Is Tennessee back?

John Anthony

Vols are skyrocketing in recruiting this cycle, currently #2 nationally and trying to push my Buckeyes for #1.

Are they going to restore order in the East?

What would you attribute the boost in recruiting to?

• Like 1

Vols are skyrocketing in recruiting this cycle, currently #2 nationally and trying to push my Buckeyes for #1.

Are they going to restore order in the East?

That ranking is pretty inflated by the fact that they already have 21 commits. On Rivals, the Vols current average star ranking is 3.38. That's probably good for a top 15 or top 20 class at the end of the cycle. Good but not great class for Tennessee if that holds up.

• Like 1

That ranking is pretty inflated by the fact that they already have 21 commits. On Rivals, the Vols current average star ranking is 3.38. That's probably good for a top 15 or top 20 class at the end of the cycle. Good but not great class for Tennessee if that holds up.

Fair point, I use 247 though and believe they could end up top 10-12 with an 89 average player rating. Two 5 stars and 7 four stars, to go with twelve 3 stars is quite a haul out of nowhere for UT.

Only a handful of schools will get multiple 5 stars.

• Like 1

They also had bumper crops with Kiffin and Butch...

In both of those cases I felt Tennessee sold out to letting the "inmates run the asylum" and in the long run the highly ranked players they had on their roster did not translate to the success that you see other schools have.

That is the key for Pruitt. A historical program in the SEC with a rampant fanbase, great facilities, and open spots for playing time can be very appealing to bring in a highly ranked recruiting class. What happens with discipline and transfers when too many promises are made or the wins don't come at first is what becomes the watershed.

I know this about Pruitt from some VERY credible sources from his time as an assistant at UGA.

- He is a first class recruiter.

- He is also a first class jerk.

- He is a habitual bridge burner.

Maybe he has changed since his time on the UGA staff, but from what I have heard from some names I trust above all else, he will either be a glorious success as a Head Coach or a glorious failure.

• Like 1

Tennessee had an interesting year. Lost two games they shouldn't have and started 1-4 then finished 8-5. If they beat Georgia State and BYU, they are 10-3 and their only loses are to teams they should have lost to... Georgia, Florida and Alabama. As to their current recruiting ranking it is definitely skewed because of the number of commits (21). But, that also shows the kids they are going after trust the staff and want to be there. Tennessee won't truly be "back" until they win the East or at least beat either Georgia or Florida in the season and then finish near the top. Tennessee has a lot to offer and always will. Nashville is on fire right now and any kid looking to play at a school and then start his career (not the NFL) in a state with a lot of job potential, Tennessee is at the top of that list.

• Like 1

UT was extremely fortunate to beat UK last year and were very lucky to beat IU in the bowl game! They will finish no higher than 4th in the East this year!

No higher than 4th?

Lets see Georgia and Florida then.....?

• Like 1