South Oldham at Simon Kenton Predictions/Updates

Well, that’s about what I was afraid might happen.  I know I’m harping on the same point....but the South team in games 5, 6 and now 7 - after two long Covid breaks - bears little resemblance to what we saw in games 1-4.  Just one stat to show this has come a little undone:  South had 57 threes in the first 5 games, 5 threes (by just two players) in game six, and tonight 4 threes (all by one player).  The way this team is designed to play, and the only way for it to be successful, is to shoot and make threes.  Defense is not its forte.  They have very few kids who can break a defender down and get in the paint.  They have very few kids who can score from the post.  Moving the ball around, players moving freely and maintaining good spacing, and then from that making perimeter shots....that’s how they win.   With these long breaks, they’ve gotten away from that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BBN_34 said:

This reffing crew seems to love blowing their whistles quite a bit. 

Although I definitely saw some questionable calls tonight, my biggest issue was that the three refs weren't on the same page.   These aren't necessarily bad officials; but it was difficult for the kids to get accustomed to what was being allowed and what wasn't.   

On one trip, a light touch by a defensive player - a very timid hand-check - got whistled as a foul.   On the next, a kid was knocked to the floor after getting a rebound - and was promptly called for traveling (no foul?).  That just makes it difficult for the teams to figure it out.

• Like 1