Reds at Braves (NL Wild Card Series) 9/30-10/2

Reds vs Braves  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cincinnati Reds
    • Atlanta Braves

32 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Analytics has eliminated the bunt from most managers play books. Statistically it has been proven that it is better to take your chances on getting a hit to drive-in a run than bunting a man over and giving away an out.

Are you being sarcastic??  I’m not talking about a sacrifice, I’m talking about squeezing yo get a run which would’ve won the game. Yes, a bunt to move a runner to 2nd is a waste, especially for this team. 

In case anyone is keeping count the Reds have now went 19 straight scoreless innings. In those 18 scoreless innings the Reds have left 17 men on base and are 1-14 with runners in scoring position. Of course the 1 hit is the one yesterday that Votto could not score from 2nd base. Also a .191 team ave. with 25 strikeouts so far.

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Are you being sarcastic??  I’m not talking about a sacrifice, I’m talking about squeezing yo get a run which would’ve won the game. Yes, a bunt to move a runner to 2nd is a waste, especially for this team. 

Did I miss something? Who said squeeze bunt? The posts I quoted were talking about sacrificing.

15 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Lefthanded hitters only had 1 hit in 23 at bats (.043 average)against Garrett this season with 12 strikeouts.   He was good against righthanders as well with a .231 batting average allowed.   However,  he only had 14 strikeouts in 39 at bats.   The Reds needed a strikeout there.   I guess they thought they had a better shot at it with Garrett vs Freeman than vs Ozuna.  

You are thinking like David Bell...sometimes baseball has to be played by feel not by the numbers. You don't give the MVP (presumed) an opportunity to beat you. Walking him also sets up a force at all bases, which would make a DP easier to turn as well as a force at home easier than a tag. You may be right "By the numbers" but sometimes you just need to use your gut.

15 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

The Reds had zero sacrifice bunts all season.  Can you imagine the uproar if they'd have tried it and gotten tagged out at home?  That probably would have had a similar outcome to the botched double steal.  

Here was my post that was quoted: Farmer or Barnhart DEFINITELY should’ve squeezed!!

I never said anything about sacrifice bunts. @Voice of Reason

WHY bring Iglesias in that situation??  He’s always struggled coming in that situation plus you still have to get them out if you take the lead. Bell is such a clown, please fire him!!!  Plus, if you’re going to bring Lorenzen in now you bring him in to START the inning.  What a CLOWN!!