Bullitt East vs. McCracken County (Sweet 16® Round 1) Predictions/Updates

Bullitt East vs. McCracken County (Sweet 16® First Round)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Bullitt East or McCracken County?

• Bullitt East (15-8)
    • McCracken County (22-6)

McCracken County will make the 261-mile trip to Rupp Arena this season to square off with Bullitt East from the 6th Region.  In just eight years of existence, the Mustangs have captured the 1st Region title four times (2021, 2020, 2018, & 2014).  Meanwhile, the Chargers are playing in the season's final week for the first time since 2012, when standouts Derek Willis and Rusty Troutman were juniors.

The Mustangs are 2-2 vs. the field, sporting a pair of wins over University Heights (64-62 & 59-57) and losses to Bowling Green (77-58) and Ballard (72-59).  Burlin Brower's team has four players in double figures, led by senior Noah Dumas (15.7 ppg).  Junior Ian Hart (12.3), senior Ian McCune (10.7 ppg), and Brant Bower (10 ppg) round out the double-digit scorers.

Jason Couch's Bullitt East roster is spearheaded by Tucker Blanford, who averages a double-double of 17.4 ppg & 10.5  ppg.  The junior forward also shoots 55.4% from the field.  Senior Will Blanford averages 12.6 ppg, while fellow senior Collin Powell, after serving a stent as the United States Secretary Of State, now helps the Chargers with 11.5 ppg.

Who moves on to the Quarterfinals: Mustangs or Chargers?

1 hour ago, Randy Parker said:

I don't know if this is accurate, but it always seems like the 1st Region is good for at least one win in Rupp.  Give me McCracken by 4.

True, usually 1st region teams have problems with games being more physical and fouls called in 1st region are play on at the state level. I believe 1959 North Marshall is last State Champion from the 1st Region.

17 minutes ago, Joe Tracy said:

True, usually 1st region teams have problems with games being more physical and fouls called in 1st region are play on at the state level. I believe 1959 North Marshall is last State Champion from the 1st Region.

Joe's in the know on 1st Region hoops. 🧐

McCracken played Ballard tough for most of their game. Don't know much about Bullitt, but looking at records, RPI, etc.., I think the Mustangs have a decent shot here. McCracken's defense is strong! Give me the Mustangs by 8.

Coach Couch has the team playing their best ball of the year by far.  Their district win over Fern Creek & their regional win over DeSales aren't flukes.  The team replaced 3 starters from last year and their top 2 off the bench are sophomores playing varsity for the 1st time.  It simply took the boys time to gel together, get comfortable and settle into their roles.  Will the pressure of Rupp be too much for the Chargers, whereas a team like McCracken might have a few kids making their 2nd appearance?  I don't think it will.  Give me the Chargers by 5.

• mcpapa locked this topic