Owensboro vs. Apollo Predictions/Updates

Red Devils vs. Eagles   

20 members have voted

1. 1. The winner will be...

• Owensboro
    • Apollo

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/26/2022 at 11:00 PM

6qozis.thumb.jpg.f7cb5155092514a9150135da2af8dd0f.jpg

Devils begin pursuit of City/County Championship

Records: Both are 0-1

BGP Ranking: Owensboro #2 in 5A | Apollo unranked 

Series History: Owensboro leads 37-12 all-time 

Table Setter: For the second straight season, Owensboro fought valiantly against a stout St. X side before succumbing to the bigger school. Games like that, against the best competition the bluegrass state has to offer, will only benefit the Red Devils as they seek to elevate the program to a championship level. The level they occupy at the moment, should have them racking up wins from now till at least mid to late November.

Cross town rival Apollo is hoping to catch Owensboro on the come down from the marquee game of Week 1. But the Eagles may need more than just an Owensboro hangover after getting thrashed by Owensboro Catholic last week. The Aces winning wasn't a shocker, but the 42-14 final score turned a few heads. A lone bright spot was Donte Dixon, who ran for over a hundred yards and a pair of scores. The performance did not merit a passing grade for Apollo, and anything short of their "A game" this week may result in another humbling defeat to an opponent that will demand excellence. 

Owensboro won last year 44-7, with Apollo score coming late against JV.  O put up over 500 yards and had 5 TD’s called back!  Owensboro has won 17 of the last 18 with Apollo’s only win coming on a Hail Mary in 2017, a down O team.  Last 4 years:’

2018 O 40-0

2019 O 46-0

2020 O 50-13

2021  O 44-7

Last year Carbon had 4 TD’s on 7 carries and had 2-3 more called back on various plays.

• Like 3

Red Devils win 63-14. With freshman squad scoring a couple. Freshman running back Hampton gets his 1st varsity touchdown of the season kid is going to be a STUD! Would like to see a lot of the younger guys get reps to build the depth that will be needed come playoffs.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brown said:

Owensboro won last year 44-7, with Apollo score coming late against JV.  O put up over 500 yards and had 5 TD’s called back!  Owensboro has won 17 of the last 18 with Apollo’s only win coming on a Hail Mary in 2017, a down O team.  Last 4 years:’

2018 O 40-0

2019 O 46-0

2020 O 50-13

2021  O 44-7

Last year Carbon had 4 TD’s on 7 carries and had 2-3 more called back on various plays.

That Hail Mary game was a crazy game!  But that's when they were trying to run wing-T I think.  Hard to see O running that ever again.

8 hours ago, Devils Fan said:

Red Devils win 63-14. With freshman squad scoring a couple. Freshman running back Hampton gets his 1st varsity touchdown of the season kid is going to be a STUD! Would like to see a lot of the younger guys get reps to build the depth that will be needed come playoffs.

You're about to see a Freshman explosion with these next couple games or four.  By the time they get in, it will be like a video game for them.

• Like 2

Loved the play calling last week. Hats off to the new OC.  The only thing that I saw was in the goal line situation, I would have 6-4 Pendleton 1-v-1 on the outside not Rogers, who is 5-11.  I get it Rogers is the WR1, but Pendleton can get balls no body can defend.  Might have been a great option at the goal line.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Brown said:

Loved the play calling last week. Hats off to the new OC.  The only thing that I saw was in the goal line situation, I would have 6-4 Pendleton 1-v-1 on the outside not Rogers, who is 5-11.  I get it Rogers is the WR1, but Pendleton can get balls no body can defend.  Might have been a great option at the goal line.

Totally agree.  Some great play calls by O.  There were multiple start left and go right with 3 WRs vs 2.

I liked how they platooned the RB spot to keep them fresh.

But yeah, the goal line scenario was the only sore spot.  I would have loved to have seen a wildcat to Carbon also.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 6:09 AM, Brown said:

Just now finding out OHS had a new OC.. I had a feeling coach Reese wasn’t making those calls. Not to speak down on him great guy and teacher but his play calling as a OC wasn’t the best to put it nicely.  Glad the Devils got somebody new in there finally. Based off the X game he knows what he’s doing. I’m really excited to see how this yr plays out.

• Like 1