BluegrassPreps.com 11th Region Boys Basketball Preview

11th Region Preview

With new coaches, transfers, reclassified players, and hopefully a 30 game schedule, it should be a fun ride in one of the best regions in the state.  Some traditional powers in the region find their way to the top of the pre-season rankings. Madison Central enters the year as the defending champs, and it just makes sense to slot them in the #1 spot.  An argument could easily be made for Dunbar, Frederick Douglass, or Lexington Catholic. The next group of 10-12 teams could be drawn out of a hat, and placed in virtually any order. It would not surprise me if any team in the pre-season top 10 cut down the nets in Richmond at the end of the year.  I look for Madison Southern, Bryan Station, and Western Hills to really surprise some teams this season.  As always, wins will be rewarded the most in the weekly rankings; strength of schedule will also play a factor in differentiating between similar teams.  I am thankful and excited to take this ride with you.  I will make mistakes and there’s a 100% chance I will rank your team too high or too low at some point. Either way, I hope you keep coming back each week! Is it November 29th yet?

Best 11th Region Home Games in Week 1

Monday: Williamstown at Model

Tuesday: Frederick Douglass at Henry Clay

Hon. Mention: West Jess. at Great Crossing

Pulaski Co. at Madison Central

Wednesday: Lexington Catholic at Franklin Co.

Thursday: LCA at Western Hills

Friday: Bryan Station at Douglass

HM: Mad. Central at Lafayette, Henry Clay at Western Hills

Saturday:  Covington Catholic at Dunbar

BGO Classic at LCA (Sayre, Scott Co., Madison Southern, LCA), Legacy Nissan Classic at North Laurel (Lexington, Catholic, Lafayette), Ted Cook Classic at S. Laurel (Model), Domino’s Tip-off Classic at Campbellsville (Frankfort), Tip-off Classic at Harrison Co. (Great Crossing)

Preseason Rankings

1. Madison Central

2. Dunbar

3. Frederick Douglass

4. Lexington Catholic

5. Madison Southern

6. Henry Clay

7. Scott County

8. Bryan Station

9. Western Hills

10. Great Crossing

11. Lexington Christian Academy

12. Lafayette

13. Sayre

14. Tates Creek

15. Franklin County

16. Frankfort

17. Model

18. Berea

19. Frankfort Christian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 11/15/2021 at 9:43 PM, KlayThompson said:

11th Region Preview

With new coaches, transfers, reclassified players, and hopefully a 30 game schedule, it should be a fun ride in one of the best regions in the state.  Some traditional powers in the region find their way to the top of the pre-season rankings. Madison Central enters the year as the defending champs, and it just makes sense to slot them in the #1 spot.  An argument could easily be made for Dunbar, Frederick Douglass, or Lexington Catholic. The next group of 10-12 teams could be drawn out of a hat, and placed in virtually any order. It would not surprise me if any team in the pre-season top 10 cut down the nets in Richmond at the end of the year.  I look for Madison Southern, Bryan Station, and Western Hills to really surprise some teams this season.  As always, wins will be rewarded the most in the weekly rankings; strength of schedule will also play a factor in differentiating between similar teams.  I am thankful and excited to take this ride with you.  I will make mistakes and there’s a 100% chance I will rank your team too high or too low at some point. Either way, I hope you keep coming back each week! Is it November 29th yet?

Best 11th Region Home Games in Week 1

Monday: Williamstown at Model

Tuesday: Frederick Douglass at Henry Clay

Hon. Mention: West Jess. at Great Crossing

Pulaski Co. at Madison Central

Wednesday: Lexington Catholic at Franklin Co.

Thursday: LCA at Western Hills

Friday: Bryan Station at Douglass

HM: Mad. Central at Lafayette, Henry Clay at Western Hills

Saturday:  Covington Catholic at Dunbar

BGO Classic at LCA (Sayre, Scott Co., Madison Southern, LCA), Legacy Nissan Classic at North Laurel (Lexington, Catholic, Lafayette), Ted Cook Classic at S. Laurel (Model), Domino’s Tip-off Classic at Campbellsville (Frankfort), Tip-off Classic at Harrison Co. (Great Crossing)

Preseason Rankings

1. Madison Central

2. Dunbar

3. Frederick Douglass

4. Lexington Catholic

5. Madison Southern

6. Henry Clay

7. Scott County

8. Bryan Station

9. Western Hills

10. Great Crossing

11. Lexington Christian Academy

12. Lafayette

13. Sayre

14. Tates Creek

15. Franklin County

16. Frankfort

17. Model

18. Berea

19. Frankfort Christian

Eligibility of transfers will make a big difference in this region.

I’m looking forward to seeing how Great Crossing’s Malachi Morino does this year. I have been told by a friend who lives in Georgetown that the 6’9 freshman will be better than his brother, who played at Scott County before the new Great Crossing school opened and is now playing for EKU. 

2 hours ago, The Professor said:

I’m looking forward to seeing how Great Crossing’s Malachi Morino does this year. I have been told by a friend who lives in Georgetown that the 6’9 freshman will be better than his brother, who played at Scott County before the new Great Crossing school opened and is now playing for EKU. 

That’s a tall task. His brother was dominating the 11th region as a freshman. This kid is a project, but could be good. 

8 hours ago, KlayThompson said:

I know of 1 team waiting on an appeal; a player that could be top 5 in the region.  Which other schools will be impacted by transfer eligibility?

That team would be the major favorite if he was eligible.   They’ll still be a favorite without him , but not near as much. 

• Like 1
On 11/23/2021 at 3:28 PM, InsideTrap said:

MC very thin this year, injuries and a kid waiting on eligibility. Should be really good at end of year.

Who are they waiting on and who is hurt?

15 minutes ago, Kanaka Kahakai said:

Todd and Harrison are transferred from what school? Thx.

Todd from Rowan County. He’s the son of EKU’s new Women’s coach, Greg Todd. 

Harrison from Montgomery County. 

Todd has been cleared to play. Harrison has not. Word I get is that Harrison was ruled ineligible, Madison Central appealed and they lost the appeal. Someone with legal experience would have to explain the next steps. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Kanaka Kahakai said:

Todd and Harrison are transferred from what school? Thx.

Todd from Rowan County. He’s the son of EKU’s new Women’s coach, Greg Todd. 

Harrison from Montgomery County. 

Todd has been cleared to play. Harrison has not. Word I get is that Harrison was ruled ineligible, Madison Central appealed and they lost the appeal. Someone with legal experience would have to explain the next steps.