Bluegrasspreps Class 2A Playoff Preview

ATLCat

District 1 Seeding

1. Mayfield Cardinals

2. Murray Tigers

3. Caldwell County Tigers

4. Ballard Memorial Bombers

District 1 Storylines

- The Murray/Caldwell County game looms large. Murray edged the Tigers 41-34 in OT and feel confident they can unseat Mayfield after an Overtime loss to the Cardinals. Expect plenty of offense as these two have been neck and neck the past two years.

- Mayfield has ruled their District with an iron fist, but either Caldwell County or Murray could potentially end that reign. The Cardinals youth has been evident but they continue to make winning plays. Both games against the collective Tiger squads resulted in 21-20 wins and the Cardinals have pulled out several tight wins this year since losing their season openers.

District 1 Prediction

In November tradition, this one may be "too close to call", but homefield advantage at War Memorial and the uncanny knack to make the small plays that matter gives the edge to Mayfield.

District 2 Seeding

1. Hancock County Hornets

2. Owensboro Catholic Aces

3. McLean County Cougars

4. Todd County Central Rebels

District 2 Storylines

- Most expected this District to be open for someone not named Owensboro Catholic to possibly upset the apple cart, but most expected McLean County to be the team after their shocking win in the 2019 playoffs. Hancock County took care of business and enters with the top seed and homefield advantage. Can the Hornets bring back the magic of the Travis Atwell season?

- Owensboro Catholic played the superior competition and know only a lone point separated them from the top seed. The Aces lost three of the last four tilts including that loss to Hancock County, but have to feel good that they have enough weapons to avoid an early exit like last season. Their path starts with a McLean County squad they cannot take for granted.

District 2 Prediction

Owensboro Catholic will be motivated, but there seems to be something special about this Hancock County squad. Expect both Western Kentucky 2nd Round tilts to be classics but Hancock County brings some new blood to the Regional Finals.

District 3 Seeding

1. Edmonson County Wildcats

2. Metcalfe County Hornets

3. Monroe County Falcons

4. Clinton County Bulldogs

District 3 Storylines

- An early season two point victory loomed large as Edmonson County defeated Metcalfe County by two points. The Wildcats entered the year with the edge in experience and that held true. They open against a Clinton County team they did not face in the regular season.

- Metcalfe County has emerged as the clear contender to challenge Edmonson County and they laid waste to Monroe County in their first meeting. Gabe Zurmehly has had a phenomenal season at his RB position and behind him the Hornets feel they have a shot to keep playing for multiple weeks.

District 3 Prediction

Metcalfe County has played well since their early season loss and have found a nice rhythm behind a two-headed rushing attack and efficient QB play. It won't be easy going on the road, but Metcalfe County returns to the Regional Finals for the first time since 2007.

District 4 Seeding

1. Lexington Christian Academy Eagles

2. Somerset Briarjumpers

3. Danville Admirals

4. Washington County Commaders

District 4 Storylines

- The District of Death lives. Three teams enter in the Top 5, but only one will be around for the Regional Finals. LCA proved to be the best team in the regular season by earning a hard fought win over both Somerset and Danville, as well as completing an extremely difficult non-District slate with their only set back against 5A's #1 team. The Eagles will be waiting for their challenger in Round 2 and hosting at their friendly confines.

- Somerset needed the rest that the cancellations of the final week and delay of the playoffs presented. Somerset was battered and bruised with injuries and needed to heal in a hurry. Danville is plenty capable of ending the Defending Champion's run early, but in the first meeting the Briarjumpers proved to be a bad match-up of strengths and weaknesses.

District 4 Prediction

We feel like we have seen this play out before? LCA has had a rough go of ending up on the wrong side of winning the huge game in the regular season only to fall short by a razor's edge in November. The Eagles will be in for another war, but this is the year LCA wins twice and makes their march to the Finals.

District 5 Seeding

1. Walton-Verona Bearcats

2. Carroll County Panthers

3. Gallatin County Wildcats

4. Shawnee Golden Eagles

District 5 Storylines

- Walton-Verona has owned this District and that trend is expected to continue. The question is whether this is a W-V team capable of making a deeper push? A late shocker against Louisville Holy Cross suggests they can make magic happen, but a late loss to North Laurel also suggests they have to bring their A-game every night.

- Gallatin County nor Carroll County appear to be positioned to win more than a game, but this one should be very competitive. Both defenses ruled the day in the first meeting. Expect more of the same.

District 5 Prediction

Walton-Verona's District domination continues.

District 6 Seeding

1. Beechwood Tigers

2. Newport Wildcats

3. Lloyd Memorial Juggernauts

District 6 Storyline

- Beechwood is the team to be reckoned with and a certified Championship contender. The Tigers get a BYE as a result of Covington Holy Cross opting out and will await a very strong clash between Newport and Lloyd Memorial. Both teams could have been major factors in several other Districts, but both are chasing Beechwood in a big way.

District 6 Prediction

Cameron Hergott is absolutely dominating the competition and the Tigers simply are a much better team with bigger goals than a District Title in 2020.

District 7 Seeding

1. Breathitt County Bobcats

2. Middlesboro Yellowjackets

3. Leslie County Eagles

4. Knott County Central Patriots

District 7 Storylines

- Breathitt County went unblemished in District play, but it is clear the field has caught up and the Bobcats are not the same dominant force as the 2019 squad. They should roll into the 2nd Round, but it could be a much more competitive game awaiting them.

- Middlesboro edged Leslie County in a super tight game and played Breathitt tough. Leslie County has the weapons to win this game, but they have not found that formula to suggest everything is clicking.

District 7 Prediction

Breathitt County but it will be tight. The Bobcats still have a lot of weapons on offense and neither Middlesboro or Leslie County has shown the firepower to outscore them.

District 8 Seeding

1. West Carter Comets

2. Shelby Valley Wildcats

3. Martin County Cardinals

4. Prestonsburg Blackcats

District 8 Storylines

- West Carter's storyline in previous years would be whether they had a chance to win a few games, in 2020 it is clear their storyline is about just how deep and magical of a run they can put together. The Comets are loaded and will be able to host every game until the Finals.

- Shelby Valley is building for the future but they know their path leads to West Carter. The Comets outclassed them in the early season meeting and the Wildcats have a lot of gap to close.

District 8 Prediction

West Carter checks the box after a better effort from Shelby Valley. The Comets are more than equipped to reach the Semi-Finals.

• Like 2

Good article. If something happens and Mayfield plays at home all through the playoffs, I give them a chance to get to Kroger field. I also like their chances against West Carter if both teams make it that far. I'm still saying unless covid or some other circumstance happens, your State Champion will be LCA, Somerset or Beechwood. 

1 hour ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Good article. If something happens and Mayfield plays at home all through the playoffs, I give them a chance to get to Kroger field. I also like their chances against West Carter if both teams make it that far. I'm still saying unless covid or some other circumstance happens, your State Champion will be LCA, Somerset or Beechwood. 

Mayfield and West Carter should both be hoping to see each other instead of Beechwood or Somerset IMO.

As long as Beechwood doesn’t see LCA or Somerset before or in the semifinals, then I like the Tigers odd to make it to the state championship game more than I did last year. I don’t see any team beating them other than LCA/Somerset/Mayfield (on an upset) 

3 hours ago, ImJustHere said:

As long as Beechwood doesn’t see LCA or Somerset before or in the semifinals, then I like the Tigers odd to make it to the state championship game more than I did last year. I don’t see any team beating them other than LCA/Somerset/Mayfield (on an upset) 

If I were to bet, Beechwood will be the 2A state champion. I like Somerset in the District 4 rematch and I just think Beechwood is better than Somerset. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pacman69 said:

If I were to bet, Beechwood will be the 2A state champion. I like Somerset in the District 4 rematch and I just think Beechwood is better than Somerset. 

I hope you’re right. I just don’t like saying we are better until we beat them. I do think among the top 3 nobody is head and shoulders over the other. It’ll come down to those 3, (LCA, Somerset, Beechwood) and if it doesn’t I’ll be surprised. 

17 minutes ago, ImJustHere said:

I hope you’re right. I just don’t like saying we are better until we beat them. I do think among the top 3 nobody is head and shoulders over the other. It’ll come down to those 3, (LCA, Somerset, Beechwood) and if it doesn’t I’ll be surprised. 

Agreed.

Washington Co has to feel like they could never win a district championship they were in the same district with Desales and Cal and they finally move on to 3A and what district do they get the one with LCA, Somerset and Danville wow talking about no chance.

From my take on the Bracket, after looking, Mayfield would play the winner of LCA/Somerset/Danville in the Semi-State.. Only getting home field if LCA loses (RPI). They would play the Beechies for the Title, should both teams make it that far.

I understood it that when it gets to semi-state it will be ranking both east and west by RPI and 4 plays 1 and 2 vs 3.  With that being the case, and Somerset beats LCA then Beechwood would travel to War Memorial and Somerset would travel to West Carter.  If LCA wins then LCA would host Beechwood and Mayfield would travel to West Carter. I know they did it like that last year.

• Like 3