BluegrassPreps Class 2A Football Rankings (11/9) - Discussion

TheDeuce

Class 2A

There was not a single game this week featuring the best teams in 2A. The Top 10 remains the same as everyone sits in anticipation of what should be a dandy of a playoff.

Lexington Christian Academy finished in the top spot, a well deserved honors with wins over a handful of teams expected to factor heavily in their respective class' playoff pictures. Beechwood has been able to ride a historic season from Senior signal caller Cameron Hergott and seem well positioned to make another patented Tiger playoff push.

Somerset probably is the only team who is thankful for the delay to the playoffs. The Briarjumpers need to heal up and they are certain to have perhaps the toughest path in the State opening with fellow Top-5 Danville. West Carter benefited from the RPI formula and had the ability to host the Eastern side of the bracket as long as they win, LeeTavious Cline has been instrumental in a banner year for the Comets. Out West, both District 1 and 2 have been perhaps the most even. Drama may ensue once play resumes.

1. Lexington Christian Academy 

2. Beechwood 

3. Somerset  

4. Mayfield

5. Danville

6. West Carter 

7. Murray 

8. Caldwell County

9. Breathitt County

10. Hancock County

I am not a fan of the inter-district rounds of the playoffs, simply because of what we see here.  #1,3 and 5 are all from the same district, and most people believe LCA and Somerset have a great shot at a title.  The best teams in a class shouldn't have to face each other until at least the regional championship IMO.  It may make for some great first rounds, but then the regionals could be ho hum.  I hope the KHSAA changes this in the very near future.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nuke LaLoosh said:

I am not a fan of the inter-district rounds of the playoffs, simply because of what we see here.  #1,3 and 5 are all from the same district, and most people believe LCA and Somerset have a great shot at a title.  The best teams in a class shouldn't have to face each other until at least the regional championship IMO.  It may make for some great first rounds, but then the regionals could be ho hum.  I hope the KHSAA changes this in the very near future.

I am a fan of inter-district play for the first two rounds because it gives a true district champion.

7 hours ago, Pacman69 said:

I am a fan of inter-district play for the first two rounds because it gives a true district champion.

I think the regular season can effectively do that, and maybe even better. If all district teams play in the regular season, then you know who is better of the long haul. If you only do the first two rounds of the playoffs, you only know who is better for two weeks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pacman69 said:

I'll add - I understand why they playoffs are set up the way that they are, even if I disagree. Here's a way to design the first two rounds that could potentially avoid 2 and 3 seeds that are both really good:

District A 1st Place vs. District A 4th Place

District B 2nd Place vs. District 3 3rd Place

District B 1st Place vs. District B 1st Place

District A 2nd Place vs. District B 3rd Place

• You avoid long travel in the 1/4 game which will most likely be a blowout
  • District 2nd place avoids having to play their own District 1st place in the second round (this avoids games like LCA/Somerset so early this year)
  • District 3rd place, who may well be better than their opposite district opponent who finished 2nd, gets a chance to advance .

I'm not saying its perfect, but I don't like that Somerset is playing Danville in the first round when they are both top five teams, and the winner plays LCA. 40% of possible champions are eliminated in two weeks. That doesn't seem viable for long term quality playoffs.

• Like 2

Playing within your district for the first two rounds is ridiculous for the reasons people have already mentioned.  Teams typically backend their schedules with district games so then you turn around and play a district team again two weeks later?  They need to go back to matching up the districts based on geography and cross-districting for the first two rounds.  Of course, if geography and distance was a big concern, maybe we should've have six classes for football in the first place (but I know it's here to stay).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

Playing within your district for the first two rounds is ridiculous for the reasons people have already mentioned.  Teams typically backend their schedules with district games so then you turn around and play a district team again two weeks later?  They need to go back to matching up the districts based on geography and cross-districting for the first two rounds.  Of course, if geography and distance was a big concern, maybe we should've have six classes for football in the first place (but I know it's here to stay).

And they'll say its the same format as basketball but they are completely different sports. Basketball is designed to be played with quick turnarounds. District and region tournaments often have upsets because teams are similar in ability and are familiar with each other. Football is played once a week and you have a good idea of who will win and lose before the game is played - at least until the later rounds of the postseason. There's no need a 1 and 4 seed to play a regular season game in Week 9 then play again in the first round of the playoffs. At least playing opposite districts you're facing a new opponent - even if you are likely to lose.

4 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

And they'll say its the same format as basketball but they are completely different sports. Basketball is designed to be played with quick turnarounds. District and region tournaments often have upsets because teams are similar in ability and are familiar with each other. Football is played once a week and you have a good idea of who will win and lose before the game is played - at least until the later rounds of the postseason. There's no need a 1 and 4 seed to play a regular season game in Week 9 then play again in the first round of the playoffs. At least playing opposite districts you're facing a new opponent - even if you are likely to lose.

Why does it matter if you’re playing a different opponent? Typically, your 1 seed is gonna beat your 4 seed anyways. Might as well stay in your district so at least that way you can actually play a true district championship game. 

Football as it was set up with 4 classes was identical to basketball.  District championship was played for in the regular season.  The 4 teams making the playoffs from a district made up a region (4 regions in 4 classes made 16 regions). 

3 games were played to dictate a regional champion (just like basketball and other sports regional tournament).  After the region, it put you in the "state tournament" or semi finals for football.

To me the logical way to look at football is to play for district championship in the regular season, and have that seed your region!

People want to compare to basketball, but the district winners and losers can't play each other in the first 2 rounds of the region tourney as they are placed on opposite sides of the bracket!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pacman69 said:

Why does it matter if you’re playing a different opponent? Typically, your 1 seed is gonna beat your 4 seed anyways. Might as well stay in your district so at least that way you can actually play a true district championship game. 

Because I'd argue the district should be decided on games played throughout the regular season. Deciding a football district champion during the postseason has only happened three times in KHSAA history - 2006, 2007, last year, and now this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Because I'd argue the district should be decided on games played throughout the regular season. Deciding a football district champion during the postseason has only happened three times in KHSAA history - 2006, 2007, last year, and now this year.

Determining it in the playoffs goes with every other sport in Kentucky so that’s my favorite part about it. It also eliminates having a district champion tie breaker.

1. Lexington Christian Academy vs. Washington County

2. Beechwood vs. BYE

3. Somerset vs. #5 Danville

4. Mayfield vs. Ballard Memorial

5. Danville @ #3 Somerset

6. West Carter vs. Prestonsburg

7. Murray vs. #8 Caldwell County

8. Caldwell County @ #7 Murray

9. Breathitt County vs. Knott County Central

10. Hancock County vs. Todd County Central

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kyfb20?id=tournament_187002

Most anticipated matchup in the Top-10/First Round?

2 minutes ago, WCardinal said:

1. Lexington Christian Academy vs. Washington County

2. Beechwood vs. BYE

3. Somerset vs. #5 Danville

4. Mayfield vs. Ballard Memorial

5. Danville @ #3 Somerset

6. West Carter vs. Prestonsburg

7. Murray vs. #8 Caldwell County

8. Caldwell County @ #7 Murray

9. Breathitt County vs. Knott County Central

10. Hancock County vs. Todd County Central

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kyfb20?id=tournament_187002

Most anticipated matchup in the Top-10/First Round?

MARQUEE MATCHUP - #7 Danville vs. #5 Somerset - GAME OF THE WEEK

A NOTCH BELOW - #16 Caldwell vs. #9 Murray - UPSET POTENTIAL

ONE MORE NOTCH BELOW - 

#21 Todd County Central #6 Hancock Co 

#27 Knott Co. Central vs. #12 Breathitt Co. 

RUNNING CLOCK - 

#29 Prestonsburg vs. #2 West Carter

#20 Washington Co. vs. #1 Lexington Christian 

#37 Ballard vs. #3 Mayfield

SELECTIONS - Somerset; Murray; Hancock Co; Breathitt Co; West Carter; LCA; Mayfield

Only possible upset I see is Caldwell Co., but as much as I like Coach Barnes and the Tigers, I think they keep it close, but get edged late. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

MARQUEE MATCHUP - #7 Danville vs. #5 Somerset - GAME OF THE WEEK

A NOTCH BELOW - #16 Caldwell vs. #9 Murray - UPSET POTENTIAL

ONE MORE NOTCH BELOW - 

#21 Todd County Central #6 Hancock Co 

#27 Knott Co. Central vs. #12 Breathitt Co. 

RUNNING CLOCK - 

#29 Prestonsburg vs. #2 West Carter

#20 Washington Co. vs. #1 Lexington Christian 

#37 Ballard vs. #3 Mayfield

SELECTIONS - Somerset; Murray; Hancock Co; Breathitt Co; West Carter; LCA; Mayfield

Only possible upset I see is Caldwell Co., but as much as I like Coach Barnes and the Tigers, I think they keep it close, but get edged late. 

I expect Somerset to put another running clock on Danville. I’d also put Breathitt and KCC under the running clock category but I could be wrong. From what I’ve heard about KCC, they’re below average.