Owensboro Catholic at Apollo Predictions/Updates

Owensboro Catholic at Apollo predictions   

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• OC
    • Apollo

• theguru changed the title to Owensboro Catholic at Apollo Predictions/Updates

Should be a good one in the John Edge Bowl!  Since coming over to Apollo Coach Edge is 2-0 against his former school.  Owensboro Catholic made a nice run to close the season and into the playoffs last year, playing Lexington Christian very well for a half.  The Eagles took another step in building a winning culture last year but ended in a close playoff loss to Henderson.  

Apollo returns a ton of skill position players that should be the difference in this one.  Expect QB Christian Combs to be even sharper this season in year 2 of Coach Edge's system with weapons like Noah Rhinerson, Eli Masterson and Carter Contratto.  The Eagles feature a nice run game to compliment the pass with returning RB Donte Dixon.  Catholic will counter with a very strong returning front 7 led by the Carrico brothers.  Vince and Tutt combined to average about 22 stops per game last season.  The biggest question for the Aces in this matchup will be their secondary vs the Eagle weapons.  If Apollo controls the line of scrimmage, they could put a big number on the board on Friday.

For the Aces offensively, they will start Sophomore QB Brady Atwell.  Atwell comes in with a ton of hype and most certainly has all the tools to be the Aces next big time signal caller.  Catholic will have to find a way to spread the production lost by All-State swiss army knife, Braden Mundy, amongst several guys.  For Apollo defensively, expect Morgan Eans to step into a bigger role and thrive at LB.  While Devon Parm will bring the heat off the edges.  Apollo has some inexperience in the secondary and it will be interesting to see how they match up with the inexperienced Aces skill spots.

You can listen to the stream of this game here: https://owensbororadio.com/player/?playerID=606

Prediction: Apollo 40 - Catholic 13

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Anymore info about these 2 teams? How many returning starters will each team have? O’cath usually gets better as the season progresses as oppose to Apollo who starts seasons strong but taper off towards the end of the season.

I'm thinking Catholic carries over the end of last season. They blasted their 2 scrimmage opponents (Caldwell and Breck Co) by over 100-0. I realize those teams may not be top tier, but Catholic looked really good. Atwell has a huge arm - not sure how mobile he is, as they didn't play the qb live in either scrimmage.

23 hours ago, Kyfootballking said:

Cross town rivals take the field Friday night. Historically, the match up has gone in Catholic's favor, but Apollo is on a current 3 year win streak in the series. Streak continue, or OC take the series back?

I'd say your version of history suffers greatly from recency bias.  I don't have access to the stats but I'd bet you that Apollo has a considerable lead in all time head to head wins.  

22 hours ago, Devils Fan said:

Anymore info about these 2 teams? How many returning starters will each team have? O’cath usually gets better as the season progresses as oppose to Apollo who starts seasons strong but taper off towards the end of the season.

I'd suspect that the Aces slow starts are more due to playing better competition before heading into their district schedule which usually isn't very tough.  

58 minutes ago, Irish Cat said:

I'd say your version of history suffers greatly from recency bias.  I don't have access to the stats but I'd bet you that Apollo has a considerable lead in all time head to head

MaxPreps only goes back to 2004 with team records, so I have no clue how they matched up before that, but before Apollo's current 3 game win streak against OC, Catholic owned a 10-6 lead dating back to then. 

I can't wait to be back on the sidelines with the Eagles! Administrative change has a buzz in the building that I haven't felt in a couple of years. The football team has a buzz about it as well. I think it may be a big season for the boys on Tamarack Road. 

• Like 2

I’ve had my phone in my pocket. Aces off to a fast start with two touchdowns in the first few minutes. Apollo answered with one of their own. Currently 14-6 OCath with 9:28 in the 2nd.

• Thanks 1