Mass Shooting in San Jose

Another mass shooting. This one at a rail and transit yard in San Jose California. The shooter is down. Details still coming out.

There have now been 230 mass shootings (4 or more victims) in the United States in 2021.

Not including this incident, there have been 14 mass murders (4 or more victims) in 2021.

25 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Another mass shooting. This one at a rail and transit yard in San Jose California. The shooter is down. Details still coming out.

There have now been 230 mass shootings (4 or more victims) in the United States in 2021.

Not including this incident, there have been 14 mass murders (4 or more victims) in 2021.

25 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

There were 12 mass shootings just this past weekend.... 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/24/us/us-mass-shootings-this-weekend/index.html

16 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

What is a possible fix? Or are we accepting this as a necessary evil that we can't fix?

Each case is an individual circumstance so we really don't know in this case yet what may or may not be a possible fix.

But to answer your question, for starters we need law and order in America and we need to reexamine how we deal with mental illness.  If we don't start with these two fixes then I don't see any hope of stopping/greatly slowing down violent crime. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theguru said:

Each case is an individual circumstance so we really don't know in this case yet what may or may not be a possible fix.

But to answer your question, for starters we need law and order in America and we need to reexamine how we deal with mental illness.  If we don't start with these two fixes then I don't see any hope of stopping/greatly slowing down violent crime. 

I agree there is a mental health crisis that this nation needs to address.

• Like 1

I also think we as a society are overusing "mass" in these situations. 

That is in no way meant to devalue the lives lost in these situations, although I understand it may sound that way. I have no idea what number would be appropriate for "mass," but in how many other situations would four be considered "mass?"

I think we can attack the gun violence problem without having to give it other titles. JMO.

9 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

What exactly does this mean?

Exactly what I said.

In many major cities the police in America are in a deep, defensive position and the void is filling up with nefarious forces. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

Exactly what I said.

In many major cities the police in America are in a deep, defensive position and the void is filling up with nefarious forces. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, how do we measure "law and order?" 

Just now, TheDeuce said:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, how do we measure "law and order?" 

Percentage of arrests and convictions for crimes committed.

But to just put it out there, quit vilifying the Police and demand they get back to pro-active policing everywhere in America.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I think we can attack the gun violence problem without having to give it other titles. JMO.

Speaking of how we title things, if this same suspect used his vehicle to run over and kill the 8 victims would you title it car violence? 

• Like 1