Raceland 48 Bishop Brossart 7

Mustangs fall hard 48-7 to a superior Raceland Rams team.

Despite trailing 19-0 in the second period Jacob Leicht put together a 64 yard drive, finding Jed Martin open on a 7 yard pass play making it 19-7 when "Dewey" Schwartz finished off the PAT, and then thing got interesting.  The Mustangs caught the Rams napping as we rushed the football and recovered an on-sides kick.  Leicht again marched the Mustangs to the Rams 24 yard line, where we were forced to turn it over on downs.  

A touchdown with just 43 seconds remaining in the half, threatened to put it out of reach at 27-7, but again with just under 21 seconds we again threatened to narrow the margin, but a sack of our quarterback ended the half, and the Mustangs hopes for a Final Four appearance faded.

Raceland scored three more touchdowns in the second half, sending the game to a running clock and sending the Brossart Mustangs to hoops season with a 12-1 record.    

Raceland quarterback Logan Lundy is the real deal, using a great mix of run and pass, and when he passes he does so with accuracy.  We wish the Rams well as they represent our region next week in the Final Four.   

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Mustang said:

Mustangs fall hard 48-7 to a superior Raceland Rams team.

Despite trailing 19-0 in the second period Jacob Leicht put together a 64 yard drive, finding Jed Martin open on a 7 yard pass play making it 19-7 when "Dewey" Schwartz finished off the PAT, and then thing got interesting.  The Mustangs caught the Rams napping as we rushed the football and recovered an on-sides kick.  Leicht again marched the Mustangs to the Rams 24 yard line, where we were forced to turn it over on downs.  

A touchdown with just 43 seconds remaining in the half, threatened to put it out of reach at 27-7, but again with just under 21 seconds we again threatened to narrow the margin, but a sack of our quarterback ended the half, and the Mustangs hopes for a Final Four appearance faded.

Raceland scored three more touchdowns in the second half, sending the game to a running clock and sending the Brossart Mustangs to hoops season with a 12-1 record.    

Raceland quarterback Logan Lundy is the real deal, using a great mix of run and pass, and when he passes he does so with accuracy.  We wish the Rams well as they represent our region next week in the Final Four.   

Classy as always old friend! Thank you for all you do for the Brossart community!!

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Great year for Brossart. Coach Wiggins has done a fantastic job building this program. Next step is beefing up the schedule to get better prepared for these games. 

Next step in small class A football is getting and keeping the number of players in your program to remain competitive. The schedule will take care of itself.

2 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Next step in small class A football is getting and keeping the number of players in your program to remain competitive. The schedule will take care of itself.

I think Brossart is beyond the roster concern now. They had about 40 players on this year's roster. Scheduling should be the next step forward.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I think Brossart is beyond the roster concern now. They had about 40 players on this year's roster. Scheduling should be the next step forward.

That 40 includes freshmen. Basically you would have them not play Dayton, Bellevue, or Ludlow and add NCC right? Maybe Sayre? Campbell? I see that as counter productive.

5 minutes ago, 9068 said:

That 40 includes freshmen. Basically you would have them not play Dayton, Bellevue, or Ludlow and add NCC right? Maybe Sayre? Campbell? I see that as counter productive.

Depends on your goals for the program. With no schedule upgrade, this is the ceiling for success for Brossart. If Brossart wants to go further in the playoffs, they need to challenge themselves more against better competition.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Depends on your goals for the program. With no schedule upgrade, this is the ceiling for success for Brossart. If Brossart wants to go further in the playoffs, they need to challenge themselves more against better competition.

The point missed here is that going undefeated in regular season and district play was pretty much a complete surprise to us this year.  We were actually expected to take a step back.  Were we .500 would we be having this conversation???

At this point we probably realize that we are ready to take a step forward schedule-wise, but we also lose the nucleus of this team - eleven productive seniors.  

Is it our fault that perhaps Newport (2A), Lloyd (2A), Holy Cross (2A) and our district competition might have been "down" this year???  If those three teams rebound going forward, with Pendleton County (3A) having the potential to also do so, does our schedule look that shabby???  Despite having big time facilities and a successful 2021 program, we are still a small 1A school (305 9-12 Co-ed), that also has very popular soccer and cross-country programs???

We played Sayre in 2020 and scrimmaged them in 2021.  I too think they would make a nice addition to our schedule, but having just won our first district championship and having an incredible record this year, we remember all too well our days in 2A when we were ill-prepared to be there, and what that nearly did to our program.  Its more fun to win.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, 9068 said:

Campbell- are you kidding.  I don't think Brossart will be scheduling a 6A school. Let's be realistic here.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, BiggestFan said:

Campbell- are you kidding.  I don't think Brossart will be scheduling a 6A school. Let's be realistic here.

Notice I said that would be counterproductive. I can guarantee that many folks out there are asking that question though because Brossart competes with them in every other sport. Personally I think their schedule is great. Football is a different animal.

41 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Notice I said that would be counterproductive. I can guarantee that many folks out there are asking that question though because Brossart competes with them in every other sport. Personally I think their schedule is great. Football is a different animal.

Noticed and agree. I was speaking to those exact people you are speaking of.  Many people don't understand scheduling either.  Just because you have a competitive team you can't just change a schedule for that year.

As  @Mustang has said- none expected this season.  It was fun.

• Like 1

Since I am the one who brought up scheduling, I will add a couple thoughts.

Yes, @Mustang makes a good point that the 2A teams on Brossart's schedule were all down this year. That hurt and Brossart can't control that. In fact, many of Brossart's 1A opponents were down a little IMO also. To Coach Wiggins' credit he did add 2A Lloyd to this year's schedule which was a good add. Unfortunately, Lloyd struggled this year. 

Here is where I think Brossart can take the next step. Look to replace 1A teams out of district with 2A teams, maybe even a 3A team. Pendleton County has been a good fit. I think it would be worthwhile to add Walton-Verona. Yes, Brossart would very likely be a big underdog but that game would test the team, show weaknesses and give the team a flavor of what to expect against a late round 1A playoff team. Carroll County could be good. You could perhaps add a Fleming County or Henry County, 3A schools that you might not beat but who you could compete with and learn about your team from. Pick two of those 2A or 3A teams you can compete with and replace Bellevue and Dayton. You might even go up and get a 4A school you doubt you can beat, but you can test your team and if you pull an upset, you pick up good RPI points. Those are the options I would look at next in building the program.

• Like 3

Back to the game..  I did want to comment on the Raceland team, specifically the QB.  Not sure if he plans to play in college but the kid is talented.  The sideline pass he threw was as good as any you will see on Saturdays.  Just a really good player.

Secondly, I was impressed by the team sportsmanship they displayed.  I first noticed it when I watched their previous game against Paintsville.  They hit and tackle very hard but are usually helping the opponent up, giving a tap on the head and going back to the huddle.  Great sportsmanship that reflects not only on the young men but on their coaches.  They have been taught to play the game the right way and it was noticed.  I'm pulling for the Raceland Rams.  Congrats.

• Like 1