Kentucky Elk Drawing

woodsrider

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They ran a special on the elk restoration project on Kentucky Afield last week, including discussion with several of the retired KDFWR officers who conceived of and orchestrated the project. Pretty interesting to watch. I learned several things that I hadn't previously known. Among other things, I didn't realize that at one point elk could be found virtually everywhere in the lower 48 states with the exception of Florida and southeast Georgia.

Another thing I didn't realize was that the when the program was conceived, the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources initially told the officers that if they wanted to make the project happen, they were going to have to look elsewhere because there was no state money available to fund it. As a result, the Kentucky Elk Restoration Project was funded almost exclusively by a $1 million donation from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation based out of Montana, and backed by donations from their chapters throughout the United States (there are chapters in every state except Rhode Island and Hawaii). That's why Kentucky elk hunt lottery has been, and always will be open to non-residents. As it stands, the Kentucky elk program is currently paid for almost exclusively on the funds generated from non-resident lottery entries and non-resident hunting licenses.

They ran a special on the elk restoration project on Kentucky Afield last week, including discussion with several of the retired KDFWR officers who conceived of and orchestrated the project. Pretty interesting to watch. I learned several things that I hadn't previously known. Among other things, I didn't realize that at one point elk could be found virtually everywhere in the lower 48 states with the exception of Florida and southeast Georgia.

Another thing I didn't realize was that the when the program was conceived, the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources initially told the officers that if they wanted to make the project happen, they were going to have to look elsewhere because there was no state money available to fund it. As a result, the Kentucky Elk Restoration Project was funded almost exclusively by a $1 million donation from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation based out of Montana, and backed by donations from their chapters throughout the United States (there are chapters in every state except Rhode Island and Hawaii). That's why Kentucky elk hunt lottery has been, and always will be open to non-residents. As it stands, the Kentucky elk program is currently paid for almost exclusively on the funds generated from non-resident lottery entries and non-resident hunting licenses.

You know, I knew it was pretty much funded by the RMEF but never really thought about it in regards to allowing non-residents. That's an excellent point and also interesting that the program is currently paid for by the non-resident fees. I will try to find that episode of Kentucky Afield.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
So if you get a tag, do you pretty much need to hire a guide who is familiar with the layout of the land and where you can and cannot hunt?

Yes.

Also, the Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources hosts an event at Jenny Wiley State Park each year where they invite all if the tag awardees and registered elk guides in order to help get hunters in contact with guides.

I wonder how many have been drawn 2 times or 3 times.??????

I've personally met 2 people who have been draw twice. The registered hunters who live within the elk restoration zone are also given their own secondary lottery like a week before each season if the people who win tags haven't purchased their elk licenses by the deadline.

I've personally met 2 people who have been draw twice. The registered hunters who live within the elk restoration zone are also given their own secondary lottery like a week before each season if the people who win tags haven't purchased their elk licenses by the deadline.

Do they release the number of entries every year?