Next Shot at accumulating snow

I'm watching the week of January 17-22 for our next show at some snow accumulations. It is about two weeks away but I just wanted to show everyone what I'm seeing.  The GFS is showing cold air will be in place so that some light snow could break out before a low-pressure system forms over the Gulf of Mexico. The cold air will depend as the low moves out of the Gulf.  As of this time, the low will move across Georgia and Florida before it moves out over the Atlantic Ocean. It will pick up more moisture from the Atlantic and throw it back towards Kentucky.  If the GFS data holds the track will be very important. While I hesitate to mention any possible accumulations this far out but when you look at the snowfall accumulation map you will see some orange colors in Virginia and the Carolinas. The orange color represents 30+ inches in snow accumulations! If it takes a more northerly track then some of that heavy snow will move back towards Kentucky. Of course, if it stays over land longer it may not pick up as much Atlantic moisture so will just have to wait and see. I'll post an update about  mid-week next week.

floop-gfs-2022010812_sfct.conus.thumb.gif.73be764c5409ef185480140445a9794f.gif

floop-gfs-2022010812.prateptype_cat.conus.thumb.gif.d925b1cd3a8da4879c8ee0fd6b601c35.gif

floop-gfs-2022010812.snku_024h.conus.thumb.gif.01b1f84efb1bbf07cf8237b76254cb75.gif

31 minutes ago, theguru said:

Did you just say 30+ inches!?

Yes, that is what the GFS is showing right now. 

snku_acc.us_state_nc_va.thumb.png.14045a54f36cb9077711009367a513f5.png

9 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

I would just like one good shot at snow for NKY, 6-8 inch range.  After that, I'm ready for spring. 

I hear you. Is that really too much to ask?

As far as 30 inches of snow, I’ve been there and done that back in 1996 or 97 when I was living in Philly. I have zero interest in seeing that again.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

I hear you. Is that really too much to ask?

As far as 30 inches of snow, I’ve been there and done that back in 1996 or 97 when I was living in Philly. I have zero interest in seeing that again.

Just give it a week or so and you both may get what you wish more than once before winter ends.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

I would just like one good shot at snow for NKY, 6-8 inch range.  After that, I'm ready for spring. 

I prefer 7-9 inch range but exactly on spring!

2 hours ago, theguru said:

You can't bate me into more "that's what she said" jokes.  But I think anything over 4-5 inches is enough.  Also anything over that is a lot of work clearing the driveway. 

19 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

5 hours ago, theguru said:

3 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

You can't bate me into more "that's what she said" jokes.  But I think anything over 4-5 inches is enough.  Also anything over that is a lot of work clearing the driveway. 

You guys are sadistic!   NOOOOOOO!!!

This last snow was about 8 inches for much of central and east Kentucky. So we have had our 8 inches for the winter season. That will do. We will gladly send anymore accumulations to the northern sections of the state to answer your wishes. 😁

On 1/10/2022 at 11:36 AM, The Professor said:

This last snow was about 8 inches for much of central and east Kentucky. So we have had our 8 inches for the winter season. That will do. We will gladly send anymore accumulations to the northern sections of the state to answer your wishes. 😁

On 1/9/2022 at 12:05 PM, theguru said:

And it doesn't look like it will be the last 8-inch accumulation for most of Kentucky.

nWo,  why do these big snows keep shying away from NKY and the Ohio Rivery Valley?  Seems like that's been the trend for weather systems since the Tornadoes at the beginning of December, which isn't usually the case.  

The jet stream has been in a pattern that takes the systems to the south enough for NKY to miss the heavy snows. It might happen again this weekend. Even though NKY will have a better shot this weekend if the modeling data holds. The models usually will have a more northern tilt to them than they do at this time so that could mean you'll see some possible accumulations of more than an inch. The NAM is showing that northern tilt for this weekend but it is the very end of the NAM run. Should get a better read on that by this time tomorrow.

• Thanks 1