Frederick Douglass at Owensboro Predictions/Updates (5A Semifinals) ***Upset Alert***

Frederick Douglass at Owensboro  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, PhenomxX said:

I picked Owensboro because of just how hard it is to compete at Rash stadium. I'm not sure how many fans are being let in, but it's still a suffocating environment regardless of your talent. It's definitely going to take speed to beat this Freddie D squad, but Owensboro never has a problem with getting kids who can fly. I'm still riding with the Red Devils.

Rash was absolutely my favorite stadium to play in, it’s sad that it can’t be as packed as it normally is in the playoffs.  But man, I can’t over state how amazing it is to play at during a playoff game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilMayCare said:

Something to watch for:

Owensboro has been run on by some good backs this year. Harold Patterson, Bryson Parm, and Clint McKee (×2) had strong outings against them. 

I anticipate Darius Neal, who's as good or better than any of those guys, giving Owensboro fits this Friday running behind Burton and the rest of that very good offensive line. He's played his best in FD's biggest games, averaging 145 yards per contest against North Hardin, LCA, Scott County, and Southwestern. 

It's a pick your poison situation for Owensboro. Crowd the box to slow down Neal, and get burned by Crowdus and Key, or play it straight and risk getting gashed by the run game. 

I stand by what I said before. Owensboro has the horses to win, but I have concerns about their ability to get stops. For the Red Devils to win, I think this game has to resemble a Big12 style shootout.

Good points.  I will say this.  Owensboro usually limits the big play due to its speed so it makes these backs go all the way down field to score.  Owensboro has faced some very good running backs.  Case in point - rushing yards and TD's from very good and fast backs:

Q Jennings 10 carries for 62 yards 0 TD's.

Bryson Parm 23 for 137 0 TD's

Harold Patterson 32 for 150 and 0 TD's

McKee 33 for 168 and 1 TD

McKee 46 for 207 and 2 TD's 

It took an awful lot of carries for each of these backs and only 3 TD's between all of them.  Apollo has 2 D1 O-lineman (rated the 2nd and 3rd best O-linemen in state), DC and Graves had big athletic lines as well.  The low TD's is a testament to Owensboro's speed.  Gough is a 1st team all-state MLB as a sophomore and was out most of last year, but has returned to form in 2020.  HInes is a stellar lineman.   Linebackers are fast as well as secondary. Owensboro, as I have said, is a bend but don't break defense keeping you in front of them and they will put you in some 3rd and longs and force you to punt or go for it on 4th down.  I believe they stopped Graves on 4th down at least twice in each game.  

Will Neal get some yards?  Yes.  Owensboro has to stop the big play and force them into 3rd and long, or else it will be a long night.  Both teams will be good with adjustments so I look for a great game.

• Like 3

I think a key for Owensboro to win this game is to play strong defense inside the redzone.  Like Brown said, Owensboro does limit big plays with their speed, so I expect Douglass to gain a lot of yards between the 20's.  They will have some advantages when their offense is on the field.  Owensboro will need to tighten up and use the back of the end zone as their 12th man to keep Douglass out of the end zone.

Offensively, if I am Owensboro, I don't know how committed to the run I would be.  I would spread Douglass out and use a short passing game to replace the run game.  I see a lot of Avery and Carbon out of the backfield in the short passing game on early downs with some deep shots to their explosive WR's mixed in.  Let Wimsatt dictate the offense and you will have a lot of success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First of all I am for Owensboro and would love to see them win. I do really like the FD team as well and like a lot of their players. I just dont know how good they really are because of their schedule. I think top to bottom FD is just deeper and better. They have also played a lot tougher competition. It is at rash stadium and there is something to be said about that. There is also something to say about FD being a little up and down and possibly playing to level of their opponent. With that said i'll take FD.

RD-  42

OHS- 31

Prediction Time...

While I think it is hard to get a feel for just how good Frederick Douglass is this season, you can't deny their talent.  Owensboro's defense is going to have a very difficult task tomorrow night.  I think Douglass will come out and run the football with short passing mixed with timely deep shots.  When Douglass's offense is on the field, I do think they will have the overall advantage against the Devils.  Owensboro has been pushed around a little up front this season but to their credit, they have stood strong with their backs to the goal line all season long.  That will be a key in this game as well.

For Owensboro on offense, it will be about protecting Gavin Wimsatt and protecting the football.  Douglass has forced 21 turnovers in only 8 games and Owensboro hasn't exactly played mistake free this season.  IF they can keep it clean, Owensboro could easily win this game in a shootout.  Keep your eye on Tre Tinsley.  He had a monster game against Graves County and should be a major factor in this one.  I also expect to see Ethan Avery and Kenyatta Carbon featured in the passing game as well.  Clean football is the key for Owensboro.  

I think this game will look a lot different than last years defensive battle.  I would absolutely take the over in the Vegas line.  I really want to take Owensboro.  I think a lot of folks around the state seriously underrate the Devils due to their schedule.  They are extremely talented across the board.  If they can play clean football, I think they win this game.  That said, until they show that ability, I have to go with the trends and take Douglass to capitalize on a couple of Owensboro mistakes to get the win.

Douglass 42 - Owensboro 35

• theguru changed the title to Frederick Douglass at Owensboro Predictions/Updates (5A Semifinals) ***Upset Alert***
  • theguru locked this topic