April 18, 20197 yr How will UK ever replace the 2 pts. per game that he averaged? I'd prefer he stay so that we had more experience towards the end of his collegiate career, but I think his value is overstated quite a bit.
April 18, 20197 yr Grad transfers are becoming the new one-and-dones. The media with flip upside down if Cal has 2-3 grad transfers, plus some young studs, and wins the championship. Please let that happen.
April 18, 20197 yr Just don’t understand all the hand wringing I’ve seen about him leaving. For me, it's not so much about Baker leaving, but that he's yet another player who left UK and could have been a valuable multi-year contributor. Charles Matthews, Kyle Wiltjer, Marcus Lee, Quade Green, Sacha Killeya-Jones, Stacey Poole, Darnell Dodson, Ryan Harrow. I'm glad some of those guys left, but others could have been helpful bench players throughout the years. I feel like Baker could have been a steady presence off the UK bench for three more years.
April 18, 20197 yr I wish he would have stayed. He honestly reminded me a lit of a Gerald Fitch type. Expect Baker had a lot more talent around him to have to compete against. I think if Baker stayed he would be one of the best players on the team like Fitch became. I'm not sure he could ever reach the level of Fitch, but I do think their games are certainly similar. He's a good guy to have around when an opposing guard is killing you and you need him for defensive purposes. I wish him well wherever he goes.
April 18, 20197 yr UK under Cal is designed for mostly 1 and done’s, with the occasional Kentucky born kid who wants all the benefits of playing at UK for 4 years. Coach K has been taking most of the elites so Cal gets a few really good players who stick around for 2 years sometimes, along with the really good players who go for the money after 1 year as well. Then there’s Baker, someone who’s not a 1 and done, not even a 2 and done, not a KY kid who wants the long term benefits of being a Cat. He’s a hedge player for Cal’s misses, except unlike grad transfers, he’s got more than 1 year of eligibility, with better players coming in each year, (paragraphs one and two.). Good luck Mr. Baker, we wish you well.
April 18, 20197 yr I'm not sure he could ever reach the level of Fitch, but I do think their games are certainly similar. He's a good guy to have around when an opposing guard is killing you and you need him for defensive purposes. I wish him well wherever he goes. Fitch was one of my all time favorite players. So I doubt he ever gets to that level either, but as you said they are similar. I truly believe some people have truly forgot that players do get better over time. What they are their freshman season, is not what they are later on. Fitch his freshman year played because of rebounding and defense. He wasn't known for his scoring or shooting at all. By his senior season he was their best player, best scorer, and shooter. He was a big reason why they were the number one overall seed for two years in a row. Yet if he played on this years UK team, he would have only gotten similar minutes to what Baker just received. Which someone could have then said about him the same thing they just said about Baker. How hard is it to replace 2 points per game. People around here have been so spoiled with freshman who come in at an elite level right away. That they have forgotten that players do get better, so people are quick to write players off if they are not elite right away.
April 18, 20197 yr I hate that these kids don’t stay and grow anymore. They either go the NBA route or transfer. I’m not sure how you break out of that cycle. This isn’t a criticism of Cal or the kids... Just the cycle.
April 18, 20197 yr I hate that these kids don’t stay and grow anymore. They either go the NBA route or transfer. I’m not sure how you break out of that cycle. This isn’t a criticism of Cal or the kids... Just the cycle. When the rule changes on early entry.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.