Elder (OH) 28 Covington Catholic 6

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

No question because I was not overwhelmed by Elder.  

I agree. I didn’t think Elder was anything special. They could methodically move the ball but I thought our defense did ok. How many 4th and 1 were there? We just couldn’t stop them on the 4th down.   Them 2 big screen plays killed us where they ran for 99 yards and the other long play were he got hit out of bounds at the 4 yard line. That was really frustrating. There QB was not a deep threat but them damm screen plays killed us. CCH secondary is the weak point on defense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluecolonels95 said:

I agree. I didn’t think Elder was anything special. They could methodically move the ball but I thought our defense did ok. How many 4th and 1 were there? We just couldn’t stop them on the 4th down.   Them 2 big screen plays killed us where they ran for 99 yards and the other long play were he got hit out of bounds at the 4 yard line. That was really frustrating. There QB was not a deep threat but them damm screen plays killed. CCH secondary is the week point on defense. 

We agree on a lot.  

The Colonels should be a threat in 5A. 

Elder
Total Offense: 287 yards
Passing: 236 yards
Rushing: 51 yards
1st Downs: 13
3rd Down Conv: 2-7
4th Down Conv: 4-5
Turnovers: 0
Possession Time: 15:14

Covington Catholic
Total Offense: 76 yards
Passing: 63 yards
Rushing: 13 yards
1st Downs: 3
3rd Down Conv: 1-5
4th Down Conv: 0-0
Turnovers: 2
Possession Time: 8:46

I think Elder's final game stats are conflicting with the halftime stats I saw? ...unless they only had 9 yards passing in the second half?

Elder
Total Offense: 362 yards
Passing: 19-24 for 236 yards
Rushing: 24 att for 117 yards
1st Downs: 16
3rd Down Conv: 3-12
4th Down Conv: 4-7
Turnovers: 1
Possession Time: 27:27

Covington Catholic
Total Offense: 175 yards
Passing: 9-19 for 134 yards
Rushing: 19 att for 41 yards
1st Downs: 8
3rd Down Conv: 4-9
4th Down Conv: 0-2
Turnovers: 3
Possession Time: 20:33

Holtz has the arm strength. His accuracy needs some work. Cov Cath's offense the past 6 seasons has benefitted greatly from quarterbacks who could consistently drop 40 yard dimes. Adam is quite honestly more athletic than either AJ Mayer or Caleb Jacob were, in my opinion (and that's not meant to disparage either of those two in the least), but he isn't there on the throwing accuracy like they were. That's something Coach Eviston is going to be adjusting to.

Cov Cath may have had some obvious mistakes and missed opportunities tonight, and Elder clearly had the best player on the field tonight, but I'll say this, Cov Cath's halftime adjustments made a very noticeable difference in the game, regardless of the final score. I've never personally seen a coaching staff that consistently makes halftime adjustments that effectively change the course of football games in their favor as well as Coach Eviston's.

Tough to make sweeping generalizations after the 1st game. Neither team will be the team they will be in 8 weeks. CovCath had opportunities, but didn't capitalize. Elder had two touchdowns on 4th and goal that CovCath is one tackle away from getting the ball back. The safety took a bad angle on the long Ramsey touchdown run. Those are things that can be/should be cleaned up. Elder controlling the line of scrimmage most of the game is an area of concern, but Elder isn't the 4th ranked team in Cincinnati for nothing.  

• Like 1