ESPN: Nick Saban takes Alabama job

Toothpick

It's a lot easier lifestyle in the college ranks. I've had friends in both and it's daylight and dark due to college's rules for how long they can be with players. Obviously they do stuff when the kids aren't there but it's a lot more family oriented in college. This is why Wies would have a big decision between Notre Dame and the Giants. 2 places he really loves.

Saban also got $40,000,000 at Bama compared to $11,000,000 at Miami. Somebody tell me that doesn't make a difference too you! I don't know that he went about it the right way but I'm also not jumping on the waggon everybody is on to beat him down for his decision.

We don't know. Sometimes you dream of being somewhere like the Pros only to find out that it isn't what you thought it would be and you are much happier in the college game which very well could have happened.

I listend to the press confrence with Heizenga(sp?) and I have to say he was 1st class in his interview. He said he wasn't made at Saban and will be cheering for him and Bama. He thought he was a great coach that would win there. They are now moving on and they will win. He didn't care how much money he had to fork out. He said Saban never told him that he was staying for sure. He said the whole thing was complicated and while he was a little suprised he respected his desicion. If he's good with it then so am I:)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Alabama, you got your man. Let me first say that I really respect Coach Saban as a coach. He is the best IMO. However, the Bama fans will soon find out that this rose has thorns. No matter how messy the Miami exit was he will continue to be a target for future jobs. Its a fact, deal with it. He is very tough with the media and alums ($$$). That aint his thing. At LSU we were desperate enough to put up with his short answers and abrupt demeanor to get a winner. I just wonder if the Paul Bryant Jr.s of the world will be able to handle Saban's paranoia. If they are, he will win you a title and leave you better than he found you. Good luck to Coach Saban, and stay the heck out of Louisiana.

It's a lot easier lifestyle in the college ranks. I've had friends in both and it's daylight and dark due to college's rules for how long they can be with players. Obviously they do stuff when the kids aren't there but it's a lot more family oriented in college. This is why Wies would have a big decision between Notre Dame and the Giants. 2 places he really loves.

Saban also got $40,000,000 at Bama compared to $11,000,000 at Miami. Somebody tell me that doesn't make a difference too you! I don't know that he went about it the right way but I'm also not jumping on the waggon everybody is on to beat him down for his decision.

We don't know. Sometimes you dream of being somewhere like the Pros only to find out that it isn't what you thought it would be and you are much happier in the college game which very well could have happened.

I listend to the press confrence with Heizenga(sp?) and I have to say he was 1st class in his interview. He said he wasn't made at Saban and will be cheering for him and Bama. He thought he was a great coach that would win there. They are now moving on and they will win. He didn't care how much money he had to fork out. He said Saban never told him that he was staying for sure. He said the whole thing was complicated and while he was a little suprised he respected his desicion. If he's good with it then so am I:)

:thumb: :thumb:

Congrats Alabama, Good luck to Coach Saban, and stay the heck out of Louisiana.

:lol: :lol: I can understand why you say that LSU but Saban will have to cross the state line when they play you at your place.:D Imo the Tigers have a VERY good coach in Miles at the helm now :thumb:.

Great for the Crimson Tide. I am curious to see if Saban gets the same treatment if he goes 6-6 after a succsesful year. I think this is good for Alabama but I think Shula was a good Football Coach.

The Tides gonna Roll,

Yoter

I agree Yoter, I hope that Saban works out in Tuscaloosa and brings them back to where they want to be and are accustomed to being. I also agree with you on Shula beinbg a good football coach.

I applied for a great job at a great company once. I couldn't believe when they hired me. I lasted a week. It didn't work out, I hated it, I wanted out, I wanted to change, It wasn't a good fit. I had to put my family first even though it hurt the people who trusted me when I said yes. My family comes first. Ever happen to you? Did you ever make a decision that helps your family? Let people like yourselves "Bash" Coach Saban.

If one person has never made a tough decision in a job change...well let me see you. He told Wayne "if you want me to stay...I'll stay". CLASS...Wayne said "Coach go with your heart" MORE CLASS... Coach had to be silent until the season was over. This stuff will end and we will move on. Coach Shula is a good coach, but we were moving backwards..(see UK Coach Brooks) Press conference in 30. Oscar Meyer turned the Gators around in two years. It was his third job in Five years.

I applied for a great job at a great company once. I couldn't believe when they hired me. I lasted a week. It didn't work out, I hated it, I wanted out, I wanted to change, It wasn't a good fit. I had to put my family first even though it hurt the people who trusted me when I said yes. My family comes first. Ever happen to you? Did you ever make a decision that helps your family? Let people like yourselves "Bash" Coach Saban.

If one person has never made a tough decision in a job change...well let me see you. He told Wayne "if you want me to stay...I'll stay". CLASS...Wayne said "Coach go with your heart" MORE CLASS... Coach had to be silent until the season was over. This stuff will end and we will move on. Coach Shula is a good coach, but we were moving backwards..(see UK Coach Brooks) Press conference in 30. Oscar Meyer turned the Gators around in two years. It was his third job in Five years.

Let me say again that I like Coach Saban. I will always respect him for the job he did for us. But... what you are posting isn't exactly the inside story i got from a pretty good source. When Coach met with his boss at Miami he would have been willing to stay and finish things out at Miami. When he pointed out the length of contract issue what was expected was for Wayne to say that we love you Nick and lets redo your deal here for a few more years. What was said was "do what ya gotta do" which is sort of like "go with your heart" . At this point Coach Saban figured he was free to look at Bama a little harder. Its a really good job and as I've posted before Coach Saban will win there. Coach Saban hasn't been a liar in the past and I've endured a few of these senarios. I truly think that when he said he was not going to be the Bama coach he meant it. Everything in the past led him to believe that the Dolphins would respond with an offer he couldn't refuse (like they did on that fateful day at the Baton Rouge airport in that private jet), they didn't. I think this partially shocked Coach and also gave him the freedom (in his mind) to move on. Good luck to Saban, but I really doubt he will last eight years.

FYI Larry, Oscar Meyer is a hot dog not a coach.:D

LSU...Its a hard job. I know. I've seen grown men cry when Bill Curry was hired at Bama and later I saw a different Bunch cry when he left the Cats. Coaches say things at the time but using the term "Coachspeaks" well there is a lot of things that go down. It was time Bama pulled the Power Ball out and throw out some Cash. Think about this...Since Coach Ray Perkins was hired its been a long struggle. Coach Gene Stallings lost his first three games and was 7-4 when they were the third pick to play the Cards. Southern Miss was his first game.