Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trinity 35 St. Xavier 3

Featured Replies

Yep and that was a bad call because the center moved first on that play too.

 

Pretty sure the officials conferenced on that call too. So it obviously was up for discussion as to who moved first.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day the St. X offensive line just isn’t very good and haven’t been the last two years. At the same T’s front 7 is very good and is only going to get better. Going forward, St. X has to be able to make plays in the passing game to loosen up the box. If a team is controlling the LOS then the QB and WRs have to make something happen and not just leave the OL hanging out to dry.

 

It’s a tough loss, but if you’re an X fan probably saw coming but just hoped it could be a bit closer. Better time is ahead, but at the end of the day St. X has been blown out by the top two teams in KY, they must adjust and keep moving forward.

The DL for Trinity was classless on the false starts, should have been flagged. Also still calling snap counts as have been for years. However, X needs to get tougher. Trinity’s plan to bring pressure and hold receivers bothered us all night, again need to get tougher.

 

I had no problem with what Trinity did vs. the false starts. If the center moves the ball, he is entitled to be hit.

Go back and watch the tape. St. X had a lineman move one the left side which causes the DL to move on the one penalty against the Rocks.

Never a good sign when the top conversation for a game is a false start penalty.

The Jr class is certainly very strong for Trinity, but we start more than 5 Seniors. TE Racculia, WR Miller, O-Line Suddick, Lewis, Reader, Wessel, D-Line Roberson, Hendrick, Cave, OLB Waggoner. Two TE sets adds Rice and Mata is the place kicker ... all Seniors, all start for Trinity.

I went back and watched this game and after watching the first quarter and half (I had to take break after the screen INT for a TD) there were plays to be made for St. X they just didn't make them. On T's first scoring drive #20 looks to be in a position to at least break up the pass but is unable too, and the one handed catch from T's TE is huge as well. T's TD run was a good play call. On St. X's second offensive drive they had an inside fade route to #89 and it's just a bit overthrown, if he catches it it's a big gain possibly a TD. I'll keep watching it, but at least after the first quarter I'm not as discouraged about this game as I was when I first saw the score. The difference between the best teams and everyone else is the ability to make the plays when they're there to be made, and early in the game St. X didn't do that, with the exception of the INT on T's first offensive drive.

Also I'll put my two cents in on the false start controversy... number #13 on Trinity's defense yells something to signal his DL to move, which I'm sure sounds very close to a QB's cadence which is why you see the sporadic movement from the St. X front. As a former OL when LBers do that it's annoying but I guess it's "gamesmanship", but also something the officials can call a penalty on if the LBer's signal sounds like that of the offensive's cadence. The NT for T, while it's not a personal foul, he did decide to get his monies worth on a free play. But the second one is just bad...

The X spin machine is up and running.

Or just stating how winning and losing a game comes down to series of inches; like Al Pacino said in Any Given Sunday.

  • Author
Or just stating how winning and losing a game comes down to series of inches; like Al Pacino said in Any Given Sunday.

 

They're everywhere!

Wasn't there. Didn't see the game.It's obvious X got a beat down, so no excuses. This wasn't a 2 point game.

I will say, however, that when my sons played they all complained about T calling the cadence causing false starts.

I went back and watched this game and after watching the first quarter and half (I had to take break after the screen INT for a TD) there were plays to be made for St. X they just didn't make them. On T's first scoring drive #20 looks to be in a position to at least break up the pass but is unable too, and the one handed catch from T's TE is huge as well. T's TD run was a good play call. On St. X's second offensive drive they had an inside fade route to #89 and it's just a bit overthrown, if he catches it it's a big gain possibly a TD. I'll keep watching it, but at least after the first quarter I'm not as discouraged about this game as I was when I first saw the score. The difference between the best teams and everyone else is the ability to make the plays when they're there to be made, and early in the game St. X didn't do that, with the exception of the INT on T's first offensive drive.

 

St. X’s inability to run the ball when they need to against good teams, particularly Trinity and Male, has been an Achilles heel for the program for the past several years. Until they get this rectified, they will struggle to win those big games in the future. I have no problem with spreading it out and throwing the ball. I think good teams need to be able to do that as well. However, there does not seem to be a commitment from the program to running the football and being a physical team. I have said this many times on the website, and I will continue to say it: I don’t understand why St. X has to operate out of the shotgun/pistol basically 100% of the time. There is a time and place for getting under center and having a more down-hill type running game and complimentary play action passing game. Trinity does this very effectively, and they are also very proficient at spread stuff. One would think St. X could learn from this. Obviously that is not part of the offensive philosophy of the current regime, though.

It seems like their run game scheme isn’t very good and against top competition it will get exposed. Not much movement and not much get off on the snap. Pass protection is an issue I’m not sure what their protection calls are but when you don’t block the edge rusher you’re going to have problems.

 

In regards to under center, I’m starting to believe at least in short yardage situations an offense must mix it up with fun and under center. Think to T’s first score, that play is not as effective if they’re in the gun.

It seems like their run game scheme isn’t very good and against top competition it will get exposed. Not much movement and not much get off on the snap. Pass protection is an issue I’m not sure what their protection calls are but when you don’t block the edge rusher you’re going to have problems.

 

In regards to under center, I’m starting to believe at least in short yardage situations an offense must mix it up with fun and under center. Think to T’s first score, that play is not as effective if they’re in the gun.

 

I totally agree with you about mixing it up. I am in no way saying shotgun/pistol is bad. It can be very effective as well. But there is no reason not to have the capacity to do both when needed.

 

Also, I think the play action game is more convincing/effective from under center. Trinity does a nice job with this as well.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.