Odd Facts

CincySportsFan

Just did a Sporcle quiz, and came across some odd facts that I found interesting.  (I have not fact checked any of these.)

* The 1960's Sci-Fi TV show "Lost in Space" was set in 1997.

* Bananas have more regulations than AK-47's.

* All the ants in the world weigh the same as all of the people.  (If true, this is scary.)

* Mozart kept a fart diary.

* Queen Elizabeth I invented the gingerbread man.

* Polar bears cannot be seen using infrared-vision equipment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

* Lenin owned nine Rolls Royces

* Queen Cleopatra lived closer to the time of the moon landings than the building of the Great Pyramid.

* Fewer people in the world recognize the Christian cross than the McDonald's logo.

* As a result of the D-Day landings, the sand at Normandy beaches is comprised of 4% of tiny particles of metal

* Humans had been keeping sheep for 7,000 years before it occurred to anyone to use their wool.

* Guinness beer isn't black, it's actually a very dark red.

* The last English woman tried for witchcraft was convicted in 1944.

* The Florida Turnpike exit at Yeehaw Junction is the southern end of the longest stretch of limited-access highway without an exit in the United States (the next interchange to the north being 48.9 miles away at Kissimmee/St. Cloud) and the northern end of the second-longest such stretch (the next exit to the south being 40.5 miles away at Fort Pierce).

On 4/19/2021 at 2:22 PM, CincySportsFan said:

Just did a Sporcle quiz, and came across some odd facts that I found interesting.  (I have not fact checked any of these.)

* The 1960's Sci-Fi TV show "Lost in Space" was set in 1997.

* Bananas have more regulations than AK-47's.

* All the ants in the world weigh the same as all of the people.  (If true, this is scary.)

* Mozart kept a fart diary.

* Queen Elizabeth I invented the gingerbread man.

* Polar bears cannot be seen using infrared-vision equipment.

I always wonder how people come up with stats like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

I definitely believe that.

1 hour ago, nees1212 said:

The richest 50 people in the US have more wealth than the bottom 50% of people in the US (165 million people). 

Heard this one last night.

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

I definitely believe that.

And most of that bottom 50% will say taxes should not be raised on those 50 people. Wealth continues to funnel up and accumulate at the very top.

• Like 2

"Just do it.," the 1988 Nike ad slogan was inspired by the last words of a murderer before he was executed.

The first commercial using the line featured 80 year old Walt Stack, who ran 17 miles every morning in San Francisco, shirtless. The video, through the link below is hilarious.

businessinsider.com/nike-just-do-it-inspired-utah-killer-gary-gilmore

stack-nike.jpg