Prestonsburg at Belfry (2A-D8 Championship)

oneijoe

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Belfry plays good run defense on 1st down and forces Prestonsburg into passing situations. Once Pburg is forced to pass, look for Belfry to be in good shape. Hughs hasn't been very accurate this season and it would take a breakout game from him for the Blackcats to win IMO.

I really look for P-burg to play a more of a straight 52 defense than the continued "10 in the box" they've played in the past. IMO, that's the only way they can defend the outside....because P-burg cannot give up the corner edge against Belfry's backs. This game will come down to how P-burg can defend. B-burg's size vs. Belfry's speed.

Belfry on the hand...must tighten up in the secondary. P-burg had some open looks in the first contest which resulted in dropped passes. A play or two here or there and it's a different ball game.

I still think Belfry has to be the favorite.....but this game will have a different flavor than the first contest.

Couple of questions to stew on:

1. How does Haywood combat possible overconfidence by the Pirates

2. How does Derossett keep his kids in it mentally, after the pasting 5 weeks ago, and the domination Belfry has witnessed over the past few years?

Hughs hasn't been very accurate this season and it would take a breakout game from him for the Blackcats to win IMO.

Actually, it's more the way orisonspi described the Belfry passing game. The throws have been there, but the receivers have been inconsistant. It was unusual because Hughes has an accurate arm and throws a very catchable ball (typically, the dropped ball "syndrome" happens to receivers catching bullets from cannon-armed QB's).

Fortunately, this seems to be less an issue lately. I've seen a number of good catches late in the season with a lot fewer drops.

I really look for P-burg to play a more of a straight 52 defense than the continued "10 in the box" they've played in the past. IMO, that's the only way they can defend the outside....because P-burg cannot give up the corner edge against Belfry's backs. This game will come down to how P-burg can defend. B-burg's size vs. Belfry's speed.

You may have something there... :sssh:

Coach D. began using that crowded gap scheme against Belfry during the '02 Playoffs when Belfry ran a LOT of power formation wishbone. He's kinda stuck with it through the years, because it had been fairly effective vs. a pass-less (like that term? LOL...) Pirate offense in '03 and '04.

:bunny:

It Pburg plays good base D, they will do better.

I have been advocating this approach for a few years now! Pburg needs to play solid, make tackles and hope they can get Belfry in 3rd and 5 or longer OR hope that Belfry fumbles or has a drive killing penalty before they can finish a drive.

Belfry on the other hand, needs to protect the football, play penalty free ball and methodically grind Prestonsburg into the turf.

I HATE HATE HATE that this series comes to an end. IMO, this matchup might brings out the best of far EKY/Mountain football and really excites these two communities.

I wonder if we will get to see anymore of the wishbone that featured Lee at FB, May at HB, and your choice of Epling/Chapman at the other HB any the rest of the playoffs. That's alot of power coming at you!

I like it as a change of pace, because it makes the offense an entirely different entity to have to scheme for. Now, instead of just having to worry about the normal misdirection, you also have to factor in two monsters coming at you.

Heard through the grapevine today that Pburg RB Lincoln Slone is questionable for Friday due to an injured hip suffered in the final moments of last week's game.

Also heard the Pburg Center is doubtful due to breaking his hand.