Final 2006 Massey Ratings

colonel-fan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of stuff wrong with it through out the classes. But im guessing '98 is talking about Male being listed over Trinity.

If they played tomorrow, would you be shocked if Male won? Male was 3 yards away from beating Trinity. And their other wins are very impressive. Is it that surprising Male would be rated above Trinity?

It is odd that a team losing in the third round is proclaimed as #1, but Male had a great team. I wonder what kept them up there.. the big point production? Oh well... given a Massey rating or hardware I'd take the latter.

Would it be easier to take if the old playoff sytem was in effect and Male had lost in the finals? Who knows, if they didn't have to beat X/T back to back, they may well have won the title.

It is odd that a team losing in the third round is proclaimed as #1, but Male had a great team. I wonder what kept them up there.. the big point production? Oh well... given a Massey rating or hardware I'd take the latter.

SOS and point total.

I'm a diehard Trinity fan, but I have no problem with Male being ranked as #1. They were formidable this year, and if Agyei had not left his assignment in Beaumont, we'd have lost that game.

Male ahead of Trinity, Bardstown being 8 spots ahead of NCC. One loss, great, against who? And Beechwood being 10 spots ahead of NCC, I know they split, but NCC won in the playoffs and won state.

Male was three yards away from beating T, ok. So!!!!

SOS and point total.

I'm a diehard Trinity fan, but I have no problem with Male being ranked as #1. They were formidable this year, and if Agyei had not left his assignment in Beaumont, we'd have lost that game.

But you didn't, and you proved it on the field.

Maybe playoff wins should be weighted heavier I don't know.

I'm fine with them, not going to bother me in the least, but when you release something like that after the season, you're open to be ridiculed.

Rating systems weigh every game equally--they don't give extra weight to a head to head matchup between two teams. Over-reliance on head to head matchups can create unresolvable quandaries as well, as in the case where three teams beat each other. In the case of Male being ranked ahead of Trinity, the four point Trinity win wasn't enough to outweigh the results of the other games on each team's schedule, which were obviously more favorable to Male. Prior to the game, Massey predicted Male would win 8 out of 10 games against Trinity. The rating differential between the teams has narrowed significantly now--I would guess the Massey prediction based on the final ratings would give Male a little better than a 50% chance of winning if they played again.

Congratulations to Trinity for winning despite being a heavy underdog. Overachieving results have become one of the hallmarks of the Beatty era.

I'll prob. get some flack from this, but at least this poll recognized Harlan as a better team than Hazard or Pikeville this year. Mountain top 10 for instance ended up with both above Harlan simply because of their finish in the playoffs. Had Somerset not been in Harlan's district, Harlan would most likely have been the Regional champ in Region 4. I'm not much on polls, but in this instance, they got it right.