Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

GRC @ Lincoln (RD. 2)(rematch)

Featured Replies

Thanks for the stats MR. Network.......WHIR 1230 AM said the game will be broadcast live on "hometownlive.net"

  • Replies 85
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the stats MR. Network.......WHIR 1230 AM said the game will be broadcast live on "hometownlive.net"

 

 

Not surprised by that. It will probably be Mike Carter since Garrard County is done.

 

If Boyle loses and Lincoln wins, I bet LC will be on 105.1 next week.

Where do you get your stats Mr. Network just out of curiosity.

I think this will be a great game. I have to give Lincoln a very slight edge as they are at home and defense wins championships and Lincoln's defense may be just a little bit better IMHO.

 

LC 27

GRC 21

Where do you get your stats Mr. Network just out of curiosity.

 

 

I wouldn't call them stats....they are just records, really. Lincoln County's records I have been compiling for the last 25+ years and GRC's I looked up at http://www.khsaa.org and took some info from a recent Football Finals game program.

Not surprised by that. It will probably be Mike Carter since Garrard County is done.

 

If Boyle loses and Lincoln wins, I bet LC will be on 105.1 next week.

 

All season long, the Garrard games were broadcast on the Internet, and then they would replay the broadcast after the Boyle County game (usually approximately 10:15pm). I haven't heard, but I assume they'll do the same this week for Lincoln.

All season long, the Garrard games were broadcast on the Internet, and then they would replay the broadcast after the Boyle County game (usually approximately 10:15pm). I haven't heard, but I assume they'll do the same this week for Lincoln.

 

 

It would be great if they did......some people can`t make it to the game for whatever reason.

It would be great if they did......some people can`t make it to the game for whatever reason.

 

I wish there was a way to get Lincoln back on a regular radio station. I know some efforts were made and there just aren't options, but a lot of folks love football but can travel. That gave them another option. I can't see it happening, though.

I wish there was a way to get Lincoln back on a regular radio station. I know some efforts were made and there just aren't options, but a lot of folks love football but can travel. That gave them another option. I can't see it happening, though.

 

Trust me when I tell you that if it were possible, they would be on. I almost made a stupid business move just to keep them on the radio.

 

Things have changed considerably in the radio industry...enjoy local football coverage while you have it because there is no guarantee that it will remain economically feasible to broadcast the games.

Trust me when I tell you that if it were possible, they would be on. I almost made a stupid business move just to keep them on the radio.

 

Things have changed considerably in the radio industry...enjoy local football coverage while you have it because there is no guarantee that it will remain economically feasible to broadcast the games.

 

I'm sure of that! And I remember some efforts by those in and out of the Lincoln County community to try and keep WRSL on and broadcasting games. I know it would be a struggle and because of that, sports enthusiasm will likely suffer. That's unfortunate.

I'm sure of that! And I remember some efforts by those in and out of the Lincoln County community to try and keep WRSL on and broadcasting games. I know it would be a struggle and because of that, sports enthusiasm will likely suffer. That's unfortunate.

 

 

The FM station, which brought live coverage of local sports to the air in 1967 (for Lincoln County schools as well as Garrard County schools) is still on and I still own it but it the air-time is 100% leased to a national network. The AM station, which I also still own but is a daytime-only operation, is being moved to a different part of the state.

 

I am not really sure what your next-to-last sentence means.

I am not really sure what your next-to-last sentence means.

 

I just meant that I know it would be a struggle to keep these local radio stations on without linking them to a national network and because of that, some fans who relied on those broadcasts might lose interest in the sport, particularly elderly folks who can't travel as well.

This thread is officially "thread-jacked" in 5, 4, 3, 2 1.....

 

Coverage of high school sports will not cease but that coverage may not be delivered by commercial broadcast stations. I think ALL teams (where there is interest) will eventually be covered by webcasting.

 

I am doing a webcast here in Illinois for a suburban Chicago school. With the help of two students, we produce the entire show from the stadium. That includes the play-by-play, pregame and postgame coverage and the insertion of commercials and other drop-ins. With the same laptop that I use to originate the streaming, we can also browse email messages that we receive from our listeners. This past week, we had emails from as far away as Phoenix, Arizona; New Orleans, Louisiana; and Atlanta, Georgia.

 

With technology, program origination and audio streaming is easier than ever.

 

Prior to 1967, we only had the daytime station in Stanford so we would tape-delay the games for replay on Saturday [i am using "we" in the royal sense here since I was but a wee lad at that time]. One such event was a football game between Stanford and Springfield. My dad and his partner sat in the car, next to the sidelines because it was raining outside. They were recording the game on an old Wollensak reel-to-reel machine. They couldn't see much of the game so they would stop the tape machine, roll down the window and ask somebody what happened. They would then turn the tape machine back on and describe the play that they didn't see.

 

I also recall a story that my dad told me about a basketball game broadcast when he worked a short stint at WFTM in Maysville in 1961. My dad had sold a radio station and was looking for something to do so he moved my mom and three older brothers to Maysville for a few months. While there, he was working a board shift during a basketball game. The announcers were out of range of the station and could not hear the station or their cues or anything else but themselves at the game. They timed out their commercial breaks and all went well until their phone line (non-dialup-loop line) came loose from their equipment. They didn't know they were off the air and there was no apparent way of telling them. Remember, there were no cellphones, email or text messaging in 1961. Thinking quickly, my dad called the police department of the town where the game was being played, knowing that there would be an officer at the game and that he most likely would have a portable radio. The dispatcher was more than happy to radio his officer who walked over to the radio team and told them to check their wiring. I thought about this story last weekend when I was calling a ballgame in Chicago, getting instanteous emails from all over the country and also getting cellphone text messages from my brother in Kentucky who was checking Illinois websites to give me updates of scores from other games.

 

Today, I can broadcast from anywhere that my Verizon Broadband connection is available (and other places if I have a dial up phone or other way to connect to the internet) and the quality is always the same. There is never the tinny, low-quality phone sound for away games that one so often hears on local radio stations.

 

Audio streaming is in its infancy and the potential is unlimited. I forsee a day when internet steaming is commonplace and the preferred method of broadcast delivery.

 

 

 

......now back to regular programming.

Thanks, Mr. Network! Looks like there is hope for this thread after all!

The more I think about this game, the better I think GRC can matchup with Lincoln. But I also think Lincoln is on a high right now that just cannot be stopped...until next week anyway. I like Lincoln 21-14.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.