St. Xavier 28 Bowling Green 14

Tigerpride94

I'd love to know what is going on in Coach Wallace's head right now...how he feels after heading back to Bowling Green for the first time and beating his old team in their house.

Probably mixed emotions. BG announcer did nice welcome to him before coin toss and crowd cheered. Coach Wallace waved to the crowd. It was nice gesture by BG.

The BG and X relationship over the years has been a good one. Coach Wallace continues to speak highly of the Purples, and deservedly so. Hope the series continues for many years. I would have expected nothing less of the BG administration and crowd.

X played well and BG had way too many mistakes. But I always wanna look for the positives in a loss. The O-Line looked much better than I thought they would, which will be a big factor in their next few games, especially SW. Clean up the turnovers and you’ve got a pretty solid team I could see making a run and contending for state.

Okay the Purples impressed a lot more than I thought they would. I really thought St. X would be too big up front on both sides of the ball. And to start the game it looked like it was going to be a blowout. Which is what I thought would happen. But the Purples adjusted quickly and really bounced back.

I believe if BG doesn't have the 4 or 5 turnovers they win this game. In fact I think they were one stop a way from winning this game. Late in the third or early fourth it was 14-7 and St. X defense was done. They were completely spent and wore down. All BG had to do was get a stop on St.X's next possession and BG would have been able to fairly easily march down the field to tie the game.

But the BG defense just couldn't get a stop on that drive and St. X scored. It was just too much to overcome in the short time left. St. X QB was able to put some long passes right on the money. BUT I hand it to BG and the coaches. The Purples are in shape and didn't tire the whole game.

I also believe this rotating QBs every two series is a bad idea. Now after McCracken County I firmly believed that Cooper was the guy. However, against St. X is became clear early on that Payne had much more success than Cooper did and it wasn't close. I think it was a mistake not to keep him in once it became clear he was having more success. I just thought it was stubborn to keep subbing in and out.

BG's line on both sides of the ball did a great job. Much better than I thought. Again if they don't turn the ball over that much, they win. And I believe if they keep Payne in at the QB spot for this game, they win.

One thing that killed Purples was the cornerback play. On the longer pass plays they don't even turn around to look for the ball. They just blindly put their hands up to block the view of the receiver, but it didn't work. There were several passes that could have been picked off if the cornerback would have just been turned around looking for the ball.

But I thought a great effort by BG and just a few plays away from winning this game. Still think they need to find away to get Tisdale more involved on defense in terms of making some plays. Doing some blitzs or something. I think he gets wasted way too much in safety spot and playing way deep.