January 5, 200719 yr I find it's best not to speculate too much and put my trust in the more than capable Pittsburgh front office.
January 5, 200719 yr Lebeau is happy being the D-Coordinator in Pittsburgh and does not want to be the Head Coach anywhere. Unless someone has heard different he is not interviewiing with anyone. Russ Grimm and Kenny Whisenhut are both the guys in house the Steelers will look at. I don't think they would entertain the notion of going after Marvin Lewis. Anyway the short list according to guys in the know like Ed Bouchette and John Clayton and the local Stillers media is: Russ Grimm (O-line coach) Ken Whisenhut (O-corrdinator) Mike Singletary (49ers Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers Coach) Ron Rivera (Bears D- Coordinator) Rex Ryan (Ravens D-Coordinator) I think Whisenhut will end up in Atlanta. He is an Atlanta guy. The front runner is probably Russ Grimm. They will want a guy that played in the NFL, someone who is defensive minded, and someone who can be the face of the franchise. They want someone who is animated and dynamic and young. Personally- I would love to see Singletary get it. We would go from the guy with the jaw to the guy with the eyes. On a completely unrelated note did you see that sweater Cowher wore today? Egads! I think that was in his wardrobe back in 1992. Looked like it came from the Aresenio Hall Collection or something!
January 6, 200719 yr The Steelers will hire a coach who has aspirations of staying the course. If they go 5-11 in his first season, his job will not be in jeopardy. I tend to agree with GT (which I hate doing). Cowher is an AFC North guy, and if he returns, the "stepchild" will be ready to can Romeo and upgrade to Cowher for what I'd expect to be top dollar. May take 2 yrs. but if the Browns are gonna stay the cruddy course, Romeo will be gone. I'd guess after the 6th loss next season, Cowher's agent will be fielding inquiries. With that said, since Cowher didn't sign an extension, I glad he left, there would be far too much distraction as a lame duck honoring his last year of the contract. My guess if the coach comes from in house it will be Grimm. I don't think Lebeau will be it. Whisenhunt will likely leave for somewhere else IMO or stay off. coord.. And with the remark about stealing Marvin, do any of you have a clue where he came from? I'm sure some do, but others obviously do not. Pittsburgh hires guys with ties to the city, it's just what they do. The Rooney's will likely stick with that M.O. and it will be a Pittsburgh guy. It will not be Wandestedt (sp?). Again, not their style. Of course when you only have 2 coaches in 4 decades, what is your style? And one last thing, if I were a possible candidate, how alluring is the Steeler job? You get built in job security (at least you expect it) and you inherit an instant SB contender with a few modifications,,,we're not talking about the Raiders, or the Lions. Just my 2 cents. Lewis was born and raised in Pittsburgh, but I think his bad decisions he has made the past couple of years by bringing in trouble makers would turn Pittsburgh's front office against him. That is if he was available, which he is not. Someone to think about, who is a former steeler player and assistant coach is Tony Dungy. His season could be over this weekend. :sssh:
January 6, 200719 yr If Romeo has another bad year, I don't think there is any doubt he will be gone, and it makes sense for Cowher to come to Cleveland since he played there and everything, but I just wouldn't know how to take it as a Browns fan. Obviously Cowher is a good coach, but it would be tough to root for a guy you have hated for so long. But if is the answer to get the Browns back to where they need to be, I guess I will learn to like the guy, I guess.
January 6, 200719 yr Steelers have to wager if Marvin Lewis is worth 2 first round draft picks (ala. the Gruden coaching move in TB).
January 6, 200719 yr :confused: :confused: Have you watched ESPN lately? It was supposed to be a joke. :bunny:
January 6, 200719 yr Author I dont want to see Singletary get the job, I dont think he quite has what it takes to be a head coach. Give him a couple of years, and maybe. But I feel that O-Line coach Grimm might land the job.
January 7, 200719 yr I dont want to see Singletary get the job, I dont think he quite has what it takes to be a head coach. Give him a couple of years, and maybe. But I feel that O-Line coach Grimm might land the job. I agree, I think Singletary needs a few more years. Whisenhunt is one of the hottest candidates in the league, but is he ready to be the head guy? I think he is a great Off. cordinator. Now Grimm, he is from PA and played at Pitt, not to mention he is a blue collar type of guy. He would fit well.
January 7, 200719 yr Yes, and the "cheap route" has netted 1/8 of all Super Bowl titles. :thumb: I love it we finally agree! I'm glad you are a Steeler fan! I personally would love to see Ken Wisenhut! IMO the Rooney's aren't stupid they know what they are doing when it comes to football!
January 8, 200719 yr If the Steelers hire Marvin Lewis as their head coach, they will take the same backwards steps Green Bay took when they hired Mike Sherman. If I'm a Bengal fan and I don't want to see the Steelers win a playoff game, I say let them hire Marvin away.
January 8, 200719 yr With Petrino going to Atlanta, which many thought that Whisenhunt was the top candidate for the job, Steelers have their top two men still available. Best-case scenario Pittsburgh keeps both even though I don’t see it happening. :banana:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.