Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Evansville plane crash: An anniversary look-back

Featured Replies

Oh man I remember hearing about it that night, horrible memories.

This crash and the Marshall football plane crash are the two I remember the most...both just incredibly tragic...

I had literally never heard about this before today. Crazy.

After having tremendous success at the DII level, the crash occurred after just 4 games into their inaugural season in DI. Perhaps they would have never found much success at that level but despite a good season here and there, it feels like in some ways they never recovered from this tragedy.

 

I walked past the weeping basketball to and from class for four years. My freshman year was only 16 years after the event, so there were still several members of the university faculty and staff that had been affected by the crash. Aces basketball was still heavily supported by the city while I was there. However, I attended very few games. Seems like they often conflicted with UK games (back before things such as DVR) and I would skip the games in favor of watching the Wildcats. In hindsite, I wish I would have attended a few more Aces games.

 

It was pretty cool that the Pittsburg Steelers came to town to play a charity basketball game for the player's families. I had never heard about that prior to reading this article.

 

bball.JPG

  • Author

I hate that I never made the trip to Roberts Stadium back in the day.

 

I still remember Marty Simmons, the player. If I remember right, he played in goggles a lot back then.

I hate that I never made the trip to Roberts Stadium back in the day.

 

I still remember Marty Simmons, the player. If I remember right, he played in goggles a lot back then.

Its still weird driving by there and it being nothing but a grass field.

Does anyone have a list of the coaching staff that year. Looking at the picture in the story, the one 4th from the left looks a lot like former Ashland Coach Ernie Simpson.

What's crazy is that the lone member of the team, David Furr, who wasn't on the plane, was killed in a car wreck after being hit by a drunk driver only 2 weeks later.

Does anyone have a list of the coaching staff that year. Looking at the picture in the story, the one 4th from the left looks a lot like former Ashland Coach Ernie Simpson.

 

Not according to this.

 

Air Indiana Flight 216 - Wikipedia

Not according to this.

 

Air Indiana Flight 216 - Wikipedia

 

Thanks. I didn't figure it was him, but it looks a lot like him. How eerie is this? Sounds like a Final Destination movie.

 

David Furr was the remaining member of the team who did not make the trip; he and his brother were killed two weeks later in an auto accident.[3]

Thanks. I didn't figure it was him, but it looks a lot like him. How eerie is this? Sounds like a Final Destination movie.

 

David Furr was the remaining member of the team who did not make the trip; he and his brother were killed two weeks later in an auto accident.[3]

 

Yeah that is extremely creepy.

Thanks. I didn't figure it was him, but it looks a lot like him. How eerie is this? Sounds like a Final Destination movie.

 

David Furr was the remaining member of the team who did not make the trip; he and his brother were killed two weeks later in an auto accident.[3]

 

It's like my post was never even made....:D :lol2:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.