Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question on how to handle a coach situation

Featured Replies

I’m not in favor of name dropping unless the allegations can be verified. It’s not that I have any reason to believe cooperdad isn’t telling the truth, but these are pretty serious allegations that need to be investigated further before namedropping IMO.

 

That's why a meeting is needed with player, his parents, coach, assistant coaches and Athletic Director. And secretly with players if need be, to protect them. The light of day needs to be shown on this coach. I'm not for hanging the psycho name on anyone unless proof is found. But first in my book is the safety of this young man. Coach is on his own, he's a big boy.

  • Replies 54
  • Views 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously vague statements in this thread, but often we could ask a mod to change the title of the thread to say “question on how to handle a kid situation”?

Met a friend for a beer who I haven’t seen in 30yrs he started talking about his son playing baseball at Conner HS freshman at the time they had a great season won a lot after that year most never played again never got any playing time one young man pitched a shutout he never pitch another game. I just laughed, I always thought it was funny when a parent would say I wish we would have sent him/her to another school I would think to myself yeah it would be different there lol.

We all know (later in life) there are a ton of factors that go into Coaching/playing HS sports I’ve had my share of talks with coaches good/bad but I like things to be out on the table. HS sports should just be thought of as good barroom conversation for them later in life.

The something else in this story, that you're not getting, is this coach truly hates this young man or someone in the family. I have several coaches in my family and have heard instances like this one. There are psycho egotistical coaches out there who do, just for some reason personality conflict or family connection, develop hate for a young player. It's a shame that this young man has to live with this situation because at this age high school is the greatest thing in their life. This type of abuse that can become an emotional danger to the young person. .

 

Words like "Hate," "Psycho," and "Abuse" are usually clues that someone is overreacting. "Emotional danger?"

There has to be something else to this story. Either the kid really is not as good as his parents say he is or the coach did not exactly say the things he allegedly said.

 

I believe coaches care about winning games and doing whatever they think gives them the best chance to win games. People talk about politics and coaches having favorites but I do not by into that.

 

I have known more coaches then the average person over the course of my career and I have never met one that would sacrifice a "W" in order to please a parent.

 

I also do not know any coaches that "hate" student athletes. I have been accused of not liking players before because they were not starting or playing much. I've been a teacher for 13 years and a coach for 15 years. I do not think I would have lasted this long if I did not like kids.

 

Wish I could say the same.

This "coach won't talk to parents rule" is a joke. Good coaches don't care and will talk with anyone. A lot of coaches say they won't talk to parents, but they do, but it is ones they either have personal relationships with, or the more aggressive parents, or those who may have some influence otherwise in the school. Then, the families who play by the rules can be at a disadvantage. I raised three kids playing sports and saw all of the above. I coached JV, and I saw all of the above.

 

People buy into this stuff that a HS coach should have this power and be above reporach, and IMO, they should be treated as an educator, and if they can't handle that, then get out!

Words like "Hate," "Psycho," and "Abuse" are usually clues that someone is overreacting. "Emotional danger?"

 

You gave your opinion, I gave mine. I stand by what I posted. Yes, psycho, abuse and hate are strong words to you. Not me, I've walked in those parent's shoes. I know the damage an egotistical coach can do. Albeit, a long time ago. No, my children were not perfect and neither are coaches. The emotional damage that can be done to these young people is real. And it IS bullying.

You gave your opinion, I gave mine. I stand by what I posted. Yes, psycho, abuse and hate are strong words to you. Not me, I've walked in those parent's shoes. I know the damage an egotistical coach can do. Albeit, a long time ago. No, my children were not perfect and neither are coaches. The emotional damage that can be done to these young people is real. And it IS bullying.

 

Amen to that and I cannot click the like button enough for this post. Unless you and or your kids have been through this you just do not get it. It is bullying at its finest and by an adult no less. Embarrassing a kid amongst their peers is uncalled for no matter the situation. Just some of these "tough" guy coaches do not realize how "strong" some of these kids are for their age and often show more maturity than the adult coach. I know of several kids who had desires to be coaches one day and because of their experience with a bully no longer have any desire to be around the sport. The coaches that do this stuff should really feel PROUD of themselves.

Some have mentioned giving the name of the coach. Isn't obvious that it must be a school in Union that has a new coach this year!

Amen to that and I cannot click the like button enough for this post.

 

You clearly have not clicked the like button at all since as of 9:19, there is not a single like hit on that post.

  • Author
Some have mentioned giving the name of the coach. Isn't obvious that it must be a school in Union that has a new coach this year!

 

I have not said Union, but it is in Northern Kentucky. At this point I am not going to name the coach, as the boy and parents are working through the situation.

 

I do appreciate the insights given here as it has spurred some interesting conversation. If/when additional information is passed on to me I'll share.

I have not said Union, but it is in Northern Kentucky. At this point I am not going to name the coach, as the boy and parents are working through the situation.

 

I do appreciate the insights given here as it has spurred some interesting conversation. If/when additional information is passed on to me I'll share.

 

No need to say "Union" your name says enough.

Any progress in this bad situation

Come on Cooperdad let us know what the outcome is don’t run and hide

  • Author

I talked to the Dad last night. From what he said, the son "talked to the coach". I didn't get the impression that it was a 1 on 1 discussion but more like standing next to each other in the dugout type of thing....

 

The dad said that things have gotten better now that they are out on the field. Seems his son is proving himself a bit with hitting and base-running during inter-team scrimmages, so that is good.

 

He did also say his son was under the impression that one of the assistant coaches may have talked to the head coach privately about the situation (but didn't get told anything specific to back this theory up).

 

I don't know if this story is over or not but will keep you posted if I get anything additional as the season starts. For now though it looks like the situation has cooled and success on the field is improving the situation.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.