really built that way this year with the loss of their big fullback to Scott. They are much more of a big play type offense which seldom works against disciplined teams. 

Does WV play most guys both ways or do they do some two-platooning?

-CardinalsFan

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CardinalsFan said:

This is one of those games where Holy Cross’ best defense is going to be a run-control offense. Eat up the clock and avoid negative plays. Unfortunately, I don’t think their offense is really built that way this year with the loss of their big fullback to Scott. They are much more of a big play type offense which seldom works against disciplined teams. 

Does WV play most guys both ways or do they do some two-platooning?

-CardinalsFan

I would assume they play both sides. I don’t think they have the number of athletes or players to platoon. 

1 hour ago, The sarge said:

What would be the upset?

46 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

I think Holy Cross winning would be an absolute upset, but maybe I'm alone.

I agree with Double Deuce. Holy Cross winning would be an upset.

47 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

I think Holy Cross winning would be an absolute upset, but maybe I'm alone.

It would be an upset, no doubt about it.  Look at the past several years.  Walton-Verona is, as far as I can tell, a pretty well-oiled football machine.  They are consistently winning playoff games and even going deep in the playoffs every now and then.

Holy Cross has struggled in recent years due to numbers and being miscast as a 2A school when their size is clearly 1A.  They graduated a ton, their QB from last year is in Cincinnati now and their big FB/DL is at Scott.  There are many new players, several of which have never played football, trying to help steer the ship back to competitive football.

Tonight will be a good test for a half but just can't see Holy Cross having enough to withstand the Bearcats for 4 quarters.

Hope I'm wrong.

-CardinalsFan