Cincinnati Recruiting 2020

Walter

All comes down to money. Sparty has to go in at 4.5 to even get his attention.

I'd disagree it comes down to money... He has already turned down big $$$ offers from Louisville, West VA, and BC, among others.

I think him being good friends with Dantonio and knowing the shape or that program right now actually helps UC this time around in the coaching carousel.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd disagree it comes down to money... He has already turned down big $$$ offers from Louisville, West VA, and BC, among others.

I think him being good friends with Dantonio and knowing the shape or that program right now actually helps UC this time around in the coaching carousel.

None of those schools are on the level of Sparty. What did “they” offer? Let’s be honest the 2.3 UC is paying, is chump change for a guy of his caliber. If Sparty wants him they have to buy him given the state of their program. 4-4.5 starts the conversation, but i’d just throw out 5 and seal it if I were Sparty.

My thoughts as well. MSU is a mess right now and I can't see Fick wanting to put his family in that situation.

A few more kids that UC could potentially steal from other programs tomorrow. That should tell us even more. Really easy for other programs to negative recruit against UC right now with the Fick rumors.

Today will be the tell. If UC doesn’t skip a beat, I think everything will be fine. If we see some flips, I’ll worry. Fingers crossed.

None of those schools are on the level of Sparty. What did “they” offer? Let’s be honest the 2.3 UC is paying, is chump change for a guy of his caliber. If Sparty wants him they have to buy him given the state of their program. 4-4.5 starts the conversation, but i’d just throw out 5 and seal it if I were Sparty.

Valid points.

But you also have to consider Fick's home life. Son is going to be a senior at Moeller and wife and kids love the area. You know Amy will have a say in what he does and where their family lives.

Fick is a different type of dude than BK, Butch, and even Dantonio. I'm not naive enough to think he stays here forever, but when he took this job he gave UC a list of improvements he wanted over time for the program to be able to continue to grow. He's more worried about that than dollar signs associated with his name.

As long as UC continues to keep their promise on improving the program (locker room upgrades, permanent indoor facility, assistant pay raises), Fick is going to be selective with what job he ultimately leaves for.

GT stated on his site that Fick talked to Jadon Thompson yesterday before he committed and after the rumors started swirling. Can't see a kid like that coming to UC if the head coach isn't all in as well.

To go even further .. Freeman turned down Vrabel and the Titans LB coach offer. Can't see him doing that if he knows Fick is leaving too.

Today will be the tell. If UC doesn’t skip a beat, I think everything will be fine. If we see some flips, I’ll worry. Fingers crossed.

Chris Scott, Dom Perry, and Jadon Thompson have all three signed their LOI's and faxed them in this morning.

Only two left with decisions to make are former USF commit Marquez Bell and Ole Miss commit De'Arre McDonald.

Valid points.

But you also have to consider Fick's home life. Son is going to be a senior at Moeller and wife and kids love the area. You know Amy will have a say in what he does and where their family lives.

Fick is a different type of dude than BK, Butch, and even Dantonio. I'm not naive enough to think he stays here forever, but when he took this job he gave UC a list of improvements he wanted over time for the program to be able to continue to grow. He's more worried about that than dollar signs associated with his name.

As long as UC continues to keep their promise on improving the program (locker room upgrades, permanent indoor facility, assistant pay raises), Fick is going to be selective with what job he ultimately leaves for.

GT stated on his site that Fick talked to Jadon Thompson yesterday before he committed and after the rumors started swirling. Can't see a kid like that coming to UC if the head coach isn't all in as well.

To go even further .. Freeman turned down Vrabel and the Titans LB coach offer. Can't see him doing that if he knows Fick is leaving too.

Fair points on your end as well. I just really think it comes down to how much does money talk for him. Sparty is in a bad spot, so he can demand a lot. Sparty best not low-ball him and Amy, they literally have to make him an offer he can’t refuse to get him. I’d give them a 35% chance of getting him, unless they simply write a blank check.

If they end up being frugal they’ll end up with Narduzzi or Babers.

Fair points on your end as well. I just really think it comes down to how much does money talk for him. Sparty is in a bad spot, so he can demand a lot. Sparty best not low-ball him and Amy, they literally have to make him an offer he can’t refuse to get him. I’d give them a 35% chance of getting him, unless they simply write a blank check.

If they end up being frugal they’ll end up with Narduzzi or Babers.

I've never gotten the impression Fick is driven by money, but like you said, Michigan State is desperate so hard telling what they'll offer to try to get him.

The good thing is, new AD John Cunningham has had multiple conversations with Fick over the past few months in different atmospheres and settings regarding a contract extension so he already has a good idea of what commitments it's going to take to keep Fick at UC.

I've never gotten the impression Fick is driven by money, but like you said, Michigan State is desperate so hard telling what they'll offer to try to get him.

The good thing is, new AD John Cunningham has had multiple conversations with Fick over the past few months in different atmospheres and settings regarding a contract extension so he already has a good idea of what commitments it's going to take to keep Fick at UC.

It’s so late in the game I wonder if it’s Fickell or bust. I could see them giving Mike Tressel the interim tag for 2020.

If he does leave, Marcus Freeman would have it locked up for the foreseeable future. I think he’s essentially the coach in waiting.

Another one... 3* CB De'Arre McDonald has committed to UC .... Fick and his staff with another big time get. With a composite rating of .8795, he is the 4th highest rated commit in this class. De-committed from Ole Miss in December and signed with UC today.

De'Arre McDonald, Oakland, Cornerback

Bearcats move up to #42 in the national rankings... One spot ahead of Michigan State.

I know you follow college football closely. I would like to hear your thoughts in the Michigan St. Dantonio thread about how bad it is looking at Michigan St. It sounds like there are some potentially very serious NCAA issues. Here is the link to thread I am talking about you commenting in:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/college-football/mark-dantonio-out-386924.html