Troy Smith...and the Heisman...

RockPride

Imo what this thread boils down to is some "wanna be" in Tulsa wanting to make some kind of name for himself to sell papers or magazines.:rolleyes: Who is this clown anyway? He is just wanting to make a name for himself and well, he has and that name is......Idiot (for lack of a more accurate term that is not allowed on bgp):D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

RP, I find it mildly ironic that you posted this on here. Troy Smith made a mistake and took $500. We get that. I don't think anyone said the winner of the Heisman Trophy has to be able to walk across the Hudson River to accept it. Let's keep things in perspective.

However, when JJ Redick was at Duke and his "mistakes" came up, you said people were being harsh and unfair. In some circles, JJ's "mistakes" would be viewed more harshly than a kid accepting $500.

Just food for thought.

Troy Smith will win the Heisman and should win the Heisman.

JJ's "mistakes" came post award reception.

Doesn't make it right. If the NCAA is ok with him winning the Heisman, this guy should be too. Do you think all the past Heisman winners have had a clean record, even before winning?

Peter Warrick dropped to 6th because he received a pair of shoes for free in 1999...and he was clearly the best that season.

JJ's "mistakes" came post award reception.

I wasn't just talking about the DUI RP. I was thinking of an issue about 3 years earlier, when he most assuredly was still at Duke.

Again, don't misunderstand my point, I don't think either issue should prevent a young man from winning an award he earned on the field. JJ appears to be a fine young man, as does, by all outside appearances, Troy Smith. I'm simply saying JJ is a perfect example of how a minor mistake early in college should be forgotten when the person shows over time what their true character is all about.

Just saying he must have some credentials since he has a vote for the Heisman

I understand what you're saying. What I'm saying is, why does this guy think he's bigger than the NCAA? If the NCAA had a problem with it, then they should say, "you can play, you just can't win any awards." That's not what they said. So I don't see why this guy has such a problem with it.

I think a point being missed here is that Troy Smith broke the big rule by taking money from a booster. This wasn't a family friend he'd known for years, this was a straight-up cash payment for a football player. It does in my opinion tarnish everything he'll ever do on the amatuer level.

Would I still vote for him? Yeah, if for no other reason than I would rather he win than than Brady Quinn. But I can't argue with holding a vote out over it.

As for the JJ Redick comment, I don't think its comparable. Like I said, Smith broke the biggest rule on the books, and not by accident. What Redick did was stupid and wrong, but it has nothing to do with his amatuer status, which was already exhausted when he was arrested.

As for the JJ Redick comment, I don't think its comparable. Like I said, Smith broke the biggest rule on the books, and not by accident. What Redick did was stupid and wrong, but it has nothing to do with his amatuer status, which was already exhausted when he was arrested.

Just to be fair, I believe point shaving / game fixing is the "biggest rule on the books."

I understand what you're saying. What I'm saying is, why does this guy think he's bigger than the NCAA? If the NCAA had a problem with it, then they should say, "you can play, you just can't win any awards." That's not what they said. So I don't see why this guy has such a problem with it.

I agree 100%. And to bring this up at this stage in his career is an absolute joke.

I agree 100%. And to bring this up at this stage in his career is an absolute joke.

I don't think its a joke. First, as pointed out earlier, there are several instances of this type of thing happening and it affecting the Heisman race. Second, its not like this is a new thing for the people at Ohio State University. It's a valid point. All that being said, I don't know of anyone who deserves the Heisman more than Troy Smith, and I think he'll get it. That's why more than just a guy from Tulsa vote on the thing! :thumb: