Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How many businesses are going to take advantage of 420 Day?

Featured Replies

Well I knew that, but it sure didn't come to mind. Thanks. On that note it sounds like maybe cotton farmers, and other textile producers would be against it as well.

 

 

Thankfully the most powerful cotton growers were taken care of in 1865.

  • Replies 92
  • Views 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thankfully the most powerful cotton growers were taken care of in 1865.

 

Do you have a problem with cotton farmers?

Do you have a problem with cotton farmers?

 

Lighten up, it was a joke about big business with a bit of Civil War thrown in there for fun.

 

Comments about Big Pharma making their way in, figure a reference to Ol' King Cotton was appropriate.

Do you have links to studies and research that back up it's as bad as cigarettes?

 

VOR I usually agree with a lot of your posts but you might want to do a little more research here... especially with the idea that it’s as bad for you as cigarettes.

 

I would love to hear more.

 

Most of what I have seen, read, etc. says Marijuana is way down the spectrum on negatives as compared to substances like opioids, alcohol, harder drugs, cigarettes/nicotine, etc.

 

Additionally, there are many many positives associated with Marijuana. Medicinal, Psychological, Medical, Sleep, ADHD, Weight Loss (yes loss), Nausea, PTSD, Headaches, Anxiety, and on and on.

 

Finally, and I am going to single you out @Voice of Reason , think beyond "smoking marijuana" and look at the benefits of edibles, oils, and other concentrates that have many positives with little or none of the negatives you have suggested.

 

I'm guessing that you're referring to the fact that cigarettes have filters and most homemade marijuana cigarettes do not. The difference is that the average cigarette smoker may smoke 10+ cigarettes a day, while the average pot smoker inhales far less frequently.

 

As @theguru alluded, if marijuana were legalized you would see a significant increase in the number of alternatives to smoking marijuana. Edibles (i.e. marijuana infused cookies, breath mints, etc.), vapors, oils, creams and other ways to consume marijuana would become much more prevalent in lieu of lighting one up & inhaling smoke.

 

Finally got time to do some online looking for studies:

 

Carcinogens in "dabbing" .... A new, dangerous marijuana trend

 

I saw a couple of studies that say weed is not as carcinogenic as tobacco. This study says that smoking anything is bad ... How Bad For You Is The 'Smoking' Part Of Smoking Pot? | Vermont Public Radio

 

This link like others I saw says no clear connection between cancer and smoking weed, partly because of the difficulty of doing studies since weed is mostly illegal ...Does Smoking Weed Cause Cancer | Marijuana and Lung Cancer

 

All in all, mixed evidence to date from what I have read so far, with the leaning being that marijuana smoke is less carcinogenic than tobacco smoke. That is all I have time for now.

 

On the legalization, I separate medicinal legalization from total legalization. I am ok with making it a prescribed drug for medicinal reasons. Making it completely legal is all about the money. It will increase revenue from taxation and it will decrease government costs of enforcing illegal marijuana. Similar to ending prohibition. Pick your poison. Legalizing an unhealthy drug is not something I think is good for people, but the negatives from legal marijuana may be less than the negatives from illegal marijuana. Pick your poison.

Nothing good in legalizing it except revenue? How about the medicinal benefits for terminally ill patients? How about the medicinal benefit for those who suffer from Parkinsons, epilepsy or seizures?

 

How about reducing the stress on the overcrowded prisons?

 

How about the government overseeing the production & distribution of marijuana so the consumer knows exactly what they're getting instead of relying on the black market?

 

How about eliminating the black market entirely, thereby reducing one's exposure to other illicit drugs?

 

Legalizing it will not get rid of the black market.

Legalizing it will not get rid of the black market.

 

No it won't, but it will make the black market much less attractive.

Finally got time to do some online looking for studies:

 

Carcinogens in "dabbing" .... A new, dangerous marijuana trend

 

I saw a couple of studies that say weed is not as carcinogenic as tobacco. This study says that smoking anything is bad ... How Bad For You Is The 'Smoking' Part Of Smoking Pot? | Vermont Public Radio

 

This link like others I saw says no clear connection between cancer and smoking weed, partly because of the difficulty of doing studies since weed is mostly illegal ...Does Smoking Weed Cause Cancer | Marijuana and Lung Cancer

 

All in all, mixed evidence to date from what I have read so far, with the leaning being that marijuana smoke is less carcinogenic than tobacco smoke. That is all I have time for now.

 

On the legalization, I separate medicinal legalization from total legalization. I am ok with making it a prescribed drug for medicinal reasons. Making it completely legal is all about the money. It will increase revenue from taxation and it will decrease government costs of enforcing illegal marijuana. Similar to ending prohibition. Pick your poison. Legalizing an unhealthy drug is not something I think is good for people, but the negatives from legal marijuana may be less than the negatives from illegal marijuana. Pick your poison.

You were making pretty good sense until the last paragraph. Making it legal is not 100% about the money. There are numerous benefits to marijuana that shouldn't require a prescription. And once again, marijuana can only be considered "dangerous" when talking about smoking it, and that's because inhaling fumes from any burning substances into your lunges is pretty stupid and dangerous.

No it won't, but it will make the black market much less attractive.

 

How so? Legalize it and people, imo, will be much less afraid to sell it. They will grow a few in their house and sell it without following any new laws. The black market will be attractive because uncle Sam wont be able to dip in to the profits.

How so? Legalize it and people, imo, will be much less afraid to sell it. They will grow a few in their house and sell it without following any new laws. The black market will be attractive because uncle Sam wont be able to dip in to the profits.

Except why would I buy it from you if I can grow my own. There will always be a black market, there is now for just about anything, but it will be a very small part of pie.

Except why would I buy it from you if I can grow my own. There will always be a black market, there is now for just about anything, but it will be a very small part of pie.

 

Because most people, pot heads included, are lazy. :lol2:

 

Im not arguing for it against marijuana, i don't care whether or not it's legalized. But the black market won't go away.

 

A new CNN article says crime in Colorado has risen since marijuana legalization. Whether or not thats because of marijuana is debatable, however some claim it has brought in a lot of transients. The article also says legalization did nothing to the black market.

 

Colorado governor won'''t rule out banning marijuana again. Here'''s why.

Because most people, pot heads included, are lazy. :lol2:

 

Im not arguing for it against marijuana, i don't care whether or not it's legalized. But the black market won't go away.

 

A new CNN article says crime in Colorado has risen since marijuana legalization. Whether or not thats because of marijuana is debatable, however some claim it has brought in a lot of transients. The article also says legalization did nothing to the black market.

 

Colorado governor won'''t rule out banning marijuana again. Here'''s why.

No doubt there will still be a black market. I also think a lot of the issues Colorado could be seeing is because they are the only game in town. So many have gone there because it's legal. As more states make it legal those issues would lessen.

 

Also when I talk about legalization, IMO it has to be full on legalization. Meaning if you want to grow it and sell it have at it. Then the only issue is whether you are paying tax or not. That would essentially eliminate the black market.

You were making pretty good sense until the last paragraph. Making it legal is not 100% about the money. There are numerous benefits to marijuana that shouldn't require a prescription. And once again, marijuana can only be considered "dangerous" when talking about smoking it, and that's because inhaling fumes from any burning substances into your lunges is pretty stupid and dangerous.

 

And "dabbing" it also is carcinogenic.

 

Plus, there have not been enough opportunities to study it since it is still considered illegal by the feds.

 

Basically, I am not in favor of it because I see too many negatives. This will discount my comments in the eyes of most, but will tell you where I am coming from .... I would be fine with alcohol being illegal also because it has too many negatives. Cigarettes the same. In a utopian world I would like them to be illegal even more than the other two because there are no real benefits I know of in smoking cigarettes. I know all of that is not realistic in our society. So legalize marijuana and at least get the cash benefits to society.

And "dabbing" it also is carcinogenic.

 

Plus, there have not been enough opportunities to study it since it is still considered illegal by the feds.

 

Basically, I am not in favor of it because I see too many negatives. This will discount my comments in the eyes of most, but will tell you where I am coming from .... I would be fine with alcohol being illegal also because it has too many negatives. Cigarettes the same. In a utopian world I would like them to be illegal even more than the other two because there are no real benefits I know of in smoking cigarettes. I know all of that is not realistic in our society. So legalize marijuana and at least get the cash benefits to society.

You just fail to list many legit negatives. Take out the negatives that come with smoking it, those are obvious and apply to smoking anything.

And "dabbing" it also is carcinogenic.

 

Plus, there have not been enough opportunities to study it since it is still considered illegal by the feds.

 

Basically, I am not in favor of it because I see too many negatives. This will discount my comments in the eyes of most, but will tell you where I am coming from .... I would be fine with alcohol being illegal also because it has too many negatives. Cigarettes the same. In a utopian world I would like them to be illegal even more than the other two because there are no real benefits I know of in smoking cigarettes. I know all of that is not realistic in our society. So legalize marijuana and at least get the cash benefits to society.

 

So it's your belief that people need to be protected from themselves?

You just fail to list many legit negatives. Take out the negatives that come with smoking it, those are obvious and apply to smoking anything.

What are some of the negatives that don't also exist for cigarettes and alcohol?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.