TheDeuce

Breonna Taylor Killed In Her Apartment by LMPD Officers

Just now, GrantNKY said:

I don’t think we disagree really. We’re asking for the same thing whether you call it education or training. It’s clear we’re not doing enough as is. 

I hear you but I will say this, the law enforcement training I had blew away anything I ever had in traditional college. 

To your point, I definitely agree as a group officers need to train more but that is very costly on multiple fronts.  When you are not on duty because you are training someone has to replace you so in addition to the cost of training you have to hire extra officers.  

Just now, GrantNKY said:

The issue is that becoming an officer is the backup plan nowadays. The people I went to school with growing up that are now officers,  none of them really grew up wanting to be an officer. They all went to college got a degree in something unrelated to law enforcement and then became officers after not having a defined career path after college. 

Exactly, who would want to do that job, not me...

In the last decade or so, the requirement for a bachelors has driven off really appealing candidates I bet.  

34 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I do not buy into the mentality that military automatically makes good law enforcement for this exact reason. The military is not reality when it comes to engaging with people. 

Military personnel  has been introduced to stress.  That is key, you just have to make sure the candidate is whole.  

What do you mean by not reality with engaging people?

1 minute ago, John Anthony said:

What do you mean by not reality with engaging people?

The way the military interacts with each other is not representative of how civilians interact with each other on a daily basis, IMO.

5 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

The way the military interacts with each other is not representative of how civilians interact with each other on a daily basis, IMO.

Yes and no, obviously the military is very regimented/structured, the average Joe isn’t.  Most of our federal officers are former military and there doesn’t seem to be a problem there.  I think the average former MP would be an ideal police candidate.  

A big misnomer for police is their job is mainly communication, taking to people all day.  MP’s do this, but have stress inoculation built in.  I’m not saying all former military is the answer but I think it’s a significant piece of the puzzle.  

I’d almost prefer them over someone who decided between LE and finance or real estate.

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

None that I am aware of, but I'm sure it's happened. 

Not on any of these national cases, at least the recent ones.  Is that pure randomness?  

7 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Not on any of these national cases, at least the recent ones.  Is that pure randomness?  

Of course not. 

4 hours ago, John Anthony said:

In the last decade or so, the requirement for a bachelors has driven off really appealing candidates I bet.  

I think the lack of pay has more to do with it than a bachelors requirement. Good people don’t want to become cops anymore they want a higher standard of living than most cops are afforded. 

6 Qualities of a good policy officer:

1. Communication skills

2. Compassion and empathy

3. Integrity

4. Negotiation skills

5. Eagerness to learn

6. Mental agility

https://www.rasmussen.edu/degrees/justice-studies/blog/overlooked-qualities-of-police-officer/

Interesting because this article comes from a college advertising their Criminal Justice program in order to help form these qualities in their students.

3 hours ago, John Anthony said:

I’d almost prefer them over someone who decided between LE and finance or real estate.

I would probably lean heavier the other way on this but I understand your point. I am just cautious about putting those who served overseas in the military back out to serve on the front lines as officer. We need better care for our veterans to be able to properly treat them psychologically when they return from war. Between problems with PTSD, Depression, drug and alcohol abuse, a lot of people aren’t fit to be serving our communities when they return from duty and it’s at no fault of their own. 

Just now, nkypete said:

6 Qualities of a good policy officer:

1. Communication skills

2. Compassion and empathy

3. Integrity

4. Negotiation skills

5. Eagerness to learn

6. Mental agility

https://www.rasmussen.edu/degrees/justice-studies/blog/overlooked-qualities-of-police-officer/

Interesting because this article comes from a college advertising their Criminal Justice program in order to help form these qualities in their students.

Every single one of these incidents would have been avoided if the officers involved displayed even just one of those 6 characteristics. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Every single one of these incidents would have been avoided if the officers involved displayed even just one of those 6 characteristics. 

I do think ALL of them are important as well as experience.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

I would probably lean heavier the other way on this but I understand your point. I am just cautious about putting those who served overseas in the military back out to serve on the front lines as officer. We need better care for our veterans to be able to properly treat them psychologically when they return from war. Between problems with PTSD, Depression, drug and alcohol abuse, a lot of people aren’t fit to be serving our communities when they return from duty and it’s at no fault of their own. 

Most of our DEA, FBI, CIA are former military.  We don’t see issues there.  Not every soldier would be cut out for LE but we do have tens of thousands of former MP’s, who were police in the military.  It goes back to what Deuce and I were saying about cops being afraid of minorities.  There was a huge push for the college crowd the last few decades.  That sounds nice on paper, but we need more diversity on patrol.  

A lot of good discussions on here, I think we’re all looking for solutions.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

A lot of good discussions on here, I think we’re all looking for solutions.

Agreed. BGP has been without a doubt the best place to be during this time. From Covid to race issues, we’ve all been extremely civil and open to listening. We all have Twitter, Facebook, etc. and we all get on there and it’s just people yelling at an empty audience. It’s been great to have actual conversations and see people present solutions instead of just regurgitating the same empty rhetoric over and over again. 

• Like 1