St. Xavier - 2021 Schedule

4 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I wouldn't go that far. Selah Brown, Malachi Lawrence, Alton Jefferson, and Phillip Peiffer would definitely have something to say about that. Hell, in NKY alone, I think Eric Jiminez, Rhys Brown, and Ben Dickhaus would all have something to say about that. Pendleton was good, for sure, but "best in the state" is a stretch.

Ryle has to come up with a new quarterback for '21, which sometimes has proven more difficult that fans might hope at Ryle. They also need to come up with a workhorse running back. Last year it was Mathias Cusick, who is graduating. The Raiders were very pass oriented (65% pass/35% run) this past season, and once you look past RB Cusick and QB Lyons, their next highest rusher only had 108 yards for the season. Also after graduation this spring, the Ryle offense will have to replace their top receiver Will Watkins, and then their #3 and #4 receivers Jackson McGinnis & Greyson Barber in addition to top rusher Mathias Cusick...that's 4 of the top 5 offensive yardage producers from this past season, and they accounted for 60% of the total team yards.

I could probably do to follow Ryle a little more closely, but looking at numbers, I'm not entirely confident that they'll be better on offense.

I think the Ryle offense has a chance to be better this season - they are losing a lot as mentioned above but the next man up may end up better than those graduating as they develop and the new QB is in place and had a varsity start (274 yards / 3TDs) to get that out of the way this season as freshman. The wide receivers will be athletic led by Gardner and Smith who both saw significant time this past season. Running back will be an area to watch but they have some athletic players to slot in there. I would look for this to continue to be a pass first offense next season.

The struggles for solid QB play at Ryle should be in a good spot for a few seasons as they are developing some solid players in the middle school program where they have won the 7th grade state middle school title back to seasons and 8th grade teams who went to regional finals. 

The schedule sounds really tough right out of the gate for the Raiders to break in their new turf but they will be led by a lot of underclassmen they should be fun to watch. Glad they scheduled St. X. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ukat1 said:

I think the Ryle offense has a chance to be better this season - they are losing a lot as mentioned above but the next man up may end up better than those graduating as they develop and the new QB is in place and had a varsity start (274 yards / 3TDs) to get that out of the way this season as freshman. The wide receivers will be athletic led by Gardner and Smith who both saw significant time this past season. Running back will be an area to watch but they have some athletic players to slot in there. I would look for this to continue to be a pass first offense next season.

The struggles for solid QB play at Ryle should be in a good spot for a few seasons as they are developing some solid players in the middle school program where they have won the 7th grade state middle school title back to seasons and 8th grade teams who went to regional finals. 

The schedule sounds really tough right out of the gate for the Raiders to break in their new turf but they will be led by a lot of underclassmen they should be fun to watch. Glad they scheduled St. X. 

Good info...thanks @ukat1!

• Like 1

This would be the type of schedule I would put together if I was in charge of scheduling at St. X. Tough, consistent non district teams, which can be tricky to find. One out of state game is fun too, just to get that experience of playing someone different and then having the opportunity to travel there the following year. Excited for this upcoming year, and to see how this team is able to respond to this tough schedule. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I wouldn't go that far. Selah Brown, Malachi Lawrence, Alton Jefferson, and Phillip Peiffer would definitely have something to say about that. Hell, in NKY alone, I think Eric Jiminez, Rhys Brown, and Ben Dickhaus would all have something to say about that. Pendleton was good, for sure, but "best in the state" is a stretch.

Ryle has to come up with a new quarterback for '21, which sometimes has proven more difficult that fans might hope at Ryle. They also need to come up with a workhorse running back. Last year it was Mathias Cusick, who is graduating. The Raiders were very pass oriented (65% pass/35% run) this past season, and once you look past RB Cusick and QB Lyons, their next highest rusher only had 108 yards for the season. Also after graduation this spring, the Ryle offense will have to replace their top receiver Will Watkins, and then their #3 and #4 receivers Jackson McGinnis & Greyson Barber in addition to top rusher Mathias Cusick...that's 4 of the top 5 offensive yardage producers from this past season, and they accounted for 60% of the total team yards.

I could probably do to follow Ryle a little more closely, but looking at numbers, I'm not entirely confident that they'll be better on offense.

Pendleton had 69 tackles, 8 sacks and 12 TFL all while being at least double teamed on every play. He was definitely the best in NKY and statistically toward the top of the list in the state. He freed up space for every player around him. He will be the hardest player to replace production wise.

St. X should be strong defensively since return most of defense but graduate the two cornerbacks so that is biggest concern. Offense returns Mekhi Smith and Michael Duddy but all but one starter on Oline graduated. QB should be either Chip Sivori or Adam Boone. The senior and Junior class went undefeated as freshman so time to see if they live up to the hype. This will be challenging schedule and I look forward to seeing how they do against it and hopefully won’t be fan restrictions by then so can go to all of the games.

• Like 3

They seem to have some skill players that are ready to have big seasons. Offensively, it will come down to the trenches; they had experience that will need to replaced. While they figure it out upfront they should be able to lean on their skill players such as Smith and Duddy who have a lot of varsity game experience. 

• Like 1

This is what is on calendar for JV & Frosh. I would think they will add few more games since have weeks open. Typically play Moeller (OH) and they aren't on schedule yet.

JV:

8/23 Central

8/30 at Male

9/20 Trinity

9/27 at Trinity

10/4 Manual

10/25 at John Hardin

Freshman:

8/26 Central

9/2 at Male

9/23 Trinity

9/30 at Trinity

10/7 Manual

10/21 PRP (Froshmore)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Just checked football calendar and August 6th says Intrasquad scrimmage. I thought they might get opponent for that date but apparently not.

If they wouldn't mind a nice drive in the country, Hoptown is open for that date!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Just checked football calendar and August 6th says Intrasquad scrimmage. I thought they might get opponent for that date but apparently not.

I thought may try to get a scrimmage for their JV players; similar to what they did a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I just saw this on Twitter and realized....man, only 3 home games??

E0eK2PnXoAIzE7M.jpg

Also, I  just checked calendar and August 6th has Gold squad vs Eastern. I remember two years ago did same thing and was close game. Just says scrimmage for Green squad so maybe just intrasquad scrimmage for them.