Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Texting While Driving

Featured Replies

I get what you're saying but then again, there have been a ton of commercials showing the consequences and urging people not to text and drive. It gets much more up front exposure, just not much when the inevitable accidents happen.

 

Most people ignore commercials though, I know I do. I applaud the effort though. Anything to bring attention because way too many people of all ages are a real problem.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

 

As far as the GPS, I prefer the old days when people were attempting to read a paper map as they drove down the road. ;)

:lol2:

Thank God we didn't have the number of people reading a map that we do text! A lot of us might not be here.

I think that's a great idea. I have a friend that does this. When I text her and she is driving, I get an auto response that lets me know that she is driving and will get back with me when it is safe.

 

However, there are other phone distractions. There are tons of apps that can also distract drivers. I'd say that we should disable all but GPS driving apps.

 

Absolutely! I can get on board with all of that!

  • Author
Absolutely! I can get on board with all of that!

What are the penalties for distracted driving? My guess is that they are not severe enough. I'd be curious as to how many citations are given for this, too.

What are the penalties for distracted driving? My guess is that they are not severe enough. I'd be curious as to how many citations are given for this, too.

Kentucky is one of the states with the mildest penalties for distracted driving.

The minimum fine for distracted driving is $25 plus surcharge fees.

 

Kentucky Distracted Driving Laws

At least with texting, I have SOME control over that by not doing it myself and not riding with those that do. That's plantman' personal responsibility. I have less control over being a victim of a mass shooting in a school, concert venue, night club, movie theatre, church, etc.

 

You dont have control over other people doing it and I would argue you are much more likely to be a victim of texting and driving than a mass shooting.

The driving mode auto response is pretty standard on most Android phones, but it is optional and not activated by default when the bluetooth device is first paired with the phone. It needs to be mandatory in a vehicle. I'm not that familiar with iPhones in that regard.

 

As far as the GPS, I prefer the old days when people were attempting to read a paper map as they drove down the road. ;)

 

It is standard on iPhones as well and it is also optional. It can’t ever be mandatory in a vehicle because when you are a passenger in a vehicle it would still disable your phone.

To be honest not really. Texting and driving is no worse than the other 1000 plus distractions while driving. Radio, eating, drinking, passengers in the car, kids in the car, our own mental thoughts while driving, other cars on the road. Its just the new vice to go after.

 

I kind of disagree plantmanky. I have watched kids literally never put the phone down(texting) even eating a dinner. Phone texting is the new cigarette and these kids are absolutely addicted to it. JMO.

  • Author
You dont have control over other people doing it and I would argue you are much more likely to be a victim of texting and driving than a mass shooting.

You are probably right on all of those accounts. And?

  • Author
I kind of disagree plantmanky. I have watched kids literally never put the phone down(texting) even eating a dinner. Phone texting is the new cigarette and these kids are absolutely addicted to it. JMO.

Just kids? Like RTS, I see adults doing this while driving all of the time.

You are probably right on all of those accounts. And?

 

I thought this was a place for discussion...

 

My point is you have almost no control over being a victim of texting and driving. You can watch your surroundings and try to be prepared to act. Same with mass shootings. Learn to defend yourself, think of ways to escape in case it happens, etc.

Do tell. You think texting while driving isn't an issue and a serious one at that?

 

I don’t think texting and driving is even remotely similar to school shootings. Which is quite obvious.

I don’t think texting and driving is even remotely similar to school shootings. Which is quite obvious.

 

That's not what I asked. No one said they were similar, not sure how you even got that mixed up. I certainly never said that.

Those in school are far more likely to be a victim of someone texting and driving than they are to be a victim of a school shooting, which is more than obvious.

That's not what I asked. No one said they were similar, not sure how you even got that mixed up. I certainly never said that.

Those in school are far more likely to be a victim of someone texting and driving than they are to be a victim of a school shooting, which is more than obvious.

 

They are both issues.

 

They are very different issues.

 

Trying to discuss them together is simply an attempt to downplay one of them.

They are both issues.

 

They are very different issues.

 

Trying to discuss them together is simply an attempt to downplay one of them.

 

No it's not. Both are serious issues that need to be addressed. One kills more than the other, but doesn't get the attention it should. We all know the reason why. You can deflect all you want, you can spin all you want. Texting and driving is a scenario that you are more likely to die from than a mass shooting. You have no stats to support otherwise. The proof is there in black in and white.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.