Rose Hill 53 Boyd Co 50

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this what its going to be everytime Rose Hill plays a close game,or gets beat.?

In a word.......YES. Why would you expect things to change now? Always has been always will be. Let me say that this does not seem to be the coaches viewpoint, only that of a few select fans.

I don't think Rose Hill has been or will be any different than anyone else. Unfortunately, present day society promotes blaming others for negative outcomes in life. I listened to the Class 2A game today and the local announcers seemed to think that their favorite was getting a few poor calls that seriously affected the outcome of the game. I suppose it is really quite normal. Partisanship requires it.

Since my post from last night has been the subject of so many replies, and since the emotions of last night have had time to digest, let me clarify a few things. As stated in an earlier post, the refs are assigned to work the games. That elimanates RH, or any other school getting refs to work their home games they feel will give them an advantage. So the posts saying it is impossible to have a game called badly in your opponents favor on your home court don't hold water.

The point was also raised that it wasn't the # of fouls, but the timing of the calls, and the players being called. For Fraley, or any other coach, to approach a game with the attitude that the only way to win is to hack on their opponents stars, get them upset, and cause them to get into foul trouble, is not ethical coaching. To use the advantage of having a larger bench to work in fresh legs is a sound philosophy. To have the attitude that the larger bench means more fouls to give is conceding the fact your team is outmatched. Rose Hill won what was a sound victory until the end when BC made their "comeback" against RH's bench. These two teams always play physical ball against each other. To expect this year to be any different was just wishful thinking on my part. I'm just glad no one got hurt in this hack-fest. The refs need to keep better control of the games so the fouling does not get out of control.

Explain to me how this is an issue of ethics.....If a coach instructs his/her players to attempt to injure an opponent then I would agree but you and I both know that is not the case.......Personally I think it is up to a coach to make the most of what talent they do have. It is necessary to exploit any weakness your opponent may have. An inability to maintain ones cool is just as big a weakness as lack of size, lack of footspeed, poor shooting etc..... While the coach attempts to exploit opponents weaknesses he/she also has to minimize their own shortcomings. Rose Hill's shortcomings may be lack of depth and quick tempered individuals. How is it unethical to exploit those issues? If I have depth on my bench and will not be hurt by a few players fouling out, why would I not want to play as physical as possible each and every night out?

For as long as I can remember Boyd has played an aggressive, physical brand of basketball. The same can be said for the 3 stars of Rose Hill. These young ladies play just as physical as anyone else. How can you expect anyone who plays this way not to be called for a fair number of fouls? If you look at the stats again, tell me how Queen and Terry could pull down 24 boards and have 12 steals between them without being a bit aggressive.

I didn't say that it was affirmatively confirmed by those to whom I spoke. I said that it was not disputed or contradicted. Silence is often enlightening. Now, I didn't claim to have talked with all 15 other coaches but but I did talk with several. Do you honestly think that I am incorrect in my conclusion?

I am not complaining whatsoever about any hostile feelings. It is merely part of the process. I accept that without reservation.

I really have no idea about your conclusion, I don't have near the data that you do. I just would have never guessed that there would be 100% participation in the "rooting" boycott.

Is this what its going to be everytime Rose Hill plays a close game,or gets beat.?

No. No one can blame every loss or close game on the officiating. And of course the RH coach, if she feels as I do, can not afford to vocalize those feelings for fear of reprisal from the officiating crew. This discussion is going down hill. There are always going to be disagreements about close games. I didn't realize my comments would generate such disharmony amongst the ranks. Sorry!

No. No one can blame every loss or close game on the officiating. And of course the RH coach, if she feels as I do, can not afford to vocalize those feelings for fear of reprisal from the officiating crew. This discussion is going down hill. There are always going to be disagreements about close games. I didn't realize my comments would generate such disharmony amongst the ranks. Sorry!

This is A good thread,this is A topic that has went on for years. I myself get caught in the act of blaming the Refs. I would not have there job, untill you do it you dont know how hard it is. Rose Hill is a good team and there are teams that want to make a statement when they play Rose Hill, they will be many hard fought games this year for Rose Hill, but I call that respect to the program,because being number one everbody wants to beat you.

Its not what you said at all, its how you said it. "Good job refs! Way to keep it close !" In my opinion that just sounds childish. You won the game and you're complaining about the way it was called. Many people could complain about the advantages that Rose Hill has over other schools in this state, but thats a can of worms I'm not going to open. Last year when RH went to state, I listened to their ball games and wish they would have won the whole thing, I think its great when a team from this area gets a shot at one of the giants from lexington, but from your statements in this thread its Rose Hill against the state of Kentucky. You stated you had to leave the region to get a game called fairly and thats just not the case for Rose Hill or any program in the state. "For Fraley, or any other coach, to approach a game with the attitude that the only way to win is to hack on their opponents stars, get them upset, and cause them to get into foul trouble, is not ethical coaching." Did you talk to Coach Fraley ? Did you get that info from a reliable source ? Or did you just come up with that off the wall theory all by yourself ? Maybe the players were just playing aggresive ball against a team that is bigger, stronger, faster and more atheletic than them. Thats what good ball teams are taught to do. I highly doubt that Coach Fraleys intentions were to hurt any of Rose Hills players. This is basketball not chess....If you react this way to the way a young Boyd County team's physical play I suggest you prepare yourself for a real shock when you play some of the bigger more atheletic schools. Everything you have said in this entire thread has really blown my mind.

The winning teams fan base is whining about the officials...why would anyone want to officiate? Refs have real jobs and family's they could devote all of their time too from November to March, not have to travel, not pay for all of their uniforms and equipment...or...they can officiate, sacrafice their time with their family, make 50-bucks to cover their expenses and get critized.

The number of officials continue to decrease, wonder why...the real loser is the family of officials. If the players don't have refs then they can't play.

Play call your own and see how bad it is...or make it take it...

How many free throws did Queen, Terry and Faulkner take. (23) that's a nice number of attempts for three people in one game?

And the refs kept it close...let's not forget about the 18 turnovers the same three had...

No whining here, I simply noted how rough the game was. It made for an ugly game. Hey, the refs missed a few calls...not a big deal...and the Lady Royals learned they can win ugly.

What's your point about the number of free throws taken by the three Lady Royals in question? Likewise, the turnovers? Explain the logic, please.

Ill add in one more thought and then quit I promise. The fact that you called out the refs ( more so in the way you went about doing so ) not only is a slap in the face to the effort the Boyd County girls gave, but it cheapens the victory that your Rose Hill girls achieved. Also the refs are doing this in their free time for a few extra dollars a week, give them a break. At one time I often criticized officals and the way they went about things, untill I tried it myself, its a very hard thing to do and people criticizing their job doesnt help. I have no problem with you feeling the refs did a sub par job, but maybe next time you could post your opinions in a more respectable way.

Great job Royals, you guys have your work cut out for you this season with the loss of Kayla and the this bench you have to work with, I wish you all the best of luck and wouldnt be surprised at all if you end up where you were last season.

Its not what you said at all, its how you said it. "Good job refs! Way to keep it close !" In my opinion that just sounds childish. You won the game and you're complaining about the way it was called. Many people could complain about the advantages that Rose Hill has over other schools in this state, but thats a can of worms I'm not going to open. Last year when RH went to state, I listened to their ball games and wish they would have won the whole thing, I think its great when a team from this area gets a shot at one of the giants from lexington, but from your statements in this thread its Rose Hill against the state of Kentucky. You stated you had to leave the region to get a game called fairly and thats just not the case for Rose Hill or any program in the state. "For Fraley, or any other coach, to approach a game with the attitude that the only way to win is to hack on their opponents stars, get them upset, and cause them to get into foul trouble, is not ethical coaching." Did you talk to Coach Fraley ? Did you get that info from a reliable source ? Or did you just come up with that off the wall theory all by yourself ? Maybe the players were just playing aggresive ball against a team that is bigger, stronger, faster and more atheletic than them. Thats what good ball teams are taught to do. I highly doubt that Coach Fraleys intentions were to hurt any of Rose Hills players. This is basketball not chess....If you react this way to the way a young Boyd County team's physical play I suggest you prepare yourself for a real shock when you play some of the bigger more atheletic schools. Everything you have said in this entire thread has really blown my mind.

Like I already said, sorry I offended your delicate sensibilities. I didn't mean to blow your mind.

Ill add in one more thought and then quit I promise. The fact that you called out the refs ( more so in the way you went about doing so ) not only is a slap in the face to the effort the Boyd County girls gave, but it cheapens the victory that your Rose Hill girls achieved. Also the refs are doing this in their free time for a few extra dollars a week, give them a break. At one time I often criticized officals and the way they went about things, untill I tried it myself, its a very hard thing to do and people criticizing their job doesnt help. I have no problem with you feeling the refs did a sub par job, but maybe next time you could post your opinions in a more respectable way.

Great job Royals, you guys have your work cut out for you this season with the loss of Kayla and the this bench you have to work with, I wish you all the best of luck and wouldnt be surprised at all if you end up where you were last season.

You talkin' to me? Are you speakin' to me (in my best De Nero face)?

The refs did a credible job in calling what was a rough and ugly contest. There were a few missed calls...as is the case in every game...but they did not determine the outcome. Would I prefer that they missed just one or two less than they did? Sure. That said, I would in no way cheapen the effort on the part of any kid in that game.

Let me add this...these two teams could meet 3 more times this season.

Emily Queen: 24 points on 7/19 shooting (includes 0/2 3ptrs), 10/13 free throws, 17 rebounds, 9 steals, 3 assists, 6 turnovers

Laura Terry:15 points on 6/16 shooting (includes 1/4 3ptrs), 2/4 free throws, 7 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 assists, 4 turnovers

Brit Faulkner:6 points on 1/2 shooting (no 3 ptrs), 4/6 free throws, 1 assist, 8 turnovers

Other notables: Kelsee Hammonds 2 points, 5 rebounds for the 7th grader.

Congratulations, girls. Typical 1st game jitters, inability to settle down, extremely rough play, but much to be learned from the game.

Correction:

Terry - 1/5 3ptrs.

Faulkner - 4/8 free throws