Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Central 60 Belfry 21

Featured Replies

How many turnovers were there? Anyone have a link to the stats for this game?

  • Replies 34
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooohhh!

 

No dancing under the street light this year.

 

Had to be a tough night on Pond Creek.

 

Would have liked to have seen Coach Haywood get his "one for the thumb."

Just got home from Orlando... had to follow this one via text and suffice to say it was surprising.

 

From what I gather from folks I trust Central just was a nightmare matchup for a Belfry defense that has struggled to stop teams with a dual threat option that can effectively block the Pirates' smaller line and get on the Linebackers.

 

Belfry had several big turnovers that Central forced that were point swingers.

 

Belfry hasn't had 60 points scored on them in a looooooong time. Like over 50+ years looong time.

 

The bounces also just didn't go their way. The play before the Half was a backbreaker.

 

I don't think there is a 39 point gap between these teams, but on Friday there was because Belfry simply could not stop Central.

 

The one thing I do hate in all this is that Derek Wellman's amazing career had to end with him on the sideline due to an ankle injury the week before. As Bobby Norman, Belfry's play by play guy said, "Belfry did not have their heart out there with Wellman missing."

 

I am not sure the impact having Wellman would have had, Belfry certainly still probably loses, but for a kid who has epitomized what Belfry football is it doesn't seem fair that he wasn't able to go out fighting and giving every bit of his soul like we have seen. Wellman will be missed and I can only say that some D-1 program would make themselves very, very happy if they took a chance on him.

One last closing thought as I put a bow on this Belfry season.

 

As a lifetime Belfry fan the loss was bittersweet. I hated seeing these Seniors see the Championship run come to an end on their watch, and the manner which it happened certainly was not fitting. At the same time, in retrospect the pride I have for what this run has represented is undeniable.

 

I remember as a kid when Belfry was a program that everyone had great pride in, but never seemed to get over the hump. So many years ended in the 2nd or 3rd Round with near misses and "what could have beens".

 

I almost envied some of the State's elite programs and how they were able to just put a dominant product on the field every single week.

 

With Friday's loss Belfry ends a streak of 7 consecutive State Finals and four consecutive titles. Furthermore, they had reached the Semi's 13 out of the past 14 seasons which featured six titles and 10 Finals appearances. That is ridiculous!

 

I fully expect Belfry to remain in the top heap of 3A for the next few years, but even if this was the end of the run and the talent pool were to dip while other powers rise... WOW... I can only say how much gratitude I have had for the players, coaches, administration, and all those involved with taking Belfry from a solid program to that level I always envied in others. Thank you!

I still need to get down to a Belfry game one of these days. Transparent pie for Watusi and ATLCat.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.