Cooper 62 Covington Catholic 59 (Take #2)

Nailed it!!!

I started the dynasty thread and I have zero love for the CovCath b-ball program. I am a NewCath guy with kids at Highlands. The thread was made from an observation of what CovCath had coming up through the ranks. So far they have finished in the state semi finals and the 9th Region reps have gone semi final and final after that. So, I was incorrect due to the fact the CC didn’t win 4 in a row. However, the 9th Region has never been so successful down state before, so I beg to throw in a caveat.

I started the dynasty thread and I have zero love for the CovCath b-ball program. I am a NewCath guy with kids at Highlands. The thread was made from an observation of what CovCath had coming up through the ranks. So far they have finished in the state semi finals and the 9th Region reps have gone semi final and final after that. So, I was incorrect due to the fact the CC didn’t win 4 in a row. However, the 9th Region has never been so successful down state before, so I beg to throw in a caveat.

Well actually Holmes was that successful on their own no less than 10 years ago. A semi finals appearance, then a state runner up and then the next year state champs. Then 2 years after that back to the state tournament. So Holmes kind was the dynasty that you thought Covcath was going to be with all the talent they have had. Which just shows truly how impressive that run from Holmes was. So while NKY has done very well these last few years. Holmes basically did all that on their own.

Covcath has the talent each year. However once again they have a very tough team in Cooper to worry about just to win the region.

Well actually Holmes was that successful on their own no less than 10 years ago. A semi finals appearance, then a state runner up and then the next year state champs. Then 2 years after that back to the state tournament. So Holmes kind was the dynasty that you thought Covcath was going to be with all the talent they have had. Which just shows truly how impressive that run from Holmes was. So while NKY has done very well these last few years. Holmes basically did all that on their own.

I don't think you can go back in 9th region history and find many 10 year runs better than what Holmes did from 04/05-14/15.

04/05: 24-7 9th Region Champs

05/06: 19-9 Upset in 9th Region Quarters (Greg Rice booted from team midseason)

06/07: 25-10 State Semi Finals

07/08: 34-3 State Runner Up

08/09: 36-2 State Champions

09/10: 25-6 9th Region Runner Up (Upset by Newport)

10/11: 21-11 9th Region Quarters

11/12: 23-7 9th Region Quarters (L to eventual Champ Boone Co)

12/13: 32-3 State Quarters

13/14: 28-6 9th Region Runner Up

14/15: 23-9 9th Region Runner Up

Covcath under Ruthsatz:

11/12: 17-14 9th Region Quarters

12/13: 27-7 9th Region Runner Up

13/14: 33-2 State Champion

14/15: 31-6 State Semi Finals

15/16: 28-7 9th Region Runner Up

16/17: 29-6 9th Region Runner Up

17/18: 7-2 TBD

Covcath has the talent and coaching to put together a similar run but we need to wait a few more years before we can compare the two.

I don't think you can go back in 9th region history and find many 10 year runs better than what Holmes did from 04/05-14/15.

04/05: 24-7 9th Region Champs

05/06: 19-9 Upset in 9th Region Quarters (Greg Rice booted from team midseason)

06/07: 25-10 State Semi Finals

07/08: 34-3 State Runner Up

08/09: 36-2 State Champions

09/10: 25-6 9th Region Runner Up (Upset by Newport)

10/11: 21-11 9th Region Quarters

11/12: 23-7 9th Region Quarters (L to eventual Champ Boone Co)

12/13: 32-3 State Quarters

13/14: 28-6 9th Region Runner Up

14/15: 23-9 9th Region Runner Up

Covcath under Ruthsatz:

11/12: 17-14 9th Region Quarters

12/13: 27-7 9th Region Runner Up

13/14: 33-2 State Champion

14/15: 31-6 State Semi Finals

15/16: 28-7 9th Region Runner Up

16/17: 29-6 9th Region Runner Up

17/18: 7-2 TBD

Covcath has the talent and coaching to put together a similar run but we need to wait a few more years before we can compare the two.

Totally agree Walter

This was a nice win for the Jags!

And a good time to lose for CCH. They are a good team now and will be a great team once they get all their talent actively contributing to the offense.

These two teams will square off two more times this season and I fully expect CCH to get at least one W in the rematches.

Though it's after the fact and we already know the outcome, the CovCath/Cooper game is now available to be viewed for free if anyone is interested. I've yet to see what other games from the KOB are available, but since this one is, I'll assume that others are as well.

| Live high school sports video on the NFHS Network | NFHSNetwork.com

A lot of talk about Cooper and CCH meeting 2 more times... is that second time really a foregone conclusion? If so, does that speak to the weakness of the 9th Region (which has recently been a really good Region), or the greatness of Cooper & CCH? Not a single sleeper, eh?

Last year this was supposed to be an epic 9th Region final and... it was underwhelming at best.

A lot of talk about Cooper and CCH meeting 2 more times... is that second time really a foregone conclusion? If so, does that speak to the weakness of the 9th Region (which has recently been a really good Region), or the greatness of Cooper & CCH? Not a single sleeper, eh?

Last year this was supposed to be an epic 9th Region final and... it was underwhelming at best.

The odds are no doubt pretty heavy with CovCath and Cooper being the two top indisputable favorites, but if you're entertaining the idea of who else could possibly sneak in and dash any of these two team's hopes, Newport recently being able to handle Lexington Catholic should definitely help add them to the conversation of a possible threat, and though I've yet to see them play I understand that Boone County isn't too shabby this season either.

Though they've yet to have a signature win like Newport has, they did play the Wildcats close, as well as beating NewCath by 8 in impressive fashion.

Most in the 9th should have learned our lesson by now to never say never as we've been surprised before, yet not too many betting men (figure of speech of course) would put their dough this season on anyone but Cooper and CovCath.

I've never had the opportunity to watch CCH and Cooper live. I did watch the rebroadcast of the KOB game and I was floored. You could feel the intensity and competition just watching it on video. What I saw was two teams that have a healthy dislike but respect for each other. The pace of that game and the physical nature of it was impressive. I saw kids helping each other off the floor after a hard foul; nothing dirty. CJ and AK both showed up for the game; and they both are phenomenal players. Good luck to both of the teams moving forward.

The first game was epic...the 2nd game was sloppy. That happens from time to time when both teams aren’t playing their best.