Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Suicide

Featured Replies

There were 2 surprising celebrity suicides this week, Kate Spade & Anthony Bourdain.

 

In response I’ve seen a lot of suicide related posts on social media. In fact one of my Facebook friends just posted that she has a network of support to help with her mental illnesses, but she still thinks about suicide daily and sometimes feels life isn’t worth the cost.

 

I just read that the US suicide rate has increased 25% since 1999; and 45,000 in the U.S. died by suicide in 2016.

 

I’ve seen posts by BGP members who have lost loved ones.

 

It’s heart-wrenching.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this will raise awareness. The stigma needs to go away, and insurance companies needs to do a better job paying for mental health.

Hopefully this will raise awareness. The stigma needs to go away, and insurance companies needs to do a better job paying for mental health.

 

While I agree wholeheartedly with what you said, I think unfortunately the majority of people that actually commit suicide never look for help to begin with...which is a shame.

While I agree wholeheartedly with what you said, I think unfortunately the majority of people that actually commit suicide never look for help to begin with...which is a shame.

 

Perhaps they might if there was no stigma attached to mental illness.

Depression and alcoholism, two very misunderstood diseases. The stigma attached is real and unfortunate.

Depression and alcoholism, two very misunderstood diseases. The stigma attached is real and unfortunate.
I would switch that to say depression any addiction in general. But yes they are only understood by those who have lived through them.

The Anthony Bourdain news really hit me hard this morning. If there was a cooler person in the world than Anthony Bourdain I have yet to see them. The way he carried himself, the passion for which he took his profession, the wisdom he inspired upon millions of people around the will be greatly missed. The way he viewed food and the way he viewed the idea of a “meal” was truly unique and something I believe all of us should learn from.

Something good for all of us to spread.

 

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255 -

Available 24 hours everyday.

 

National Suicide Text Hotline - Text 741741 - Crisis Text Line provides free

24/7 support for those in crisis.

Does memorializing these celebrities thats do this like the media does help the situation?

 

On one hand it maybe raises awareness, but on the other it makes it seem like an ok thing to do.

Does memorializing these celebrities thats do this like the media does help the situation?

 

On one hand it maybe raises awareness, but on the other it makes it seem like an ok thing to do.

 

I get what you're saying to a degree and again responsibility should come into play here. I guess I'd need to know what exactly you mean by the media memorializing these celebrities and how you think it's causing people to think it's okay. I admit, I have only seen one brief report on Anthony Bourdain and it didn't give much details. I do think it's important to spread awareness, I recently read suicide rates are up 30 percent since 1999.

Even if it feels awkward or corny at times, what a world of difference it can make to let those in our lives who we love and care about know that we do.

 

Honestly everyone needs to feel like someone is this world gives a damn about them. We can feel unconditional love from our parents for example, but after they leave this earth it's so important that the void of their love and concern is fulfilled by someone be it a close friend, or one's life mate.

 

Lonliness and isolation is so psychologically draining, and can cause terrible depression, and once someone is in this state of mind it can feel like nothing will ever make things better.

 

Even when navigating around in our everyday lives, the small effort of a pleasant smile and a hello to a perfect stranger in passing just might in some small way be what it took to uplift someone who is suffering. Sure, not everyone can be reached all the time, and not everyone is always receptive to the positive energy, but nothing is so wonderful than just to see someone else's eyes light up as a result of such a small effortless gesture.

 

Happiness is catchy, and so easy to spread, and so is the dreadful opposite, so normalizing, spreading, and sharing joy every chance we get is a crucial remedy for sadness and negativity. We all have our bad days where we just don't feel like we can put forth the positive energy, but then it just might be someone else's to help us snap out of it.

 

We all need one another, and while it might feel that all by ourselves we can have very little effect on the world and others, the truth is that we do, and if we stay diligent and make it a habit to be the joy to others that we can only hope that they are to us, and even if hardships and sadness come around, the power of love will win, and in small and big ways will make a world of difference.

The link below is what I was referring to in an earlier post about the suicide rate increasing nationally by 30 percent. It provides some statistics and observations the CDC researchers wrote in their report.

 

Suicide rates are up 30 percent since 1999, CDC says

 

Some alarming and also helpful information:

 

"Middle-aged adults had the largest number of suicides and a particularly high increase in suicide rates. These findings are disturbing". But the CDC team found almost no group is exempt from the rise in suicide rates, except people over age 75.

 

“More than half of all the individuals who committed suicide had no mental health diagnoses.” That may be in part because it’s so difficult to get mental health care.

 

The CDC team dug into more details in 27 states. When details were available on what may have been factors in suicides, the CDC team found:

 

42 percent had a relationship problem

28 percent had substance abuse issues

16 percent had job or financial problems

29 percent had some kind of crisis

22 percent had a physical health issue

9 percent had a criminal legal problem

The CDC had policy advice for ways to help.

 

States can help ease unemployment and housing stress by providing temporary help.

Health care systems can offer treatment options by phone or online where services are not widely available.

Communities can offer programs and events to increase a sense of belonging among residents.

Schools can teach students skills to manage challenges like relationship and school problems.

Does memorializing these celebrities thats do this like the media does help the situation?

 

On one hand it maybe raises awareness, but on the other it makes it seem like an ok thing to do.

How does this possibly make it seem like a good thing to do? It raises awareness because it brings to light that depression can affect ANYONE and no one would ever know.
I get what you're saying to a degree and again responsibility should come into play here. I guess I'd need to know what exactly you mean by the media memorializing these celebrities and how you think it's causing people to think it's okay. I admit, I have only seen one brief report on Anthony Bourdain and it didn't give much details. I do think it's important to spread awareness, I recently read suicide rates are up 30 percent since 1999.

 

Not to sound harsh, but they havent stopped talking about the spade chick and the food guy for since it happend. Its been non stop.

 

Its no different than all the hype they give these school shooters. Its almost like the media is baiting the hook for the next person to do it.

 

Suicides up, media coverage on them is up, coincidence? I think not.

 

We live in a monkey see, monkey do world now.

How does this possibly make it seem like a good thing to do? It raises awareness because it brings to light that depression can affect ANYONE and no one would ever know.

 

It increases the thought mentality of, well look what they did, I can do that too.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.