May 13, 20188 yr To be honest not really. Texting and driving is no worse than the other 1000 plus distractions while driving. Radio, eating, drinking, passengers in the car, kids in the car, our own mental thoughts while driving, other cars on the road. Its just the new vice to go after. The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving. 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
May 13, 20188 yr The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving. 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving. Ok and.......distracted driving is distracted driving. Again, personal responsibility.
May 13, 20188 yr Ok and.......distracted driving is distracted driving. Again, personal responsibility. Yes, distracted driving is distracted driving, but texting while driving has greatly added to the risk of being injured or killed while driving. Again, a much greater risk than being killed in a school shooting. My point is one act is getting more attention while the other is a bigger overall issue in number of deaths and injuries. Neither should be dismissed or taken less seriously, yet one is.
May 13, 20188 yr Author Yes, distracted driving is distracted driving, but texting while driving has greatly added to the risk of being injured or killed while driving. Again, a much greater risk than being killed in a school shooting. My point is one act is getting more attention while the other is a bigger overall issue in number of deaths and injuries. Neither should be dismissed or taken less seriously, yet one is. At least with texting, I have SOME control over that by not doing it myself and not riding with those that do. That's plantman' personal responsibility. I have less control over being a victim of a mass shooting in a school, concert venue, night club, movie theatre, church, etc.
May 13, 20188 yr At least with texting, I have SOME control over that by not doing it myself and not riding with those that do. That's plantman' personal responsibility. I have less control over being a victim of a mass shooting in a school, concert venue, night club, movie theatre, church, etc. You hit the nail on the head. However, according to the anti-gun control people if we arm teachers and do away with gun free zones then there won’t be anymore mass shootings.
May 13, 20188 yr At least with texting, I have SOME control over that by not doing it myself and not riding with those that do. That's plantman' personal responsibility. I have less control over being a victim of a mass shooting in a school, concert venue, night club, movie theatre, church, etc. Yes, but you have no control over someone else doing it and running into you. Much like being a a victim of a mass shooting in a school, concert venue, night club, movie theatre, church, etc.
May 13, 20188 yr Author Yes, but you have no control over someone else doing it and running into you. Much like being a a victim of a mass shooting in a school, concert venue, night club, movie theatre, church, etc. Which is why I said SOME control in my original post.
May 13, 20188 yr Which is why I said SOME control in my original post. I understand that, that's why I opened that post with yes. This whole thread began because I agreed with a post from TAC in another thread and pointed out how people have a greater chance at being killed from someone texting and driving or drug use than they do being killed in a school shooting and how one is politicized over the others. Those are just facts. The statistical likelihood of any given public school student being killed by a gun, in school, on any given day since 1999 up to and including the recent slaughter at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. was roughly 1 in 614,000,000. That's what I'm talking about. I think you're taking my points as something they're not intended to be.
May 13, 20188 yr Author I understand that, that's why I opened that post with yes. This whole thread began because I agreed with a post from TAC in another thread and pointed out how people have a greater chance at being killed from someone texting and driving or drug use than they do being killed in a school shooting and how one is politicized over the others. Those are just facts. The statistical likelihood of any given public school student being killed by a gun, in school, on any given day since 1999 up to and including the recent slaughter at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. was roughly 1 in 614,000,000. That's what I'm talking about. I think you're taking my points as something they're not intended to be. Discussion of politics is forbidden. Do do we want to talk about solutions for texting related accidents or just keep pointing out that fewer kids die in school shootings?
May 13, 20188 yr Discussion of politics is forbidden. Do do we want to talk about solutions for texting related accidents or just keep pointing out that fewer kids die in school shootings? Sorry, didn't mean to discuss politics. I just didn't know how else to say it. I haven't been able to talk about solutions, I was busy defending a comment. :lol2: We could start by disabling the ability to text or read texts while driving.
May 13, 20188 yr Is there anyone out there that doesn’t believe that distracted driving in any form is not a national problem? I don’t even think there are two sides. The companies who make cars and cell phones have campaigns against it and spend billions to curb these issues through innovation. They don’t deny the danger of their products. The acknowledgment and the attempts to solve the problem is the reason people aren’t in the streets over this issue. It’s not because they are not aware. IMO, this problem will decline rapidly in 10-15 years with autonomous vehicles.
May 13, 20188 yr Is there anyone out there that doesn’t believe that distracted driving in any form is not a national problem? I don’t even think there are two sides. The companies who make cars and cell phones have campaigns against it and spend billions to curb these issues through innovation. They don’t deny the danger of their products. The acknowledgment and the attempts to solve the problem is the reason people aren’t in the streets over this issue. It’s not because they are not aware. IMO, this problem will decline rapidly in 10-15 years with autonomous vehicles. There has been nothing with any teeth to curb this issue near enough. Just look around you on any given day while driving. I doubt we'll be full autonomous in 10 to 15 years, but that would stop it.
May 13, 20188 yr Author Sorry, didn't mean to discuss politics. I just didn't know how else to say it. I haven't been able to talk about solutions, I was busy defending a comment. :lol2: We could start by disabling the ability to text or read texts while driving. I think that's a great idea. I have a friend that does this. When I text her and she is driving, I get an auto response that lets me know that she is driving and will get back with me when it is safe. However, there are other phone distractions. There are tons of apps that can also distract drivers. I'd say that we should disable all but GPS driving apps.
May 13, 20188 yr I think that's a great idea. I have a friend that does this. When I text her and she is driving, I get an auto response that lets me know that she is driving and will get back with me when it is safe. However, there are other phone distractions. There are tons of apps that can also distract drivers. I'd say that we should disable all but GPS driving apps. The driving mode auto response is pretty standard on most Android phones, but it is optional and not activated by default when the bluetooth device is first paired with the phone. It needs to be mandatory in a vehicle. I'm not that familiar with iPhones in that regard. As far as the GPS, I prefer the old days when people were attempting to read a paper map as they drove down the road.
May 13, 20188 yr Yet, so many do dismiss texting while driving and attack guns and gun owners. You don't see walk outs in schools for TWD. You don't see protest marches either. Doesn't fit a certain narrative. I get what you're saying but then again, there have been a ton of commercials showing the consequences and urging people not to text and drive. It gets much more up front exposure, just not much when the inevitable accidents happen.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.