Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Suicide

Featured Replies

How does this possibly make it seem like a good thing to do? It raises awareness because it brings to light that depression can affect ANYONE and no one would ever know.

Exactly. :thumb:

  • Replies 47
  • Views 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to sound harsh, but they havent stopped talking about the spade chick and the food guy for since it happend. Its been non stop.

 

Its no different than all the hype they give these school shooters. Its almost like the media is baiting the hook for the next person to do it.

 

Suicides up, media coverage on them is up, coincidence? I think not.

 

We live in a monkey see, monkey do world now.

 

I don't see it as the same. I don't think they constantly go into detail as to how they did it do they? I also don't see any narrative being pushed in it, awareness is a good thing with depression and suicide.

Every time I see where a celebrity has committed suicide, I can't help it. The first thing I think of is that money and fame can't buy you happiness, love, or health.

To paraphrase something I saw recently - EVERYONE fights their private battles.

Something good for all of us to spread.

 

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255 -

Available 24 hours everyday.

 

National Suicide Text Hotline - Text 741741 - Crisis Text Line provides free

24/7 support for those in crisis.

 

Does memorializing these celebrities thats do this like the media does help the situation?

 

On one hand it maybe raises awareness, but on the other it makes it seem like an ok thing to do.

 

Not to sound harsh, but they havent stopped talking about the spade chick and the food guy for since it happend. Its been non stop.

 

Its no different than all the hype they give these school shooters. Its almost like the media is baiting the hook for the next person to do it.

 

Suicides up, media coverage on them is up, coincidence? I think not.

 

We live in a monkey see, monkey do world now.

 

Famous people get big, drawn-out obits in the national media. That's been the case forever, so suggesting that is spurring more people to off themselves seems off to me. Especially since the suicide rise has come in the past 20 years. Kurt Cobain offed hisself almost 25 years ago. Was there a spike in "copycats" then?

 

And every single article I read online about a celebrity suicide always contains a disclaimer-type thing at the bottom that posts the contact info for the suicide prevention hotlines. So, again, I'm going to say that's a lame blame game.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.