Beer Vending Saga at GABP

So an update for you guys that are bored this Thursday morning. 

They are not bringing back the Vending department, nor our Vending Manager.  Instead, its being absorbed into Concessions.  There wasn't very much direction at all but turns out they will only have 10 Vendors each game, if they can get 10 Vendors to work.  I say it like that because it is going to be very tough to make the time lucrative enough to be worth it because of changes they've made....

The won't allow beer vendors in the seats.  So our job now is to hang out on the concourse and just basically try to help keep lines from getting long.  So you will still have to get up to go get a beer and if you're already up, I don't know why you're stopping at me instead of just going to whatever stand, especially when we'll only be carrying 25oz Bud Lights and 1-2 flavors of Anheuser-Bush seltzer, water and peanuts.  Personally I think its going to be pointless and a big waste of my time there.

I said I'd work on Saturday because I'll at least give it a fair shot but I'm very disappointed that this is what beer vending at GABP has turned into.  I think I'll draft my email and just hit send when I get home about not working future games unless we are in the seats (sounds like HR is having a really hard time getting guys to agree to come work under these procedures).  I understand there would be changes but not allowing me in the seats, there is not real point in having us unless its Opening Day or a Concert.  Maybe when the Cubs are there but other than that, dumb. I'm thinking I'll may 65-70% less per game.  

I'm told Phil Castellini doesn't like having vendors in the seats, but who knows what's true.  Just bummed and can only hope it changes in the future.  

15 minutes ago, theguru said:

I hear you but I assume beer vendors work off of tips and it is a matter of convivence for fans so I am not sure the usual suspect makes sense to me.

I'm thinking commission (and tips). MJ can probably fill us in on that.

• Thanks 1

You guys are correct.  I make 10% commission on alcohol sales and 13% commission on anything else. Plus tips as you guys mentioned.

Beer vendors are often considered the necessary evil in the industry and in places outside of Cincinnati, the caliber of individual that works as a beer vendor can be quite a bit different.  Assuming that its true that Phil Castellini isn't a fan of beer vendors, I assume he finds us as a nuisance that just gets in the way of the fans, and/or loud and annoying, instead of as a valuable asset to the Game Day experience, that provides a very convenient and efficient service to the fans.

Our vending department dwindled down quite a bit during the rough years, so I guess they figured, why not just get rid of it, which I hate but understand.  Allowing us to work but not go into the seats, just feels like a big waste of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My only hope is that as fans begin coming back to the stadium and there are a couple of decent crowds, they get loud about how its annoying that there aren't vendors anymore.  But who knows if people would get vocal about it.

Oh well, I was going to be cutting back at GABP whenever it came back anyway.  Guess they are making that decision for me instead of it being on my terms.

10 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

So an update for you guys that are bored this Thursday morning. 

They are not bringing back the Vending department, nor our Vending Manager.  Instead, its being absorbed into Concessions.  There wasn't very much direction at all but turns out they will only have 10 Vendors each game, if they can get 10 Vendors to work.  I say it like that because it is going to be very tough to make the time lucrative enough to be worth it because of changes they've made....

The won't allow beer vendors in the seats.  So our job now is to hang out on the concourse and just basically try to help keep lines from getting long.  So you will still have to get up to go get a beer and if you're already up, I don't know why you're stopping at me instead of just going to whatever stand, especially when we'll only be carrying 25oz Bud Lights and 1-2 flavors of Anheuser-Bush seltzer, water and peanuts.  Personally I think its going to be pointless and a big waste of my time there.

I said I'd work on Saturday because I'll at least give it a fair shot but I'm very disappointed that this is what beer vending at GABP has turned into.  I think I'll draft my email and just hit send when I get home about not working future games unless we are in the seats (sounds like HR is having a really hard time getting guys to agree to come work under these procedures).  I understand there would be changes but not allowing me in the seats, there is not real point in having us unless its Opening Day or a Concert.  Maybe when the Cubs are there but other than that, dumb. I'm thinking I'll may 65-70% less per game.  

I'm told Phil Castellini doesn't like having vendors in the seats, but who knows what's true.  Just bummed and can only hope it changes in the future.  

How much is a beer at GABP?

If I was in charge I would do what ever gives me the best chance of selling as many beers as I can, especially at that price!

• Like 1

I tell ya, and this is probably not going to come across well, but I'd rather pass a beer down the row to someone as opposed to getting up out of my seat a million times to allow someone thru who just went to beer stand.  Some folks consume mass quantities and GABP will only sell so many at once.....that's a lot of getting up to let 'em thru!

Heck, you'll spend more time standing in beer lines than watching the game live (and I'm basing that on my old habits).  I doubt there will be many roving concourse vendors, or any at all, if this continues.  

11 hours ago, punttheball said:

How much is a beer at GABP?

If I was in charge I would do what ever gives me the best chance of selling as many beers as I can, especially at that price!

I don't know what they raised the prices too, I haven't been allowed to work since September 2019.

4 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

I tell ya, and this is probably not going to come across well, but I'd rather pass a beer down the row to someone as opposed to getting up out of my seat a million times to allow someone thru who just went to beer stand.  Some folks consume mass quantities and GABP will only sell so many at once.....that's a lot of getting up to let 'em thru!

Heck, you'll spend more time standing in beer lines than watching the game live (and I'm basing that on my old habits).  I doubt there will be many roving concourse vendors, or any at all, if this continues.  

They are having a really hard time just finding ten to work because guys know that it isn't going to be worth their time.  They were calling individuals last night at 6pm trying to find guys to come in and from the sounds of it, most are turning them down.  After this weekend, I bet you won't see any, unless someone wants to give it one last chance when the Cubs are in town (which is one of the only times they might actually make any money).

I'm going to give it 1 or 2 games to just try and keep my status with the company, it affects bonuses and stuff in the future, if there is a future.

Someone doesn't value the convenience and efficiency that beer vendors provide the customers.

• Like 2

Quick Update...

Beer sales for me on Saturday were actually pretty darn good.  With 35K in attendance, standing on the concourse only wasn't an issue at all, but that's also because there were only three of us.  Sunday was quite a bit slower but still worth my time, but that's in large part because there were only two of us.

I'm not going back down until this weekend against the Cubs, but I suspect it will be a solid weekend for me.  Although we'll probably have quite a few more guys working.  Trying to convince the GM to let us sell 2 beers per person like everywhere else in the stadium.