Notre Dame

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now let me preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the Notre Dame girls and their basketball abilities but I want to add my perspective. As a team they went 8-18 last year with 2 seniors and 7 juniors on their roster. They averaged 46 pts per game and gave up almost 55. The 2 seniors were 2 of the 3 leading scorers and Abbey Tierney (junior 2017) was the leading scorer at around 10 pts/game. The seniors are gone and Abbey was able to play only 2 games due to an injury that basically ended her season so I'm told. That left 6 juniors to take over the team that between them averaged about 15.5 pts/game.

Did you really expect those juniors to carry this team to a better record? I'm just asking. Sometimes a program gets to the point where a coach has a tough decision to make on whether to cut older girls that may really not add a lot to the overall team record but have been with the program for 6 years, and whether to suck it up and try to develop the younger girls at the jv level. How did the jv team do this year? Do they have some really good talent in the pipeline? Now I'm not saying the coach had no fault in the overall record but looking at the stats on KHSAA in 12 games against the better northern Ky teams and some other good Ohio and Ky. teams they averaged about 30 pts/game and gave up nearly 60 pts/game. Those were 12 of their 21 losses. Sometimes too when girls get to be seniors they just lose interest in sports. I don't know and we may never know but sometimes we are too quick to throw all the blame on the coach.

You have all the talent in the world at that school to pick from. You shouldn’t be losing that many games and they aren’t losing close games they are losing by a lot.

If the talent doesn't try out , how do you have "all the talent in the world at that school to pick from"?

It's tough for a coach to compete against talented teams with a team that doesn't match up to that talent. If the administration hired a coach, then they saw someone who met their expectations in a coach. To be fair that coach needs some time to get the talent already at the school interested in playing basketball and get kids to attend NDA from the middle schools. These things seem to run in cycles, so time is needed to get the program turned around.

I am not sure if it has anything to do with it, but Notre Dame is one of the few schools that does not allow middle schoolers to play up in basketball. So alot of the programs have girls playing in their system for 6 years. They do not and all the feeders do their own thing so freshman year are basically starting over with different system.

I am not sure if it has anything to do with it, but Notre Dame is one of the few schools that does not allow middle schoolers to play up in basketball. So alot of the programs have girls playing in their system for 6 years. They do not and all the feeders do their own thing so freshman year are basically starting over with different system.

This doesn't seem like a legitimate reason since same thing applies for volleyball and soccer and it doesn't seem to hurt them there. Saw Nda play a few times they just weren't very talented this year. If you don't have the horses it's hard to win. Nda hasn't really been a basketball power they had a little run for a few years but that area of feeder schools cares about volleyball and soccer . They put the basketballs away quickly every year to get ready for club volleyball and then spring select soccer. It's just what they play in that area. Now occasionally a star player or 2 happens upon them and they have a small run but it's not the sport that drives the private catholic schools over there.

Looking at the roster there are a few that play more than one sport. The problem is to play volleyball or soccer at NDA you need to be on a pretty serious club team adn train year round. That leaves very little time for school basketball much less club basketball,summer ball etc.

Looking at the roster there are a few that play more than one sport. The problem is to play volleyball or soccer at NDA you need to be on a pretty serious club team adn train year round. That leaves very little time for school basketball much less club basketball,summer ball etc.

Really? I don't buy that. Good sales pitch by club coaches. So you don't need to play select basketball? Why not?

I have heard from several basketball coaches that club volleyball players are told they cannot skip any volleyball for another sport. A coach I talked to said he had girls missing JV basketball games for volleyball practice. To play at a high level program like NDA you need to be on one of those teams. As far as soccer pretty much the same except maybe a little more leniency as far as missing winter training from what parents have told me. I don't have a kid at NDA or one that plays high school basketball so I have no clue how many of their kids play select basketball, but I believe someone commented on a previous thread it wasn't many.

I have heard from several basketball coaches that club volleyball players are told they cannot skip any volleyball for another sport. A coach I talked to said he had girls missing JV basketball games for volleyball practice. To play at a high level program like NDA you need to be on one of those teams. As far as soccer pretty much the same except maybe a little more leniency as far as missing winter training from what parents have told me. I don't have a kid at NDA or one that plays high school basketball so I have no clue how many of their kids play select basketball, but I believe someone commented on a previous thread it wasn't many.

I have heard the same about volleyball clubs. I also have heard about volleyball club coaches hitting girls as young as grade 6 hard to quit other sports and play only club volleyball year round. I think that is outrageous.

This doesn't seem like a legitimate reason since same thing applies for volleyball and soccer and it doesn't seem to hurt them there. Saw Nda play a few times they just weren't very talented this year. If you don't have the horses it's hard to win. Nda hasn't really been a basketball power they had a little run for a few years but that area of feeder schools cares about volleyball and soccer . They put the basketballs away quickly every year to get ready for club volleyball and then spring select soccer. It's just what they play in that area. Now occasionally a star player or 2 happens upon them and they have a small run but it's not the sport that drives the private catholic schools over there.

In basketball it is significant to get the younger players excited about your program as early as possible. For most middle schoolers, playing up is a positive experience and gets them excited about their future and being a part of your program.

It also keeps them from having a bad 8th grade basketball experience. With a lot of the top players moving up, good players left behind in the 8th grade league can have a long year with unbalanced skill sets. If girls lose interest in basketball in middle school, there are plenty of other options to choose from.