Paintsville at Raceland Predictions/Updates

Bac2369

Who wins?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Paintsville
    • Raceland

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/23/2020 at 11:30 PM

Paintsville comes in undefeated to this matchup. Raceland comes in at 3-3 with two straight wins and get more confidence every game. The winner of this one will get two home playoff games before the RPI reseeds the teams in the 3rd round. Who wins this matchup? Does Paintsville remain undefeated? Does Raceland spoil the Tigers undefeated season?

• Thanks 1

Looking back 16 years, the Raceland vs. Paintsville series is knotted up at 8 wins each. In the last 5 years, Painstville is definitely seems to hold the advantage over Raceland, having beaten them 8 of the 10 times they have seen one another on the football field. But twice in the last three years, the Rams have managed to get away with the win the game that counts the most, ending the Tigers' playoff bids in both 2017 and 2018.

Despite losing in the 1A finals last year to Pikeville, though, most folks agree that Paintsville is "back" as a perennial state title contender in 1A. Old foe Raceland would certainly like to have something to say about that though when the two face off on Friday. Raceland currently sits at 3-3, with losses to Pikeville, East Jessamine and Ashland, and wins over Greenup County, Washington County, and Fairview. Paintsville is still batting a thousand on the season, with 5 wins in 5 games.

Looking at their two common opponents thus far, Raceland lost 35-27 to East Jessamine and stomped Fairview 48-6. Paintsville beat East Jessamine 39-24 and routed Fairview 57-6. Unfortunate for Raceland, they are stepping up against what may be a perfect storm for a big loss. The Rams' offense relies heavily on passing, with two-thirds of their offensive yardage and touchdowns coming through the air, and their defensive weakness leans much more towards rushing, with almost 200 yards given up per game on the ground. On the flipside, the Tigers run a very run-laden offense, with two-thirds of their offensive yards gained on the ground, and little more than 100 yards allowed on the ground per game.

Can Raceland shore things up and take care of business on Friday? Or are they looking at a third straight loss to Paintsville?

Recent Record
2011: Raceland 47-0
2012: Raceland 57-0
2013: Raceland 32-10
2013: Raceland 42-12 (Playoffs)
2014: Raceland 32-0
2014: Raceland 32-21 (Playoffs)
2015: Paintsville 50-7
2015: Paintsville 20-15 (Playoffs)
2016: Paintsville 27-21 (OT)
2016: Paintsville 21-14 (Playoffs)
2017: Paintsville 32-18
2017: Raceland 31-14 (Playoffs)
2018: Paintsville 6-0
2018: Raceland 14-7 (Playoffs)
2019: Paintsville 19-15
2019: Paintsville 32-18 (Playoffs)
image.thumb.png.8ee8f1504a5406c53fd6e60867254719.png

• Thanks 1

This is the best annual rivalry in 1A, in my opinion. Paintsville and Raceland flat get after each other. Six of the last nine meetings have been decided by seven points or less. 

However, this looks like a year where the Tigers are a cut above the Rams. Raceland has a great quarterback, but he's surrounded by a lot of youth. Too much to beat Paintsville this year, I think. A competitive game shouldn't surprise anyone, but I'm looking for a minimum four score win for the road team. 

23 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

This is the best annual rivalry in 1A, in my opinion. Paintsville and Raceland flat get after each other. Six of the last nine meetings have been decided by seven points or less. 

However, this looks like a year where the Tigers are a cut above the Rams. Raceland has a great quarterback, but he's surrounded by a lot of youth. Too much to beat Paintsville this year, I think. A competitive game shouldn't surprise anyone, but I'm looking for a minimum four score win for the road team. 

A four score win by Paintsville would be impressive.