Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Texting While Driving

Featured Replies

Absolutely! Drugs in schools and teen texting while driving are much more prevalent and a much more likely scenario to be concerned about.
Not equivalent issues.

You can choose not to do drugs or text while driving. It's harder for kids to choose not to be shot in school.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not equivalent issues.

You can choose not to do drugs or text while driving. It's harder for kids to choose not to be shot in school.

 

What about the people the idiot texting kills? Where's their choice? This happens daily.

  • Author
What about the people the idiot texting kills? Where's their choice? This happens daily.

Sounds like we should be looking for solutions to all of these issues, not being dismissive of some.

Sounds like we should be looking for solutions to all of these issues, not being dismissive of some.

 

Yet, so many do dismiss texting while driving and attack guns and gun owners. You don't see walk outs in schools for TWD. You don't see protest marches either. Doesn't fit a certain narrative.

Not equivalent issues.

You can choose not to do drugs or text while driving. It's harder for kids to choose not to be shot in school.

 

What about the people the idiot texting kills? Where's their choice? This happens daily.

 

Sounds like we should be looking for solutions to all of these issues, not being dismissive of some.

 

Yet, so many do dismiss texting while driving and attack guns and gun owners. You don't see walk outs in schools for TWD. You don't see protest marches either. Doesn't fit a certain narrative.

 

In short, it all comes down to personal responsibility.

In short, it all comes down to personal responsibility.

 

I agree, however, texting while driving largely gets ignored in comparison to school school shootings. I agree, the thought of someone going into a school (or anywhere for that matter) and shooting innocent people is a terrifying thought as well as a terrifying reality. But do people realize the destruction that has been done from those that text and drive? I saw a guy Wednesday with a carload of people in it cutting off people as he drove, weaving back and forth. Had his phone out holding it up near his face the entire time from what I could see. Dude couldn't stay in his lane, people were doing everything they could to avoid him. I see this sort of thing almost daily. @True blue (and gold) said they're not equivalent issues, I don't think I agree with that statement, but I do understand her fear of a school shooter and the fact that it's happening all too often. It should never happen. But you should be able to drive home from work without the fear of some moron that can't tear themselves away from their cell phone long enough to drive a car killing you in the process.

 

Here are some stats I've recently read on texting while driving:

 

The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.

Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.

Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.

263 teens (age 15 to 19) were killed as a result of distracted driving in 2016.

In 2015, 3,477 people were killed and 391,000 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers.

 

You can read more here.

  • Author
Yet, so many do dismiss texting while driving and attack guns and gun owners. You don't see walk outs in schools for TWD. You don't see protest marches either. Doesn't fit a certain narrative.
Since we are no longer discussing opioids, I moved the texting while driving discussion here.

 

I have no no problem with different people focusing on more than one cause. The number one killer of Americans is heart disease but I don't see anyone having issues with some people supporting research to end cancer or diabetes. People die from those diseases, too. Why not work toward solutions to multiple problems?

Edited by True blue (and gold)

Since we are no longer discussing opioids, I moved the texting while driving discussion here.

 

I have no no problem with different people focusing on more than one cause. The number one killer of Americans is heart disease but I don't see anyone having issues with some people supporting research to end cancer or diabetes. People die from those diseases, too. Why not work toward solutions to multiple problems?

 

People that die from heart disease or cancer aren't killing innocent people because of misuse (a weak term, I agree) of something like cell phones or guns. That's where there is truly a line divided.

  • Author
People that die from heart disease or cancer aren't killing innocent people because of misuse (a weak term, I agree) of something like cell phones or guns. That's where there is truly a line divided.

I didn't say that they were and that is certainly not the point I was making. I said that it is fine to fight more than one battle. You say more students die from texting and that is where people should focus their efforts. More people die from heart disease than cancer, but it is certainly great to fight the cancer battle, too.

 

Opioids, texting and driving, guns violence, they are all worthy causes to seek solutions for. Choosing to fight the cause for one doesn't mean that you don't care about the others.

This is one of the more hilarious attempts at deflecting I’ve ever read.

I didn't say that they were and that is certainly not the point I was making. I said that it is fine to fight more than one battle. You say more students die from texting and that is where people should focus their efforts. More people die from heart disease than cancer, but it is certainly great to fight the cancer battle, too.

 

Opioids, texting and driving, guns violence, they are all worthy causes to seek solutions for. Choosing to fight the cause for one doesn't mean that you don't care about the others.

 

We agree on that but lets face it, too many don't want to focus on the root cause or causes where guns are concerned. It's become nothing but political.

This is one of the more hilarious attempts at deflecting I’ve ever read.

Do tell. You think texting while driving isn't an issue and a serious one at that?

I didn't say that they were and that is certainly not the point I was making. I said that it is fine to fight more than one battle. You say more students die from texting and that is where people should focus their efforts. More people die from heart disease than cancer, but it is certainly great to fight the cancer battle, too.

 

Opioids, texting and driving, guns violence, they are all worthy causes to seek solutions for. Choosing to fight the cause for one doesn't mean that you don't care about the others.

 

To be fair, I said drug use and texting while driving are much more prevalent and a much more likely scenario to be concerned about than being shot in school. I said nothing about only focusing efforts there or choosing to fight the cause for one doesn't mean that you don't care about the others. You made that assumption. I'm merely pointing out that the likeliness of being killed by someone texting while driving is much higher than the likeliness of being killed in a school shooting. Drug use is a far more likely cause as well. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for solutions to all of these issues. I never made any such claim.

Do tell. You think texting while driving isn't an issue and a serious one at that?

 

To be honest not really. Texting and driving is no worse than the other 1000 plus distractions while driving. Radio, eating, drinking, passengers in the car, kids in the car, our own mental thoughts while driving, other cars on the road. Its just the new vice to go after.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.