Prestonsburg at Belfry (2A-D8 Championship)

oneijoe

Reminds me of 2004, with a lineman and a playmaker down for Pburg. That year it was Carr and Lafferty(i think) hurt and it made a difference. If this game is anywhere near as entertaining for the fans as that game was, we will be in for a treat.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard through the grapevine today that Pburg RB Lincoln Slone is questionable for Friday due to an injured hip suffered in the final moments of last week's game.

Also heard the Pburg Center is doubtful due to breaking his hand.

Normally, I don't like talking about injuries, but I don't want disinformation to get seeded in this thread...

A P-burg lineman (won't disclosure the name) has a broken metacarpal of his hand that will require surgery. It's still up in the air whether it'll be done this or next week. If it's next week and the hand can be protected effectively (enough to keep it from getting jarred and the pain down to a reasonable level), it's possible to play pending the doctor's/parent's decision.

About Slone... I really don't know...what I've heard from different sources is in conflict.

I feel badly for these two young men. Both are seniors and have played important roles this season for the Blackcats.

Normally, I don't like talking about injuries, but I don't want disinformation to get seeded in this thread...

A P-burg lineman (won't disclosure the name) has a broken metacarpal of his hand that will require surgery. It's still up in the air whether it'll be done this or next week. If it's next week and the hand can be protected effectively (enough to keep it from getting jarred and the pain down to a reasonable level), it's possible to play pending the doctor's/parent's decision.

About Slone... I really don't know...what I've heard from different sources is in conflict. :eek:

I feel badly for these two young men. Both are seniors and have played important roles this season for the Blackcats.

I am in the same boat as you oneijoe. My information is second hand from someone who is close to the Pburg program but not directly associated with either kid. I certainly hope that not only both can play this Friday, but that both will be able to play up to their full capabilities.

Since both are Seniors I am sure they are dying to be on the field no matter what degree their injury is.

Reminds me of 2004, with a lineman and a playmaker down for Pburg. That year it was Carr and Lafferty(i think) hurt and it made a difference. If this game is anywhere near as entertaining for the fans as that game was, we will be in for a treat.

Yep...

Carr (FB on O, MLB on D) had a cracked spleen from the week before. Lafferty (Sr. lineman) badly sprained his ankle during the 1st quarter at Belfry. Those two injuries destroyed P-burg's ability to run inside on offense. Carr's loss also forced Prestonsburg to switch player positions on defense, costing outside speed - it hurt vs. Jones.

This week, I'm sort of at a loss in breaking down the game.

With the runaway of the first game, I'm not sure Belfry needs to do anything different on either side of the ball. It's simply gonna be a matter of the Pirates executing it as well. If they do, I doubt P-burg can stay close.

Though it's pretty basic stuff, the things Prestonsburg need to do to compete in this one:

1. NO dropped passes. Catch and tuck first, THEN run.

2. Weakside DE and LB must NOT over-commit to the FB dive (that's the DT's and MLB's job, anyway).

3. Safety must never be beaten deep (on Cover 3).

4. Stay in the proper pass rushing lanes and spy the RB's (screens/draws).

5. Keep proper blocking position. It's more important to impede tacklers with your body than pushing them back.

IMO, the single most important factor that will determine the outcome of the game is...Prestonsburg's running game. If the game vs. Sheldon Clark is a real indicator of how well the Blackcats can power the ball, Prestonsburg has a shot. (And...I still can't bring myself to think the game will turn on Belfry's ability to throw)

Note - Injuries are a part of the game, therefore, they are NOT factored into this breakdown)

Prediction:

(Prestonsburg with

Belfry 28

Prestonsburg 10

(Prestonsburg with > 250 yds. rushing)

Belfry 21

Prestonsburg 28

Overall - Belfry by 11

:bunny:

I am very tempted to pick Prestonsburg in this game. Why? I am not sure. There is just a feeling that I have that the Blackcats may pull this one out. However, I still believe that Belfry is the better team and will. But it will not be easy.

Belfry 21

P-Burg 17

I think this game will be a lot closer than the first game between these 2 teams...I hope Belfry can limit their turnovers to none and maybe force Prestonsburg to cough it up a few times,and I also hope Belfry does better on their special teams play tonight..I am hoping they have improved on tackling especially on the kick off returns to the opposing team...

Belfry....28

P-Burg...16

Is anyone doing updates on this game???

I would appreciate anyone sending me score as PM or post on the Middlesboro Leslie CO Game update.

Here in town we have a great interest in this game.

If anyone does get updates on the Belfry game, please start a new update thread for the game. This will make it easier for everyone to find the update - Thanks!

And thanks kkmama for always doing such a good job of keeping us posted! :thumb: