Somerset at Russellville Predictions/Updates

DevilMayCare

Briar Jumpers vs. Panthers   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the win?

• Somerset
    • Russellville

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/25/2020 at 11:30 PM

After Week 1, this game didn't appear to have much juice, with Somerset sitting atop the 2A rankings and Russellville (1-1) suffering a three score setback to Logan County. The Jumpers (2-0) might still be a considerable favorite, but the Panthers' season got an injection of life following an attention grabbing win over Franklin-Simpson last Friday. The Panthers were blown out by FS, 42-0, last year, so not many people outside of Russellville could have seen Friday's win coming.

Somerset fell behind Williamsburg by an early touchdown in Week 2, before going on a 48-0 run to rout the Yellowjackets. Mr. Football candidate Kaiya Sheron threw for 364 yards and scored four total touchdowns for the Jumpers.

Can Russellville's defense slow down a Somerset offense averaging 44 points and 550 yards per game through two weeks?

Somerset is the better team, but after last weeks significant win for Russellville, I could see Somerset being a little lethargic from the long bus ride and take them a couple quarters to get rolling.  They still win, but it could be closer than most expect.

After watching Somerset play a young and inexperienced Russellville team last season I came away impressed with the young Panthers inspite of the Jumpers margin of victory.   Russellville was well coached and played hard.   You could see that they were athletic and they did some good things.   It wasn't a shock to me when they went on their late season run. 

Somerset has the better team again and should win comfortably.   However,  the long trip over there combined with a Russellville team that is believing in themselves will make this a game that Somerset will have to come out focused in.   The last couple of weeks the Jumpers have started slowly.   Hopefully they come out ready to play this week.   I think the coaching staff will have Somerset locked in a ready to play.   The Panthers hang in for awhile but once the Jumpers get their legs under them they pull away.  Somerset 34-13.  

4 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

Somerset wins easily I think Russellville should’ve scheduled a little lighter to give the team a better chance of winning until they were all the way back. 

I think small schools suffer at times due to name recognition. Russellville has traditionally been a top ten Class 1A team with the potential to compete for state championships. The schedule for the 2019 and 2020 seasons were likely made in late 2017, when Russellville was 7-5 and had made the second round of the playoffs. They had won double digit games in three of the four seasons before that. When Russellville is making those calls about scheduling, there aren't a whole lot of smaller teams willing to accept. And when the coach says "we'll be down for a couple of years," other coaches hear that as "they'll be 6-4 and still better than us." That's how Russellville ends up playing Glasgow, Somerset, and a bunch of really good neighborhood teams.

• Like 1